Zachary B. Pyers is a Partner in the Columbus, Ohio, office of Reminger Co., L.P.A., and actively practices throughout Ohio and West Virginia. His practice focuses on civil litigation, including complex litigation, corporate and commercial litigation, professional liability, and general liability. Zach regularly litigates complex commercial, professional liability, tort, and class action matters. He represents clients in commercial disputes, including: breach of contract claims; anti-trust actions; covenants not to compete; and, business torts. In his professional liability practice, Zach represents: attorneys; accountants; architects; engineers; surveyors; builders; real estate agents, insurance agents; directors and officers; and, investment advisors in litigation and licensure proceedings.
Zach is actively involved in the community. He serves on several Boards and in leadership roles within legal associations. He is an Adjunct Professor at Capital University Law School, where he teaches courses in Depositions, E-Discovery, Expert Witnesses and the school's Mock Trial Competition team.
Successfully represented and resolved federal Sherman Anti-Trust Act claims against companies for alleged concerted efforts.
Obtained summary judgment for trade association on Ohio anti-trust claims. Results were upheld on appeal.
Obtained dismissal for attorney client in a legal malpractice action, where the underlying action stemmed from foreign-based financial instruments.
Obtained dismissal of legal malpractice claims against an AM law 200 firm and firm’s partner, stemming from underlying claims surround a corporate transaction.
Successfully resolved traumatic brain injury claims against pharmaceutical company.
Successfully represented an individual on liability claims from the alleged improper importation of exotic vehicles.
Successful representation on numerous matters for insurance agents who have allegedly failed to secure adequate coverage for catastrophic losses.
Obtained summary judgment on behalf of non-profit client against former Board members’ breach of fiduciary duties and fraudulent actions.
Obtained dismissal on behalf of landlord on underlying claims of mold exposure in rental property.
Obtained dismissal of claims against extermination company relating to allegations of pesticide exposure.
Obtained motion for summary judgment against legal malpractice claims asserted against a guardian ad litem.
Successfully defended numerous design professionals and/or contractors in construction litigation matters.
Obtained defense verdict at trial against claims that a vehicle was wrongfully repossessed and a breach of the peace.
Obtained a defense verdict in favor of physicians who performed a laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy.
Obtained defense verdict at trial for government entity on breach of contract claims.
Obtain trial verdict in favor of trucking company stemming from motor vehicle accident.
Obtained defense verdict in an admitted liability wrongful death case in favor transportation company.
Honors & Recognitions
2019 Ohio Association of Civil Trial Attorneys Outstanding Young Lawyer Award
2018 and 2019 Top Lawyers Central Ohio, Columbus CEO Magazine
2016 Young Alumnus of the Year, Capital University Law School
AV Preeminent® Rated with Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™
Community & Professional
American Bar Association
Federal Bar Association
Ohio State Bar Association
Ohio State Bar Foundation
American Bar Foundation
District of Columbia Bar Association
Columbus Bar Association
Defense Research Institute
Ohio Association of Civil Trial Attorneys
Claims & Litigation Management Alliance
Ohio University, College of Business, Society of Alumni and Friends
Capital University Law School Alumni Board
Litigation Counsel of America
Capital University Law School, Adjunct Professor
Ridesharing and Autonomous Vehicle Litigation
- Apr 30, 2017, Defense VerdictFranklin
Defense of conversion vehicle repossession
- Apr 1, 2014, Judgment AffirmedU.S. District Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
LaBorde v. City of Gahanna and RITA
Plaintiff appealed governmental liability class action claim against City and Regional Income Taxing Authority based on constitutional rights regarding computation of City income tax credit.
- Aug 6, 2012, Defense VerdictAllen
Defense of medical malpractice laparoscopic hysterectomy
- Dec 3, 2010, Favorable OutcomeFranklin
Defense of dental malpractice claim
- Nov 16, 2010, Judgment Affirmed10th Appellate Dist
Richard Weldon, et al. v. Prairie Township, et al.
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment in claim for damages arising out of township’s independent contractor work.
- Oct 21, 2010, Finding For DefendantFranklin
Arbitration defense of property damage governmental liability claim arising out of youth athletic organization.
