Reminger’s Real Estate Practice Group members offer expert representation and practical advice in all facets of real estate transactions and litigation.
Our public and private clients call upon us for assistance with the acquisition, leasing, financing, and sale of commercial, industrial and residential property. We have extensive experience in property management as well as finance, title, and escrow matters. We represent clients in zoning, land use, and tax issues. Our clients are national retailers as well as industrial, commercial, and residential developers, and consumers whom we assist in all aspects of buying and selling residential real estate, including condominiums and new construction. We also represent several real estate trade associations.
Our Real Estate Practice Group frequently defends real estate brokers and agents in connection with real estate errors and omissions litigation. We have specific expertise in representing real estate brokers and agents in nondisclosure, misrepresentation, and breach of fiduciary duty claims. We also assist with compliance issues, operations, license law investigations, disciplinary actions and audits, and in fair housing matters. We frequently appear before all Ohio courts, the Ohio Division of Real Estate and Professional Licensing, the Ohio Real Estate Commission, and the Ohio Civil Rights Commission.
Honors & Recognitions
Reminger’s Real Estate was ranked by U.S. News - Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” as Metropolitan Cleveland Tier 3 for 2023.
Our client base in the Real Estate Practice Group is diverse in size, geography and in the clients represented. Our clients' broad based industry representation includes manufacturing, national retailers, transportation, health care, medical equipment, insurance brokers and agents, construction, professional services and real estate brokers and agents. Representative clients include Developers Diversified, Marathon Ashland Petroleum LLC and Stewart Title Guaranty Co.
- Jul 2023, Summary JudgmentJefferson County Kentucky Circuit Court
Obtained summary judgment in favor of HOA Board and Property Management Company on claims for violations of Constitutional Rights, Injunctive Relief, Excessive Fines, and Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress.
- Jun 20, 2023, Motion for Summary Judgment GrantedMiami County Court of Common Pleas
Motion for summary judgment granted in favor of a large commercial real estate entity.
- Jun 5, 2023, DismissalOhio Civil Rights Commission
Claimants, a fair housing center and their representative-tenant, alleged our client, a residential landlord, violated fair housing laws by failing to provide a reasonable parking accommodation. We first defended the case through the initial investigation to secure a finding of no probable cause, based primarily on the defense that our client timely supplied the requested accommodation. Then, when claimants’ sought reconsideration of that initial finding, dismissal was upheld following a hearing before the full Commission.
- Aug 24, 2022, Motion to Dismiss GrantedSummit County
Motion to dismiss granted in favor of escrow agent based on lack of contractual or tort duty to inform prospective seller of required inspections prior to closing of real estate transfer.
- Dec 23, 2021, DismissalOhio Civil Rights Commission
Claimant alleged our client, a residential landlord, violated fair housing laws by disparately applying the terms and conditions of its lease agreements. We secured dismissal of the allegations with a finding of no probable cause of discrimination.
- Dec 6, 2021Franklin County Court of Common Pleas
Defense of large national real estate broker regarding a Creditor’s Bill Complaint against the broker’s real estate agent and the broker, seeking a non-wage garnishment of the agent’s real estate commissions.
- Aug 15, 2013, Judgment Affirmed6th Circuit Court of Appeals
Rockies Pipeline LLC v. 4.895 Acres of Land, More or L, et al.
Property owner appealed adverse eminent domain evaluation and ruling
- Aug 21, 2012Erie
Successful prosecution of appeal of cease and desist order received by client property owner regarding newly issued ordinance on rentals
- Jun 22, 2012South Euclid Small Claims
Defense at Small Claims trial involving claims against sellers real estate agent for alleged failure to protect neighbors property stored at sellers house once sale completed
- Aug 3, 2011Franklin
Defense of Division of Real Estate professional licensing charge
- May 21, 2010, Judgment Affirmed6th Appellate Dist
Alkop, Inc., et al. v. Roger E. Vodicka, et al.
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment in real estate easement dispute claim.
