Reminger Co., LPA’s Architects and Engineers / Construction Liability Group is comprised of attorneys with extensive experience handling the varied legal issues faced by the construction industry.
Reminger Co., LPA’s Architects and Engineers / Construction Liability Group is comprised of attorneys with extensive experience handling the varied claims and disputes amongst all participants in the construction industry. Our construction attorneys represent owners, contractors, subcontractors, architects, engineers, and material suppliers in a variety of construction-related matters including:
- Errors & omissions claims against design professionals
- Construction defect claims
- General liability claims against designers and contractors
- Claims involving commercial explosives and blasting
- Other claims involving damages for personal injury, property damage, economic loss, and project delays
The Group also represents private clients in various construction matters including:
- Mechanic's lien
- Consumer Sales Practices Act
- Prompt Payment Act
- Other contract related claims
Our attorneys are experienced not only in litigation matters before state and federal courts, but also in a variety of alternative dispute forums, including arbitrations and mediations in accordance with the Construction Industry Dispute Resolution Procedures of the American Arbitration Association.
Licensed in Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Tennessee and West Virginia, our attorneys are able to serve clients throughout the region with our unique perspective and guidance.
Individuals of our practice group are widely recognized by their peers and other industry leaders by Best Lawyers in America, Ohio Super Lawyers, Indiana Super Lawyers and Kentucky Super Lawyers.
Honors & Recognitions
Reminger is proud to announce that U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers® awarded the firm with a number of national and regional rankings. In addition, our Construction Law group was ranked as Metropolitan Cleveland Tier 1 for 2020.
Representative Clients: American Structurepoint, Austin Building & Design, Ford Associates Architects, Great Lakes Construction Company, Kokosing Construction, Legacy Health Services, Miles Mechanical, Michels Corporation, Shenberger Associates, Solar Testing Laboratories, Stantec Consulting Services, Inc., The Shelly Company, Trumbull County Engineer, Turner Construction Company
Insurance Carriers/TPAs: Argo Insurance, Beazley Group, Berkley Alliance, Chubb, CNA, Cincinnati Insurance Company, Colony Insurance, Liberty Mutual Insurance Company, Markel Insurance, Ohio Casualty, XL Catlin, Westfield Insurance, Zurich Insurance
- May 13, 2019, Plaintiff VerdictTrumbull
Represented plaintiff in breach of contract and conversion case against contractor for failing to perform adequate demolition work in a timely manner.
- May 10, 2019, ReversedBedford Municipal Court
Successfully overturned Magistrate’s bench trial verdict awarding Plaintiff full damages, fees, and interest during oral arguments on objections and motion for a new trial. Immediately after, successfully argued for a directed Defense verdict based on the first trial’s transcript in lieu of a second trial.
- Sep 26, 2018, Summary Judgment Affirmed1st Appellate District (Hamilton County)
Charles Patterson, et al. v. Adelta, Inc.
Appeal of summary judgment in premises liability case involving inherently dangerous work.
- Mar 23, 2018, Favorable OutcomeJefferson County, KY
Defense of construction liability and personal injury claim, resulting in a jury verdict that was $562,000 less than the damages originally requested by the plaintiff
- Mar 10, 2017, Summary Judgment GrantedClinton
Obtained summary judgment in a case involving claims of negligent design and construction of a fertilizer grain facility.
- Nov 4, 2016, Plaintiff VerdictClermont
Defense of construction liability personal injury matter
- Oct 27, 2016, Reversed and Remanded8th Appellate Dist
Conte, Jr. v. Blossom Homes, LLC
Contractor appealed trial court’s denial of enforceability of arbitration agreement in residential construction contract
- Mar 10, 2016, Favorable OutcomeAmerican Arbitration Assn.
Arbitration defense of construction liability defect and warranty claim
- Sep 19, 2015, Motion For Summary Judgment GrantedLogan
Motion for summary judgment was granted in favor of client in prosecution of indemnification crossclaim.
- Jan 22, 2015, Motion For Summary Judgment GrantedUSDC, Eastern District of Kentucky
Third-party claims for indemnity, contribution, and apportionment arising from allegedly defective product (crane remote control).
- Aug 7, 2014, Defense VerdictDavies Cty., KY
construction liability property damage claim
- May 20, 2014, Motion for Judgment on the Pleadings grantedUSDC, Western District of Virginia
Defense of an Architects and Engineering Professional Malpractice Claim
- Feb 5, 2014, Finding For DefenseMadison
Arbitration defense of property damage construction liability
- Feb 8, 2013, Favorable OutcomeWayne
Defense of construction design liability claim
- Nov 16, 2011, Jury Trial - Directed VerdictCuyahoga County
Defense of architect against professional negligence claim
- Jul 15, 2011, Finding For DefendantColumbiana
Arbitration defense of property damage construction case
- Jul 15, 2011, Plaintiff VerdictCuyahoga
Defense of construction liability property damage claim.
- Jun 27, 2011, Judgment Affirmed5th Appellate Dist
Coughlin v. Acock Associates
Motion for summary judgment granted in favor of client was affirmed on appeal in construction case.