- Aug 16, 2010, Plaintiff VerdictFranklin
Arbitration prosecution and defense of trucking liability property damage claim.
- Feb 3, 2010, Defense VerdictFranklin
Defense of wrongful dealth commercial transportation admitted liability claim
- Nov 19, 2009, Plaintiff VerdictU.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
Defense of entertainment commercial premises liability, personal injury claim involving multiple fractures.
- Feb 20, 2009, Finding For DefenseFranklin
Arbitration defense of property damage trucking liability claim
- Press Release, Oct 19, 2020
- Press Release, May 11, 2020
- How to Effectively Use Depositions in TrialClear Law Institute, Mar 11, 2020
- Jury Selection – Advanced TechniquesLaw Practice Association CLE Webinar, Feb 4, 2020
- Zachary B. Pyers Receives Outstanding Young Lawyer Award From the Ohio Association of Civil Trial AttorneysPress Release, Nov 26, 2019
- Press Release, May 22, 2019
- Expert Witness Course Taught by Zachary Pyers and Michael Valentine Featured in The Columbus DispatchPress Release, Mar 21, 2018
- Press Release, Dec 6, 2017
- Press Release, Aug 8, 2017
- Press Release, Dec 2, 2016
- Sep 4, 2016
- The Columbus Dispatch, Aug 30, 2016
- Press Release, Jun 24, 2016
- Press Release, Apr 22, 2016
- Press Release, Dec 2, 2015
- Capital University Law School Press Release, Nov 10, 2015
- Press Release, Dec 3, 2014
- Press Release, Nov 18, 2014
- Press Release, Feb 14, 2014
- Press Release, Dec 5, 2013
- Webinar, Nov 12, 2020
- How to Avoid and Correct Attorney or Expert MistakesJun 2020
- Jury Selection: Advanced TechniquesWebinar, Feb 4, 2020
- Mastering Uber, Lyft, and Ride Sharing LawColumbus, OH, Aug 21, 2019
- Depositions of Corporate RepresentativesColumbus, OH, Jun 19, 2019
- Depositions of Corporate RepresentativesWebinar, Jun 17, 2019
- Jury Selection: Advanced TechniquesArlington, VA, Apr 30, 2019
- Ride Sharing Liability and Injury Cases: Uber/Lyft and LiabilityColumbus, OH, Mar 28, 2019
- Advanced Auto Injury Claims: Collecting Social Media, Texts, Smart Phone Evidence and MoreColumbus, OH, Mar 6, 2019
- Initial Filing and Discovery in an Auto Injury LitigationColumbus, OH, Dec 9, 2018
- Jury DeselectionColumbus, OH, Nov 2, 2018
- Defendant’s View of Jury SelectionCleveland, OH, Sep 24, 2018
- How to Deal with Difficult Counsel – ProfessionallyNational Webinar, Aug 14, 2018
- Uber Lyft and Litigating Ride-sharing CasesWebinar, Aug 2, 2018
- Liens and Subrogation and Preserving and Collecting Social Media, Text, Smartphone EvidenceColumbus, OH, Jun 21, 2018
- Top Civil Trial PitfallsColumbus, OH, Jun 14, 2018
- Eliminating/Minimizing Liens in Personal Injury SettlementsColumbus, OH, May 1, 2018
- Jury Selection – Advance TechniquesArlington, VA, Apr 17, 2018
- Top Civil Trial PitfallsWebinar, Mar 27, 2018
- Practical Application of E-Discovery and Document ReviewColumbus, OH, Jul 31, 2017
- Legal Professionalism 101Columbus, OH, Jul 18, 2017
- Advanced Auto Accident LitigationColumbus, OH, Jul 12, 2017
- Ethics in Insurance Bad Faith ClaimsAkron, OH, Jun 8, 2017
- E-Discovery and BankruptcyColumbus, OH, May 3, 2017
- Effective Case Presentation at Trial – ExhibitsColumbus, OH, Mar 23, 2017
- The Doctor Under Cross Examination in DepositionColumbus, OH, Mar 7, 2017
- Satisfying Liens in Personal Injury SettlementsColumbus, OH, Jan 12, 2017
- Effective Use of Courtroom Technology and Legal EthicsColumbus, OH, Dec 14, 2016
- Professionalism – The Attorney’s Obligation to the Client, the Court, and Other PartiesColumbus, OH, Nov 30, 2016