- Apr 30, 2010, Judgment Affirmed1st Appellate Dist
William Caruso v. National City Mortgage Company, et al,
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment against real estate appraisal on alleged negligent misrepresentation
- Jan 27, 2023
- Apr 14, 2022
- Press Release, Oct 19, 2020
- Zachary B. Pyers Receives Outstanding Young Lawyer Award From the Ohio Association of Civil Trial AttorneysPress Release, Nov 26, 2019
- Press Release, Jun 8, 2016
- Press Release, Nov 4, 2015
- The Fawcett Center on campus at The Ohio State University, Jun 18, 2014
- The Ins and Outs of a Real Estate Agent Broker E&O claimsNorthern Ohio Regional Multiple Listing Service (NOMRLS) Fall Broker and Manager Forum - Independence, OH, Oct 24, 2013
- CORE Real Estate LawKeller Williams Realty Greater Cleveland Northeast - Mentor, OH, Oct 16, 2013
- CORE Real Estate Law/Risk Management IssuesCleveland Area Board of REALTORS® - Cleveland, OH, Oct 10, 2013
- Risk Management Issues for the Real Estate Agent and BrokerOhio Association of REALTORS® Annual Convention - Canton, OH, Sep 8, 2013
- Core Law and Risk Management for Real Estate ProfessionalsRE/MAX Crossroads and First Federal of Lakewood - Uniontown, OH, Jul 9, 2013
- Core Law and Risk Management for Real Estate ProfessionalsRE/MAX Crossroads and First Federal of Lakewood - Middleburg Heights, OH, Jul 8, 2013
- Fair Housing for Real Estate ProfessionalsKeller Williams Realty Greater Cleveland West - Westlake, OH, May 17, 2013
- Core Law for Real Estate ProfessionalsRE/MAX Traditions/Revere Title/Fairway Mortgage - Bratenahl, OH, May 16, 2013
- Real Estate Administrative and Regulatory Law UpdateNorthern Ohio Regional Multiple Listing Service (NORMLS) Spring Broker Forum - Cleveland, OH, May 9, 2013
- Real Estate Agent Liability and Disciplinary RulesOhio Association of REALTORS/Columbus Board of Realtors - Columbus, OH, Mar 27, 2013
- Real Estate Agent and Broker Disciplinary Process in Ohio and KentuckyCNA Real Estate D&O Professional Liability Conference - Lisle, IL, Mar 21, 2013
- The Fundamentals of Real Estate Broker and Agent LawStouffer Realty - Fairlawn, OH, Mar 20, 2013
- Real Estate Agent and Broker Liability in OhioKeller Williams Realty Greater Cleveland - Cleveland, OH, Feb 25, 2013
- Core Real Estate Broker LawAshland Board of REALTORS - Ashland, OH, Feb 11, 2013
- Risk Management in Real Estate LicenceesFairway Independent Mortgage Co. - Stow, OH, Jan 17, 2013
- Ohio License Law Requirements for Brokers and Property ManagersCleveland Metropolitan Bar Assn. 34th Annual Real Estate Law Institute - Cleveland, OH, Nov 13, 2012
- 2012 Legal Update for Real Estate LawCleveland Area Board of REALTORS® - Cleveland, OH, Oct 24, 2012
- Litigation and Real Estate Agent License LawOhio Association of Realtors (OAR) Annual Convention - Columbus, OH, Oct 2, 2012
- Risk Management for Real Estate LicenseesFairway Independent Mortgage Corporation Regional Seminar - Stow, OH, Aug 30, 2012
- Ohio Real Estate Law for the insurance broker and agentCleveland Chapter of Women’s Council of Realtors - Cleveland, OH, Aug 15, 2012
- Dissecting the Residential Real Estate TransactionGilbride & Co. CLE Northeast Ohio Real Estate Agents and Brokers - Cleveland, OH, Jul 27, 2012
- The Contractual and Disciplinary Risks Faced by the Real Estate Broker AgentRE/MAX Traditions Lake County Agents - Mentor, OH, May 10, 2012
- The Contractual and Disciplinary Risks Faced by the Real Estate Broker AgentFairway Mortgage/Stouffer Realty - Akron, OH, Apr 20, 2012
- Real Estate Broker LiabilityRE/MAX Beyond 2000 - Cleveland, OH, Apr 11, 2012
- Real Estate Law Update and Broker Discipline in OhioCleveland Area Board of Retailers - Cleveland, OH, Mar 14, 2012
- Practical Risk Management Techniques for Home InspectorsNorth Central Ohio Chapter of the American Society of Home Inspectors - Cleveland, OH, Mar 8, 2012
- Rental Transactions and Property Management in the State of OhioOhio Association of REALTORS - Cleveland, OH, Feb 29, 2012
- State of Ohio Core Risk Management in Real EstateKeller Williams Real Estate Brokers & Agents - Westlake, OH, Feb 23, 2012
- Real Estate Agent and Best Risk Management PracticesRe/MAX Crossroads State of Ohio Agents - Cleveland, OH, Jan 9, 2012
- Fair Housing Claims and Dealing with 'Testers'Northeast Ohio Keller Williams Real Estate Brokers and Agents - Cleveland, OH, Jan 6, 2012
- Encountering Some Sophisticated Issues in Residential Real Estate TransactionsCleveland Metropolitan Bar Association Real Estate Institute Seminar - Cleveland, OH, Nov 10, 2011
