Andy is an accomplished trial attorney who has represented clients for more than 25 years in complex commercial and professional liability disputes, with a particular emphasis on legal and accountant professional liability, directors and officers liability, securities litigation, and employment-related disputes. He serves as the Chair of Reminger’s Legal Professional Liability, Financial Services Professional Liability and Miscellaneous Professional Liability Practice groups.
Andy has extensive trial experience in both state and federal courts, as well as extensive arbitration experience with the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) and administrative hearings nationwide. In his last ten FINRA arbitrations, Andy obtained eight defense awards and the two claimant awards were for only 3% and 9% of the amount demanded at closing.
Andy is a recognized “go-to” defense counsel who defends professionals and organizations accused of malpractice, breach of fiduciary duty, breach of contract fraud, and other types of misconduct. As a former insurance agent and licensed securities representative, he possesses significant knowledge of regulatory standards established by administrative entities that impact a number of professions that he represents, and he is also experienced in providing counsel an effective representation to those clients facing disciplinary proceedings and investigations.
Andy employs creative thinking and sound judgment in managing complex matters, keeping an eye on balancing results and the best strategies that align with the interests of his clients and the amount in controversy.
Andy is a frequent presenter to members of the insurance industry, the bar, and the financial services and real estate industries. He is a Past President of the Professional Liability Attorney Network and is a member of the Professional Lines Underwriting Society, and other legal and bar associations.
Honors & Recognitions
Listed in Best Lawyers in America for Commercial Litigation and Insurance Law, since 2006
Recognized as a Super Lawyer in Ohio Super Lawyers Magazine
Professional caddy at numerous national golf tournaments including the 2010 and 2011 PGA Championships at Whistling Straits and the Atlanta Athletic Club
Community & Professional
American Bar Association
Ohio State Bar Association
Defense Research Institute
Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
Professional Liability Underwriting Society
Professional Liability Attorney Network (Past Chair)
Canterbury Golf Club
- Nov 18, 2020, Summary Judgment GrantedU.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
Motion for summary judgment granted in favor of nursing home against employee claims of age discrimination and retaliation.
- Oct 28, 2020, Motion for Judgment on Pleadings GrantedCuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas
Granting of Motion for Judgment on the Pleadings and dismissing Plaintiff’s legal malpractice claim on the basis that the attorney-defendant owed no duty to Plaintiff to object to a sentence arising out of a probation violation when Plaintiff committed non-technical violations of her parole.
- Jun 23, 2020, Motion for Summary Judgment GrantedLake County
Motion for summary judgment granted in favor of employer against employee claim of wrongful discharge in violation of public policy.
- Jan 2, 2020, Judgment Affirmed8th Appellate Dist
Appellate court affirms trial court’s dismissal of plaintiff’s legal malpractice claim, finding that defendant-attorney exercised sound professional judgment.
- Sep 5, 2019, Complaint dismissed with prejudiceCuyahoga
Time-barred legal malpractice complaint dismissed in its entirety following a grant of defendant-attorney’s motion for judgment on the pleadings 171 days after receipt of assignment.
- Aug 7, 2019, All Claims Dismissed in Their EntiretyFINRA Arbitration
Defense of respondent insurance agent from claims of negligence, negligent and fraudulent misrepresentations, and unsuitability.
- May 17, 2019, Dismissal of complaintCuyahoga
Defense of legal malpractice claim against appellate attorney alleging a failure to object to the State's submission of inadmissible exhibits into the appellate file.
- May 7, 2019, Obtained full dismissal by way of offensive motion for judgment on the pleadingsCuyahoga County
Former client-business owner brought a legal malpractice lawsuit against former attorney for alleged deficiencies in the handling of a business dispute and probate matter.
- Dec 28, 2017, Motion For Summary JudgmentSummit County
Michael A. Mazzaggati v. Peyton N. Burrell, et al.
Motion for summary judgment granted in favor of a commercial insurance agency dismissing all claims in their entirety.
- Oct 5, 2017, Award in favor of our clientsFINRA Office of Dispute Resolution, Chicago, IL
- Aug 25, 2017, Motion for Summary Judgment GrantedCuyahoga County
Defense of putative class action alleging fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, unjust enrichment, and breach of privacy claims against an asset retrieval company for services performed throughout Ohio.
- Mar 30, 2017, Summary Judgment GrantedLake County Court of Common Pleas
Defense of an insurance agent from a claim of declaratory judgment brought by a Plaintiff who asserted that she should have been the only beneficiary on a life insurance policy.