- Mar 24, 2011, Judgment Reversed8th Appellate Dist
Cincinnati Insurance Co. v. City of Cleveland
Motion for summary judgment granted in favor of opposing party was reversed and remanded on appeal in construction case.
- Feb 28, 2011, Judgment Affirmed3rd Appellate Dist.
C. Heider, Admrx., et al. v. U.S. Utility Contractor Co.
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment in design defect of traffic signal wrongful death action.
- Feb 10, 2011, Judgment Affirmed8th Appellate Dist
Panzica Construction Co. v. Zaremba, Inc.
Motion to dismiss and compel arbitration was granted in favor of client affirmed on appeal in construction case.
- Dec 17, 2010, Defense VerdictMontgomery
Defense of construction liability property damage claim
- Sep 30, 2010, Judgment Affirmed6th Appellate Dist
Judith Duffett v. Greg Abdoo, et al. v. Phillip Mata, et al.
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court result in construction defect liability case.
- Sep 9, 2010, Award on counterclaimMontgomery
Defense of commercial construction litigation claim
- Feb 4, 2010, Defense VerdictTrumbull
Arbitration - Defense of construction liability property damage claim
- Oct 16, 2009, Defense VerdictShelby
Defense of construction liability property damage claim
- Apr 8, 2009, Award for ClaimantHamilton
Arbitration defense of construction residential multiple defect claim
- Oct 2007, Defense VerdictHamilton
Defense of claim alleging negligent construction during installation of sanitary sewer
system causing flooding of numerous apartments.
- Crain's Cleveland Business, Sep 14, 2020
- Reminger Co., LPA Announces Appointment of Julian T. Emerson as Co-Chair of Architects and Engineers/Construction Liability Practice GroupPress Release, Jan 13, 2020
- Press Release, Nov 15, 2019
- Press Release, Nov 14, 2019
- Press Release, Nov 5, 2019
- Nov 1, 2019
- Press Release, Aug 15, 2019
- Press Release, Nov 1, 2018
- Press Release, Aug 15, 2018
- Press Release, May 25, 2018
- Press Release, Dec 6, 2017
- Press Release, Nov 1, 2017
- Press Release, Nov 1, 2016
- Press Release, Jun 8, 2016
- Press Release, Dec 2, 2015
- Press Release, Nov 13, 2015
- Press Release, Nov 2, 2015
- Multiple Issues Concerning Blasting Operations and LitigationLexington, KY, Dec 6, 2019
- Blasting Liability: What Your Insurance Company Wants You to Know.Lexington, KY, Dec 5, 2019
- Protecting Yourself from Liability: Blasting RecordsLexington, KY, Aug 23, 2019
- Managing the Scene of an AccidentLexington, KY, Jan 2019
- Managing the Scene of an AccidentCharleston, WV, Nov 2018
- Avoiding the Pitfalls of Typical Risk Shifting Contract CausesNational Webinar, Sep 26, 2018
- Risk Management in Blasting Operations: Lessons Learned the Hard WaySan Antonio, TX, Jan 2018
- Risk Management in Blasting Operations: Lessons Learned the Hard Way, Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA)Beckley, WV, Jan 2018
- Responding to the Inevitable Blast ComplaintLexington, KY, Dec 2017
- Insurance Claims and How You Can Impact Your ExposureState College, PA, Nov 2017
- Managing Contractual Obligations and Insurance RequirementsSpringfield, OH, Aug 23, 2017
- Legal Issues for Professional SurveyorsAda, OH, Jul 28, 2017
- Liability Issues and PreventionMultiple Locations around the Commonwealth, 2017
- Protection from Liability: Before, During & After DetonationLouisville, KY, Mar 2017
- Protection from Liability: Before, During & After DetonationSpringfield, IL, Feb 23, 2017
- Blasting Complaints: What to Do (and NOT Do) in Response to ComplaintsLexington, KY, Dec 9, 2016
- Applying Risk Management Principles to the Practice of EngineeringHalf Moon Engineering CE Seminar, Louisville, KY, May 12, 2016
- Protection from Liability: Before, During & After DetonationIndianapolis, IN, Spring 2016
- Protection from Liability: Before, During & After DetonationLas Vegas, NV, Feb 3, 2016
- Protecting Yourself from Liability: Before, During & After the ShotBeckley, WV, Dec 2015
- Protecting Yourself from Liability: Before, During & After the ShotState College, PA, Nov 2015
- Protecting Yourself from Liability: Before, During & After the ShotMarion, IN, Aug 2015
- Protecting Yourself from Liability: Before, During & After the ShotCharleston, WV, Spring 2015
- Investigating & Defending Property Damage ClaimsCharleston, WV, Mar 2015
- Protecting Yourself from Liability: Before, During & After the ShotLexington, KY, Dec 2014
