Our Intellectual Property/E-Commerce and Cyber Risk Practice Group addresses fundamental concerns in the complex and fast moving areas of intellectual property, electronic commerce, and technology.
Identifying and managing intellectual capital will add value to your business, develop commercial opportunities and help prevent intellectual property disputes. Our firm's longstanding focus on trial and claim resolution distinguishes our approach to both preventing and ending disputes effectively and efficiently. We work toward achieving solutions rather than cataloging obstacles.
Intellectual property issues arise as businesses identify, create and protect the value of their intellectual creations, including names, logos, brands, products, talent, experience, procedures, and publications. Areas of substantive law in the field include copyrights, trade marks, trade secrets, unfair competition and cybersquatting. We litigate disputes involving internet domain names, counterfeiting and piracy of intellectual property, and patent, trademark and copyright infringement.
In the ever growing areas of E-commerce and cyber risks, our practice group provides knowledgeable and practical representation in defense of technology related errors & omission claims involving the multiple areas of internet service providers such as software and web page developers, network maintenance and security, data privacy, and computer staffing services.
Our practice group also offers contract review and negotiations, enforces and defends claims of licensing infringement, and provides insurance coverage reviews and opinions.
The practice group includes lawyers located throughout our offices in Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana. We support our colleagues in other practice groups to provide service tailored to the needs of the client. Additionally, our affiliation with The Harmonie Group extends our geographical reach across the United States. Whether a dispute rests in Federal or State Court, or before arbitration panels or regulatory agencies, our record of effective and efficient advocacy is our greatest asset.
Hosted by Zachary Pyers and Kenton Steele, The Reminger Report Podcast: Emerging Technologies examines how changes in technology and business models affect our daily lives, and how the law is adapting to respond to these changes. Listen here.
Honors & Recognitions
Reminger’s Intellectual Property/E-Commerce and Cyber Risk Group was ranked by U.S. News - Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” at the Metropolitan level for 2022.
Darice, Inc., Tdata, Inc., Metaris, Inc., NetShape Technologies, AXIS US Insurance, Allied World, Crum & Forster, and Aspen Specialty.
- May 27, 2015, Judgment Affirmed6th Cir. Court of Appeals
B. Lyles v. Katy Perry, et. al.
Defense of copyright infringement case.
- Feb 10, 2014, Motion to Dismiss GrantedUSDC Southern Ohio
Defense of copyright infringement case
- Mar 11, 2011, Claim granted and Defendant held in contemptFranklin
Prosecution of injunctive action for intellectual property trade name use
- May 20, 2010, Plaintiff VerdictU.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
Defense of computer fraud and abuse act, copyright infringement and misappropriation of trade secrets intellectual property claims
- Jun 1, 2009Cuyahoga
Defense of alleged theft of trade secrets claim
- Apr 2021
- Press Release, Nov 5, 2020
- Brandon L. Abshier Appointed as Chair of Intellectual Property/E-Commerce and Cyber Risk Practice GroupPress Release, Sep 11, 2020
- Nov 1, 2019
- Press Release, Aug 15, 2019
- Patrick Kasson Featured in Multiple Media Outlets Regarding 6th Circuit Court of Appeals Twitter Case Involving Actor James WoodsPress Release, Mar 1, 2019
- Press Release, Nov 1, 2018
- Press Release, Nov 1, 2017
- Press Release, Nov 1, 2016
- Bloomberg BNA, Nov 21, 2013
- Dec 22, 2021
- Top Ten Things to Do to Prevent a Data BreachWebinar, Aug 14, 2019
- Trademarks, Trade Secrets and Non CompetesOhio Craft Brewers’ Association’s Annual Meeting, Columbus, OH, Jun 7, 2016
- Workplace Safety, Wage & Hour and Employment Practices LiabilityOhio Craft Brewers’ Association’s Annual Meeting, Columbus, OH, Jun 7, 2016
- Protecting Your BrandOhio Craft Brews Association Annual Meeting, Dayton, OH, Feb 3, 2016
- Navigating Trademark LawOhio Craft Brews Association Annual Meeting, Dayton, OH, Feb 3, 2016
- “Ethics of Social Media (Do’s and Don’t’s)ProSight Specialty claims and underwriting staff, Morristown, NJ, Apr 8, 2015
- Taking Tech to Task: Tackling Technology’s Troublesome IssuesClaims and Litigation Management Alliance Annual Conference, Palm Desert, CA, Mar 27, 2015
- Risks, Rewards and Limits of Social Media in the WorkplaceEagle International Associates Regional CLE Seminar - Atlanta, GA, Sep 14, 2012
- Claims & Litigation Management Alliance (CLM) Professional Liability Committee Conference-Chicago, IL, Jun 13, 2012
- Developments in Law for IP LitigatorsDefense Research Institute Commercial Litigation Annual Conference - Chicago, IL, May 18, 2012
- Whos Line is IT Anyway Unwelcome Cyber Surprises in Risk Management and LitigationCouncil of Litigation Management Alliance Annual Meeting - San Diego, CA, Mar 29, 2012
- The Designer’s Role in Economic InnovationCleveland Institute of Arts Cleveland Design Seminar - Cleveland, OH, Apr 19, 2011
- Privilege & Work Product in the Electronic AgeDec 16, 2009
- Overview of Intellectual Property Laws that Applies to Architects and EngineersDec 9, 2009
- Intellectual Properties Essentials for EngineersDec 9, 2009
- Right of Publicity under Ohio LawNov 16, 2009
- Intellectual Property in Business Transactions, National Business Institute SeminarCleveland, Ohio, Aug 25, 2008
- The Increasing Likelihood of the Creation of a “Third Classification” of Worker as a Result of the Increased Prevalence of the Gig EconomyOACTA Quarterly Review, Feb 2023
- The Legal Intelligencer, May 24, 2021
- Apr 2021
- DRI The Whisper, Apr 22, 2016
- Corporate Counsel Magazine Online Edition, Apr 11, 2012
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal - November, 2011, Nov 4, 2011
- Jun 29, 2015
- May 20, 2014
- Feb 4, 2014
- Unauthorized Access to Online Information May Trigger Liability for Conversion and Invasion of PrivacyFeb 1, 2012
- Oct 21, 2011
- Dec 23, 2010
- May 7, 2010
- Oct 30, 2008
- Jan 15, 2007