- Feb 22, 2017, Dismissal of All ClaimsFINRA Arbitration
Defense of a broker-dealer and broker against claims of unsuitability, breach of fiduciary duty, breach of contract, and negligence brought by a former client
- Jan 19, 2017, Motion to Dismiss granted for failure to prosecuteU.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
Defense of wrongful termination case
- Jan 17, 2017, Summary Judgment GrantedCuyahoga County
Defense of a restaurant from a claim of negligence brought by a Plaintiff who asserted she slipped and fell
- Dec 30, 2015, Motion For Summary JudgmentU.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
Vaughn v. Radio One of Indiana, L.P. Court granted summary judgment in our favor on all claims.
- Apr 21, 2015, Petition for a writ of certiorari deniedU.S. Supreme Court
Dublin Eye Associates, P.C., et al. v. Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Co.
Plaintiff appealed adverse U.S. 6th Circuit Court of Appeals judgment in ERISA breach of fiduciary duty claims.
- Nov 13, 2014, Motion For Summary Judgment GrantedCuyahoga
Defense of discrimination employment practices claim
- Oct 15, 2014, Motion for Judgment on the Pleadings grantedCuyahoga County
Defense of wrongful termination employment practices claim
- Jan 17, 2014, Judgment Affirmed6th Appellate Dist
Gregory G. Johnson v. Ohio National Life Assurance Co.
Gregory G. Johnson v. Ohio National Life Assurance Co. Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment in claim for permanent disability benefits under disability policy.
- Jan 13, 2014, Directed VerdictFINRA
Defense of arbitration claim brought forth by claimants concerning the purchase of five variable annuity products. After claimants' case-in-chief, the arbitrator panel granted directed verdict and agreed that the claim was factually impossible and there was an absence of damages.
- Nov 27, 2013, Motion to Dismiss GrantedSummit
Defense of broker dealer financial services liability claim
- Oct 24, 2013, Motion to Dismiss GrantedCuyahoga
Defense of broker in financial services liability claim
- Aug 30, 2013, Favorable OutcomeFINRA
FINRA Arbitration defense of securities broker dealer
- Aug 23, 2013, Summary Judgment GrantedRichland
Defense legal malpractice claim
- Jul 12, 2013, Motion For Summary Judgment GrantedU.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky
Breach of fiduciary duties under ERISA
- Apr 30, 2013, Chicago, ILDismissal of Action
Defense of disciplinary action by Certified Financial Planning Board
- Jan 9, 2013, Filing of 3rd Party Complaint to include direct claims under Inequitable Conduct Theory of Patent invalidity deniedU.S. District Court, Northern Ohio
Shieldmark, Inc. v. Creative Safety Supply, LLC. Defense of legal malpractice claim in patent infringement case
- Dec 14, 2012, Favorable OutcomeDetroit, MI
FINRA arbitration defense of financial services professional liability claim
- May 30, 2012, Motion For Summary JudgmentWood
Defense of breach of insurance contract and bad faith claims relating to two disability income insurance policies.
- May 23, 2012, Motion To DismissLorain
Claims of negligence/breach of fiduciary duty for alleged mishandling of a UTMA account.