- Using Expert Witnesses to Get Your Evidence In (and Keep Theirs Out)Columbus, OH, Oct 31, 2016
- Partnership with Capital University’s Law School: Deposition and Discovery ClinicColumbus, OH, Oct 7, 2016
- Structuring, Funding an Administration of Liens – Pitfalls and PointersColumbus, OH, Aug 20, 2016
- Finding the “Right” Technical Assistance in responding to E-discoveryColumbus, OH, Aug 4, 2016
- Medicare Compliance and ERISA LiensColumbus, OH, Jun 23, 2016
- Deposition in Personal Injury Litigation Start to FinishNational Business Institute CLE, Columbus, OH, Apr 21, 2016
- Professionalism for Young LawyersOhio Chapter of Federal Bar Assn. Capitol University, Columbus, OH, Feb 23, 2016
- Ethical Issues andnSettlement NegotiationsNational Business Institute, Cleveland, OH, Nov 19, 2015
- Advanced Subrogated Lien InterestsNational Business Institute CLE, Columbus, OH, Nov 17, 2015
- Preparing for and Conducting Effective DepositionsCapital University Law School Curriculum, Columbus, OH, Oct 8, 2015
- Medicare/Liability Insurance and the Relation Between Them in Personal Injury Cases.Insurance Law Committee - Ohio State Bar Assn. CLE, Columbus, OH, Aug 21, 2015
- Personal Injury Claims: The Insurance Defense PerspectiveNational Business Institute CLE, Columbus, OH, Aug 17, 2015
- Satisfying Liens in Personal Injury SettlementsNational Webinar – National Business Institute, Cleveland, OH, Jul 31, 2015
- Medicare Secondary Payor Act: Implications and Impact on Litigation - 2015 PerspectiveKnowledge Group National Seminar, Columbus, OH, Jun 24, 2015
- Damages, Liens and Subrogation in Settlement NegotiationsNational Business Institute CLE, Columbus, OH, Dec 19, 2014
- Getting What is Needed from Direct ExaminationCapital University Law School Faculty and Students, Oct 22, 2014
- What Medicare and Medicaid Reporting is Expected of You in a Third Party Liability SettlementNational Institute of Medicare and Medicaid Education Conference, Chicago, Illinois, Sep 30, 2014
- Ethical Considerations When Handling Medicare Set-AsidesNational Business Institute CLE Seminar, Cleveland, OH, Sep 19, 2014
- Medicare Secondary Payer Compliance: New RequirementsNational Business Institute CLE Seminar, Akron, OH, Sep 18, 2014
- A Primer for Medicare/Medicaid Rx Component, Mandatory Insurer Reporting Compliance and Set Aside AgreementsNational Institute of Medicare/Medicaid Education Conference - Boston, MA, Jun 30, 2014
- Deposition Dos and Don’tsOhio State Bar Assn. Annual Convention, Columbus, OH, May 1, 2014
- Reporting Entities under the Medicare Secondary Payer ActNational Business Institute for Medicare/Medicaid Education, New Orleans, Mar 26, 2014
- Lien ResolutionsNational Business Institute CLE Seminar - Akron, OH, Sep 26, 2013
- The Medicare Super Lien and Other Liens SimplifiedNational Business Institute CLE - Columbus, OH, Jul 26, 2013
- Medicare and Medicaid Required Claim Payment ReportingNational Institute for Medicare and Medicaid Education Conference - Boston, MA, Jun 24, 2013
- Claims Management and Tort Reform LimitationsBig Lots CEU Institute - Columbus, OH, May 18, 2011
- 'Are you in compliance with the Medicare Secondary Payor Act?'Jun 1, 2009
- Proper Medical Documentation and Patient Consent IssuesApr 13, 2009
- Ohio Association of Civil Trial Attorneys Quarterly Review, Nov 2020
- American Bar Association, Oct 30, 2020
- Buried in Paper: Dealing with Aggressive DiscoveryThe Columbus Bar Association, Aug 7, 2020
- Detangling Liablity in Ridesharing AccidentsKing County Bar Association Bar Bulletin, May 2019