- Construction LawSeminar Series – Mock TrialHarmonie Construction Conference - Atlanta, GA, Jul 23, 2014
- Directed Verdict and Summary Judgment Strategies in Construction Liability ClaimsHarmonie Group Annual Construction Conference - Phoenix, AZ, Nov 12, 2013
- Defending Blasting Claims—Blast RecordsState College, PA, Nov 2013
- Indemnification Clauses and Additional Insured Provisions in Construction ContractsHarmonie Group Trucking and Construction Conference - Chicago, IL, Jun 20, 2013
- Defending Blasting Claims—Blast RecordsLexington, KY, Dec 2012
- Recommended Practices to Reduce Architect and Engineer and Construction Liability ClaimsNorthern Kentucky American Society of Civil Engineers - Lexington, KY, Dec 8, 2011
- Overview of Professional Liability Law for Engineers and SurveyorsNorthern Kentucky American Society of Civil Engineers - Lexington, KY, Dec 8, 2011
- Emerging Law on FHA/ADA Claims in the Construction Industry - Harmonie GroupConstruction Law Seminar - New York, NY, Aug 24, 2011
- Emerging Law in FHA/ADA claims - Standing and State Law Claims for Contribution and IndemnityHarmonie Dallas Construction Meeting - Dallas, TX, Jun 27, 2011
- Emerging Law on FHA/ADA Claims: Standing and State Law Claims for Contribution/IndemnityHarmonie Group Construction Seminar - Chicago, IL, Jun 6, 2011
- Law and the Profession of EngineeringOhio Professional Engineers - Cleveland, OH, Apr 20, 2011
- Defending Blasting ClaimsColumbus, OH, Mar 2011
- Trenton, OH, Nov 17, 2010
- Overview of the Law of Ohio Professional EngineersDec 9, 2009
- Overview of Professional Liability Insurance as it Relates to Architects and Engineers and Ohio Professional Engineers Ethic LawsDec 9, 2009
- 2009 Ohio Law Update with key cases pending before Ohio Supreme Court and their impactAug 6, 2009
- Dentistry & The Law, Ohio State University College of DentistryColumbus, Ohio, Nov 1, 2007
- Understanding Engineering Liability Law in Ohio, Half Engineering SeminarColumbus, Ohio, Nov 1, 2007
- Relief Opportunities for Small Businesses Under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) ActApr 1, 2020
- Arbitration agreement is enforceable in residential construction contract despite homeowner’s claim of not having read itPublished Case: Conte v. Blossom Homes, LLC 2016-Ohio-7480, Jan 4, 2017
- Kentucky Construction Law CompendiumReminger Client Tools, Aug 5, 2012
- DRI - The Voice, Volume 10 Issue 42, Oct 19, 2011
- Emerging Law in Contribution and IndemnityDRI – For the Defense September 2011 Issue, Sep 1, 2011
- Does a Municipality Really Enjoy Absolute Immunity from Subrogation Claims - Ohio Association of Civil Trial AttorneysSummer 2011 Quarterly Review, Jul 15, 2011
- Jan 1, 2010
- "Defense of Claims with Insurance Implications"Construction Law Client Strategies Aspiratory Books 2007, Apr 5, 2007
- Breach of Contract Claims Find No Quarter in the Language of Ohio’s Statute of Repose: R.C. § 2305.131 Applies Both Tort and Contract ClaimsAug 12, 2019
- Ohio Supreme Court Rules That Construction Defects in the Work of Subcontractors Are Not Covered Under a CGL PolicyOct 11, 2018
- The Indiana Supreme Court Finds a Non-Delegable Duty of Worksite Safety Created in Form Design-Build Contracts Between the Owner and General ContractorMay 16, 2017
- Ohio Court Reaffirms The Duty And Liability Of An Owner To An Independent Contractor Involving An Inherently Dangerous CircumstanceNov 2, 2016
- Jun 13, 2016
- Jan 14, 2014
- Jul 25, 2013
- Aug 2, 2012
- Mar 23, 2012
- May 6, 2010
- Nov 3, 2009
- A Contractor's Liability to an Independent Contractor Requires the Contractor's Active ParticipationOct 23, 2007
- Indemnity Clauses In Construction Contracts Are Enforceable If Compliant With Ohio's Anti-Indemnity StatuteOct 23, 2007
- Estate and Trust Dispute Center of Ohio, Aug 22, 2017
- Estate and Trust Dispute Center of Ohio, Jul 6, 2017
All Practice Group Attorneys
- Julian T. Emerson
- Robert W. Hojnoski
- Logan C. Hughes
- B. Scott Jones
- Timothy B. Spille
- Brandon L. Abshier
- Ralph E. Burnham
- Mark R. Bush
- John Dunn
- Kenneth L. Finley
- Kevin P. Foley
- Michael P. Gilbride
- Jayme L. Hart
- Roy A. Hulme
- Robert Kish
- Robert Lotz
- Steven Lowery
- Rafael P. McLaughlin
- Ian D. Mitchell
- James O'Connor
- Keona R. Padgett
- Anthony Pernice
- Andrew C. Pettijohn
- J. Kelly Ratliff
- Jade A. Stewart
- R. Gregory Sylvester
- Michael J. Valentine
- Stephen E. Walters
- Robert S. Yallech