- Mar 21, 2012, Finding of no probable causeEEOC
Defense of EEOC Complaint
- Dec 23, 2011, Award for DefendantIndianapolis, IN
FINRA Securities Arbitration defense involving claim of unsuitability of variable annuity products to plaintiffs
- May 5, 2010, Favorable OutcomeCharlotte, NC
Arbitration defense of security dealer E&O claim involving alleged order to sell securities in Claimants account
- Oct 16, 2009, Finding For DefendantChicago, IL
FINRA Arbitration defense involving a registered representative in a 419 Plan transaction
- Press Release, Dec 8, 2020
- Reminger Co., LPA Announces Broker-Dealer and Investment Advisor Regulatory Compliance and Enforcement Practice GroupPress Release, Nov 3, 2020
- Press Release, Aug 20, 2020
- Press Release, Sep 20, 2019
- Press Release, Aug 15, 2019
- Press Release, Aug 15, 2018
- Press Release, Aug 15, 2017
- Andrew Dorman Featured in November/December 2016 Issue of the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal's "The Scoop"Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal, Dec 2016
- Press Release, Aug 15, 2016
- Andrew J. Dorman and James O’Connor Named Co-Chairs of Reminger Co., LPA’s Legal Professional Liability Practice GroupJun 1, 2016
- Press Release, Dec 2, 2015
- Press Release, Aug 17, 2015
- Press Release, Dec 3, 2014
- Press Release, Aug 18, 2014
- Press Release, Jul 25, 2014
- Press Release, Dec 5, 2013
- Aug 16, 2013
- Press Release, Dec 17, 2012
- Press Release, Aug 24, 2012
- Press Release, Dec 16, 2011
- Press Release, Aug 31, 2011
- Crain's Cleveland Business, Aug 8, 2011
- Updates and Trends in Accounting Malpractice, Securities Litigation and Banking DisputesWebinar, Jan 21, 2020
- Updates in Financial Advisor and Financial Institution LiabilityJersey City, NJ, Jun 12, 2019
- Preparing For and Conducting an Effective MediationWebinar, Apr 17, 2019
- Update on Transactional Legal MalpracticeLas Vegas, NV, Jun 14, 2018
- Professionalism in the Context of Civil LitigationHartford, CT, Feb 27, 2018
- Webinar, Oct 26, 2017
- Trends in Life Agent and Broker/Dealer ClaimsTampa, FL, Feb 27, 2017
- Phoenix, AZ, Sep 28, 2016
- Creating a Workplace Environment that Promotes FeedbackLegacy Health Services Directors of Nursing, Cleveland, OH, Apr 27, 2016
- Winning at MediationHartford Financial Products Claim office, New York, NY, Feb 3, 2016
- Arbitration v. Litigation and Dodd-Frank Act and the Proposed Uniform Fiduciary Duty7th Annual Independent Broker-Dealer Conference, Coral Gables, Florida, Oct 22, 2015
- Arbitration vs. Litigation and Dodd-Frank ActIndependent Broker Dealer Conference Consortium, Coral Gables, FL, Oct 22, 2015
- Recent Trends and Defense Strategies in Lawyer Professional Liability RisksProfessional Liability Attorney Network, Hartford, CT, Apr 23, 2015
- “Ethics of Social Media (Do’s and Don’t’s)ProSight Specialty claims and underwriting staff, Morristown, NJ, Apr 8, 2015
- Legal Malpractice: Trends and Defense StrategiesProfessional Liability Attorney Network Regional Meeting, Kansas City, MO, Mar 12, 2015
- Recent Developments in the Securities IndustryZurich Insurance FI, D&O and EPL Claim Department Seminar, New York, NY, Sep 30, 2014
- Anatomy of a Professional Liability Lawsuit, ProSight Claims Department PresentationNew York, NY, Feb 21, 2014
- Conflicts of Interest: Defense Counsel and Carrier PerspectivesAllied World Assurance Webinar - Hartford, CT, Nov 15, 2013
- Trends in Legal Professional Liability26th Annual PLUS Conference - Orlando, FL, Nov 4, 2013
- National Updates on Financial Professional Liability and Legal ProfessionalProfessional Liability Attorney Network (PLAN) Conference - New York, NY, Jun 20, 2013
- An Overview Of Significant Developments in FINRA ArbitrationProsight Specialty Seminar - Mt. Kemble, N.J., Dec 18, 2012
- Legal Professional Liability Emerging Issues to Third PartiesProfessional Liability Attorneys Network - New York, NY, Jun 28, 2012
- Lawyers, Accountants and Insurance Brokers Claims Arising out of Estate and Retirement PlanningAnnual ExecuSummit Conference - Sheyboygan, CT, Jun 12, 2012
- Legal Malpractice: The Rise of the Third-Party Claims and Claims by the GovernmentOneBeacon Professional Insurance Annual Lawyers Professional Liability Risks Management Seminar - Las Vegas, NV, May 16, 2012
- Legal Malpractice from the Defense PerspectiveCleveland Marshall School of Law CLE - Cleveland, OH, Mar 3, 2012
- Federal Regulatory Reform: The Dodd Frank ActEagle International Associates, Inc. Fall Conference - New York, NY, Oct 14, 2011
- Real Estate Agent Errors and Omission Litigation and Trends - One Beacon Insurance National WebinarApr 14, 2011