- Risk Management of Real Estate ProfessionalsKeller Williams Realty Greater Cleveland Cuyahoga Community College - Cleveland, OH, Oct 28, 2011
- Risk Management for Real Estate Brokers and LicenseesKeller Williams Continuing Education for Real Estate Brokers & Agents - Cleveland, OH, Oct 17, 2011
- Ins and Outs of Real Estate Brokerage and ContractingKeller Williams Chervenic Realty All Company Meeting - Hudson, OH, Jun 16, 2011
- Ins and Outs of Real Estate Brokerage - Keller Williams Realty GroupGreater Cleveland Northeast Ohio Continuing Education Seminar, May 21, 2011
- E-Mail Acceptance of Real Estate Purchase Agreements Require Caution - Ohio Association of Realtors 'E-Connect' NewsletterMay 18, 2011
- Fair Housing Laws and the Real Estate AgentChicago Title Agents and Brokers Conference - Canton, OH, Apr 14, 2011
- Real Estate Agent Errors and Omission Litigation and Trends - One Beacon Insurance National WebinarApr 14, 2011
- Risk Management for the real estate agent and broker. - Keller Williams Realty and New Market Title Business DivisionCleveland, OH, Feb 24, 2011
- Risk Management for Real Estate Licensees - State of Ohio Department of Real Estate CLEWestlake, OH, Dec 8, 2010
- Fair Housing and Civil Rights - Lake-Geauga Area Association of RealtorsPainesville, OH, Nov 11, 2010
- Real Estate Law for Real Estate Brokers and Licensees - Lake and Geauga Area Assoication of RealtorsPainesville, OH, Oct 21, 2010
- Fair Housing and Civil Rights (Continuing Education for Real Estate Professionals) Presentation for the Lake & Geauga Area Association of RealtorsAug 19, 2010
- CORE Real Estate Law - Women's Council of RealtorsLorain County, OH, Aug 5, 2010
- Core Law: Identifying and Overcoming Legal Risks in Real Estate Transactions (Continuing Education for Real Estate Professionals) Presentation for the Lake & Geauga Area Association of REALTORSJul 22, 2010
- Need for and Content of Independent Contractor Agreements for Real Estate Brokers (Continuing Education for Real Estate Professionals) Hondros CollegeCleveland, Ohio, Jun 23, 2010
- Real Estate Management Legal and Ethical Responsibilities (Continuing Education for Real Estate Professionals)Hondros College, Cleveland, Ohio, Jun 10, 2010
- Management for the Ohio Real Estate Agent- REMAX Crossroads Agents of Northeastern Ohio.Cleveland,OH, Mar 8, 2010
- Continuing Education: Risk Management for the Ohio Real Estate AgentCleveland,OH, Mar 8, 2010
- Fair Housing and Civil Rights (Continuing Education for Real Estate Professionals) - Presentation for the Lake & Geauga Area Association of RealtorsFeb 18, 2010
- Core Law: Risk Management (Continuing Education for Real Estate Professionals) - Presentation for the Lake & Geauga Area Association of RealtorsJan 27, 2010
- "Real Estate Agent Errors and Omissions Primer"- Lake Geauga Area Association of Realtors.Painesville,OH, Jan 27, 2010
- Identifying Legal Risks in a Real Estate TransactionNov 18, 2009
- "Identifying Legal Risks In A Real Estate Transaction", Women's Council of Realtors, Cleveland ChapterNov 8, 2009
- CORE Real Estate Concepts and CORE Legal and Risk Management Principles for the Real Estate AgentMay 18, 2009
- Legal and Risk Management Principles for the Real Estate Agent for the Cleveland Area Board of Realtors to Benefit the Gathering PlaceMay 18, 2009
- Real Estate Core LawFeb 26, 2009
- Practical Risk Management for Real Estate Licensees, National Business Institute-CLECleveland, Ohio, Oct 17, 2008
- Commercial Real Estate Transactions, Gilbride & Company CLECleveland, Ohio, Oct 1, 2008
- Real Estate Transactions Made Painless and Efficient, National Business InstituteCleveland, Ohio, Jul 17, 2008
- Back to Basics Title Seminar, Old Republic TitleCleveland, Ohio, Nov 14, 2007
- CIvil Rights & Real Estate Agents, Lake & Geauga Area Association of REALTORSPainesville, Ohio, Nov 9, 2007
- Civil Rights & Real Estate Agents, Scioto Valley Board of RealtorsChillicothe, OH, Aug 29, 2007
- “The Legal View”Northern Ohio Regional Multiple Listing Service Quarterly Newsletter, Feb 12, 2014
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal - October 2011 Issue, Oct 15, 2011
- Real Estate Law Practice Group E-News, Jun 8, 2011
- Ohio Supreme Court Finds That An Action At Law On A Promissory Note To Collect A Mortgage Debt Is Separate And Distinct From An Action In Equity To Enforce A Mortgage Lien On PropertyDec 7, 2016
- Aug 3, 2015
- Nov 26, 2013
- Aug 29, 2013
- Mar 13, 2013
- Jan 15, 2010
- Feb 9, 2009