Your resource for probate dispute matters.
Our seasoned team of Estate and Trust litigators routinely handles disputes that involve probate, estate and guardianship matters. Learn more about the complex arena of probate, trust, and estate litigation by reading our blog posts, legal insights, law updates, representative cases, resources, and more.
Reminger Co., LPA is pleased to announce that 13 of our Trusts and Estates lawyers have been included in the 2024 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America®. Lawyers on The Best Lawyers in America® list are reviewed by their peers on the basis of professional expertise and undergo an authentication process to make sure they are in current practice and in good standing.
- Adam M. Fried - Elder Law, Litigation - Trusts and Estates, Trusts and Estates
- Allison M. McMeechan - Elder Law, Trusts and Estates
- Barbara Bellin Janovitz - Elder Law, Trusts and Estates
- Jessica Forrest ...
Ohio’s Rules of Civil Procedure govern how civil cases are run from the initial filing and service to discovery to final judgment. The Rules are updated annually with an effective date of July 1. And, most importantly for Reminger’s Estates, Trusts, and Probate Litigation Practice Group, the Rules govern most probate litigation including trusts contests, beneficiary disputes, and declaratory judgments. So, let’s take a look at some key updates for 2023.
- Remote Presence and Email Service. Consistent with last year’s changes to the Rules of Superintendence, the Civil ...
The mixing of financial issues with the emotion of losing a loved one is a big reason probate litigation occurs, and demographics support that estate and trust disputes only will increase in the coming years.
According to the Population Reference Bureau and Census Bureau, there are roughly 76.4 million Baby Boomers in the United States. The youngest members of this generation will turn 65 in 2029, and Fortune.com estimates that Baby Boomers should transfer roughly $53 trillion to their heirs and beneficiaries through 2045. To put that $53 trillion in perspective, the United ... Read More ›
Jessica Forrest authored "Confidentiality and Privilege in Post-Death Disputes: Is it Time to Tweak R.C. 2317.02?" for the Probate Law Journal of Ohio.
Reprinted from Probate Law Journal of Ohio available in print and on Westlaw with permission from Thomson Reuters. Copyright © 2023. Further use without permission of Thomson Reuters is prohibited. For further information about this publication, please visit https://store.legal.thomsonreuters.com/law-products/Newsletter/Probate-Law-Journal-of-Ohio/p/100028597 .Read More ›
Adriann McGee and Mary Kraft represented a Plaintiff, the Executor of an Estate in a claim for breach of fiduciary duty. Plaintiff’s claim included that the power of attorney for the decedent breached her duties by adding herself as the co-owner on the decedent’s bank account, then gifting herself funds that belonged solely to the decedent.
Adriann and Mary presented their case over a 4 day trial in front of the jury. The jury also awarded attorney fees and costs to the Plaintiff estate. This was the first jury trial to be held in the Delaware County Probate Court in 25 years. Read More ›
Adam Fried, with help from Brittany Kaczmarczyk, authored Analysis of the "Amendments to Ohio Rule of Superintendence Rule 66" for the Probate Law Journal of Ohio. Read the article here.
Reprinted from Probate Law Journal of Ohio available in print and on Westlaw with permission from Thomson Reuters. Copyright © 2023. Further use without permission of Thomson Reuters is prohibited. For further information about this publication, please visit https://store.legal.thomsonreuters.com/law-products/Newsletter/Probate-Law-Journal-of-Ohio/p/100028597Read More ›
Reminger Co., LPA is pleased to announce a new leadership structure within our Estates and Trusts Practice Group.
Bolstered by years of dedicated experience in Ohio's probate courts, this new structure will allow our growing team to better serve our clients across the state. New leadership appointments include:
- Adam M. Fried – Statewide Chair, Estates and Trusts Practice Group
- Timothy J. Gallagher – Chair, Guardianships Practice Group
- Jessica S. Forrest – Co-Chair, Estates, Trusts, and Probate Litigation Practice Group
- Paul R. Shugar – Co-Chair, Estates, Trusts, and ...
Just because Denver Broncos Owner Pat Bowlen was a billionaire did not mean his business succession planning was easy. After leading the Broncos to eight Super Bowls, the NFL Hall of Famer began consolidating his Broncos ownership in 2002 to ensure one or more of his seven children would succeed him in running the franchise. Instead, two probate lawsuits ensued—one even before Bowlen’s 2019 death—and the team sold for $4.65 billion in 2022.
Some could argue the succession plan failed because the Bowlens no longer own the Broncos. But others would contend the succession plan ... Read More ›
Estates, Trusts, and Probate Litigation Chair, Adam Fried, was recognized among the Top 100 Ohio Super Lawyers and Top 50 Cleveland Super Lawyers for 2023. This is the sixth year that Adam has been named to these lists. Adam focuses his practice on matters of estate, trust, probate and guardianship controversy. Whether he is retained to pursue or defend a will contest, a trust dispute, or to challenge the activities of a trustee, executor or guardian, he has garnered a reputation for developing and implementing effective litigation tactics and a common-sense approach to ... Read More ›
- 13 Reminger Estate & Trust Attorneys Recognized in 2024 Edition of Best Lawyers in America
- New Rules of Civil Procedure for 2023
- Avoiding Probate Litigation: Attorneys Can Help Families Prevent Costly Disputes
- Confidentiality and Privilege in Post-Death Disputes: Is it time to Tweak R.C. 2317.02?
- Adriann McGee and Mary Kraft Obtain Jury Verdict and Attorney Fees in Breach of Fiduciary Case Involving Power of Attorney Abuse
- Cleveland Jewish News goes one-on-one with Adam Fried
- Analysis of the Amendments to Ohio Rule of Superintendence Rule 66
- Reminger Co., LPA Announces New Leadership Structure in Estates and Trusts Practice Group
- Even Billionaires Can Fumble Business Succession Planning
- Adam Fried Named to Super Lawyers 2023 Top Lists