- Legal Professional Liability Trends in View of Financial Institution MeltdownProfessional Liability Attorney Network (PLAN) Seminar - Hartford, CT, Apr 13, 2011
- The Dodd-Frank Recent Legislation Effect on Security Dealers and Investment Advisors - Ancora GroupCleveland, OH, Mar 22, 2011
- Overview of Financial Services Liability Exposures - Cedarbrook Financial PartnersCleveland, OH, Jan 28, 2011
- Financial Institutions, Advisors and Security Dealers Under the Increased Regulatory Environment - CNA Global Specialty LinesProfessional Liability Attorney Network (PLAN) - New York, NY, Dec 2, 2010
- What Real Estate Operating Officers, Management and Staff Need To Know About Employment Practices LiabilityKeller Williams Regional Franchises Seminar - Cleveland, OH, Jul 29, 2010
- Practice Areas in Professional Liability, NYCSep 10, 2009
- Recent Developments of the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA)Apr 29, 2009
- Employment Liability Newsletter, Aug 2018
- Legal Professional Liability Newsletter, May 12, 2017
- Reminger Co., LPA Financial Services Professional Liability Winter 2016 Newsletter, Feb 12, 2016
- Financial Services Professional Liability Fall 2015 Newsletter, Sep 1, 2015
- May 2015 CalSurance Newsletter, Jun 1, 2015
- CalSurance Newsletter, Feb 18, 2015
- Crain's Cleveland Business, Nov 18, 2014
- Protect Your Business, The E-Discovery ProcessCrain’s Cleveland Business, Nov 17, 2014
- SEC and Courts May Consider Events Outside of Five Year Statute of Limitation in Crafting Enforcement SectionsCalSurance Quarterly Newsletter, Aug 18, 2014
- CalSurance Investment Advisor Perspectives - May 2014 Issue, May 15, 2014
- Financial Services Professional Liability Newsletter-Spring 2014, May 7, 2014
- CalSurance Investment Advisor Perspectives-February 2014 issue, Feb 11, 2014
- Arbitration Fairness Act - Part IICalSurance Quarterly Newsletter, Nov 11, 2013
- CalSurance Investment Advisor Perspectives Quarterly Newsletter, Jul 30, 2013
- U.S. Supreme Court Reaffirms Commitment to ArbitrationReminger Employment Practices Newsletter - Spring 2013, Apr 15, 2013
- Reminger E-Newsletter, Feb 3, 2013
- Sep 10, 2012
- NLRB Takes a Hardline Approach Against Class Action Waivers in Employment ApplicationsPLUS Journal - August, 2012, Sep 1, 2012
- Controversial Appointment of Cordray Is First Step in Federal Government's More Active Role In Consumer Financial ProtectionFinancial Services Professional Liability E-Newsletter, Feb 9, 2012
- Crain's Cleveland Business - November 7, 2011, Nov 7, 2011
- When Can Employers Be Held Liable For The Sexual Harassment of Third PartiesEmployment Practices Group E-Newsletter - Summer 2011, Jul 1, 2011
- E-Newsletter -Financial Services Professional Liability Group, Jun 1, 2011
- Apr 7, 2011
- Apr 7, 2011
- Chartis Insurance Specialty Group, Professional Liability Attorney Network (PLAN) - New York, NY, Nov 30, 2010
- Crain's Cleveland Business, Nov 1, 2010
- Dec 12, 2018
- Jan 16, 2018
- Ohio Supreme Court Amends Attorney Rules Of Professional Conduct To Specifically Allow Attorneys To Provide Legal Services To Clients Involved In Medical Marijuana EnterprisesDec 6, 2016
- Ohio Lawyers Cannot Provide Legal Services To Assist A Client In Establishing And Operating A Medical Marijuana EnterpriseSep 9, 2016
- The SEC and Courts May Consider Events Outside the Five Year Statute of Limitations in Crafting Enforcement SanctionsJul 2, 2014
- June 10, 2014
- Oct 1, 2013
- May 23, 2013
- Apr 2, 2013
- Real Estate
- Insurance Coverage/Bad Faith
- Oil, Natural Gas and Energy
- Broker-Dealer and Investment Advisor Regulatory Compliance and Enforcement
- Commercial Litigation
- Directors and Officers (D&O) Liability Defense
- Employment Practices Defense
- Financial Services Professional Liability
- Legal Professional Liability
- Miscellaneous Professional Liability
- Professional Liability
- Securities Litigation
J.D., Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, Cum Laude, 1994
B.S.B.A., Bowling Green State University, 1989
- State of Ohio, 1994
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, 1994
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio, 1994
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio, 1995
- Commonwealth of Kentucky, 1995
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Kentucky, 1995
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Kentucky, 1998
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2013
- Numerous Pro Hac Vice Admissions in Indiana, Michigan, Pennsylvania, New York, Tennessee, Illinois, Idaho and Missouri