- American Bar Association, Section of Litigation, The Young Advocates Newsletter, Jan 2017
- Ohio Lawyer, Jul 2016
- Capital University 2016 Spring Magazine, Apr 2016
- Best Practices of Taking a Doctor’s DepositionCapital University Spring 2016 Magazine, Apr 8, 2016
- Introduction of Medicaid’s Super Lien and Other Recovery EffortsColumbus Bar Association Quarterly, Feb 12, 2015
- Introduction to Medicaid’s Super Lien as Created by Affordable Care ActColumbus Bar Association’s Lawyers Quarterly Summer 2014 edition, Jul 11, 2014
- Professionalism for Young LawyersOhio Association of Civil Trial Attorneys The Update - Spring 2014, Apr 23, 2014
- Ohio Supreme Court Rules that the Recreational User Statute Provides Immunity for Property Owners, Even for Manmade HazardsAIG Legal Insights Newsletter - Spring 2014, Apr 22, 2014
- Winter 2014 Columbus Bar Quarterly, Jan 21, 2014
- Ohio Supreme Court Distinguishes Real Party in Interest from Standing to Sue RequirementsOhio State Bar Assn. Litigation News, Jun 7, 2013
- Contributor and Editor: The Law & You, 14th Edition (in publication), chapters entitled Torts and The Lawyer, a publication by the Ohio State Bar Association2012
- Use of Parol Evidence Rule limits claims brought under the Ohio Consumer Sales Practices ActNov 25, 2009
- Ohio Supreme Court Prohibits Disclosure of Non-Party Medical RecordsOct 8, 2009
- Co-Author: Amending the Medicare Secondary Payer Act, Ohio Lawyer, May/June 2009, published by the Ohio State Bar Association
- Co-Author: Are You in Compliance With The Medicare Secondary Payer Act?, Columbus Bar Association Lawyers Quarterly, Summer 2009; republished in SideBar, Summer 2009
- Apr 2, 2009
- The Ohio Supreme Court Misses an Opportunity to Resolve Uncertainty Surrounding the Statute of Limitations for Actions Against Insurance AgentsFeb 26, 2018
- Apr 25, 2017
- Jul 11, 2016
- Jan 11, 2016
- Sep 24, 2014
- The SEC and Courts May Consider Events Outside the Five Year Statute of Limitations in Crafting Enforcement SanctionsJul 2, 2014
- Ohio Appeals Court Holds Face-to-Face Meeting with Borrower not a Condition Precedent to Foreclosure6/11/2014
- Apr 30, 2014
- Ohio Supreme Court Rules that the Recreational User Statute Provides Immunity for Property Owners, Even for Manmade HazardsFeb 19, 2014
- Oct 10, 2013
- Aug 15, 2013
- Jun 18, 2013
- Court of Appeals Holds that Nonsignator to a Arbitration Agreement Can Be Forced to Arbitrate Claims Arising Out of a Mortgage Agreement and Subsequent ForeclosureApr 1, 2012
- Aug 31, 2010
- Mar 22, 2010
- Notice of Default Contents Crucial Prior to Foreclosure by LenderMar 22, 2010
- A Court Order Granting or Denying a Stay of Court's Proceeding Pending Arbitration is Immediately AppealableMar 3, 2010
- Appealability of Arbitration Court OrdersMar 2, 2010
- Ohio Supreme Court's Use of the Parol Evidence Rule Limits Claims Brought Under the Consumer Sales Practice ActNov 25, 2009
- Apr 3, 2009
LL.M., Business, Capital University Law School, 2009
J.D., Capital University Law School, cum laude, 2008
B.B.A., Ohio University, 2005
- State of Ohio, 2008
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio, 2009
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio, 2009
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, 2009
- District of Columbia, 2009
- State of West Virginia, 2015
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of West Virginia, 2015
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 2015
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of West Virginia, 2018