John practices in Reminger’s Fort Mitchell and Cincinnati offices. Serving as Co-Chair of the firm’s Trucking and Commercial Transportation Law Practice Group, he focuses his practice on trucking and transportation litigation and professional liability defense. John also maintains an active docket representing clients in all manner of disputes, such as claims and suits for:
- Product Liability Defense
- Construction Defense
- Employment Defense
- General Liability Defense
Prior to joining Reminger in 2004, John served on active duty in the U.S. Army. While attending law school, he served as a Clerk for the Kentucky Court of Appeals and the Risk Manager for Northern Kentucky University. While at Reminger, John has continued to serve in the U.S. Army Reserve as a Military Police Officer and has obtained the rank of Colonel.
John has served as an adjunct instructor at Chase College of Law, teaching appellate advocacy and legal writing. He has also coached and mentored their Trial Advocacy Team in both state and national competitions.
In his practice, John has litigated hundreds of claims in the Commonwealth of Kentucky's Circuit Courts, the State of Ohio Courts of Common Pleas, the United States District Courts (Southern Districts of Ohio, Eastern and Western Districts of Kentucky), both the Kentucky and Ohio Court of Appeals, and the Kentucky Supreme Court.
Honors & Recognitions
Listed in Best Lawyers in America for Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants
Recognized as a Rising Star by Kentucky Super Lawyers Magazine
Honored by Salmon P. Chase College of Law as Outstanding Alumnus of the Past Decade, 2013
Community & Professional
U.S. Army Officer
- John is currently a Colonel in the U.S. Army Reserves serving as the Brigade Commander of the 290th Military Police Brigade. As the Brigade Commander, John is responsible for the preparation, training and deployment of over 3,500 military police soldiers and support staff located in 13 states.
- John previously served in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia as the manager for Foreign Military Sales to the Saudi Ministry of Interior and Presidency's State Security. John was responsible for advising the U.S. State Department, including the U.S. Ambassador, and the Saudi government officials on matters pertaining to internal security and counter-terrorism efforts within the Kingdom.
- John also served our Nation in Iraq and Kuwait in support of the global war on terrorism.
Salmon P. Chase College Board of Visitors, Member
Salmon P. Chase College of Law Alumni Board, Member
Ohio State Bar Association, Member
Cincinnati Bar Association, Member
American Bar Association, Member
Salmon P. Chase Inn of Court, Member
American Defense Trial Attorneys, Member
Defense Research Institute, Member
Trucking Industry Defense Association, Member
Transportation Lawyers Association, Member
- Nov 4, 2016, Plaintiff VerdictClermont
Defense of construction liability personal injury matter
- Feb 18, 2014, Plaintiff VerdictU.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
Defense of commercial premises liability personal injury claim (Walmart)
- Nov 20, 2012Kenton County, KY
Defense of trucking liability personal injury claim.
- Nov 19, 2012Boone County, KY
Defense of uninsured motorist personal injury liability claim
- Oct 2, 2012, Motion for summary judgment based upon the up the ladder exclusive remedy pursuant to Kentucky’s Worker Compensation ActBoone County, KY
Personal injury arising from employment as a pilot for a DHL Contract air cargo company
- May 23, 2012, Motion to Dismiss for want of personal jurisdictionPortage
Breach of contract for goods allegedly supplied and not paid for in Bowling Green, KY.
- May 1, 2012Boyd Circuit Court
Wrongful death of an employee while during the course and scope of his employment as a laborer for a construction company conducting bridge construction on an Interstate
- Apr 6, 2011Ashtabula
Plaintiff appealed adverse Court of Appeals decision denying him personal jurisdiction over Defendant.
- Sep 7, 2010, Judgment Affirmed12th Appellate Dist
Frank Sanfilippo, et al. v. Village Green Management Co., et al.
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment in commercial premises liability personal injury claim.
- Jul 19, 2010Warren
Defense of commercial litigation claim
- Jan 8, 2010Butler County
Defense of trucking liability personal injury claim
- Jun 19, 2009, Plaintiff VerdictWarren
Defense of property damage fire loss product liability claim
- Jun 15, 2009Butler County
Arbitration defense of property damage commercial premises services liability claim
- May 29, 2009, Judgment ReversedKenton, KY Circuit Ct – Appellate Division
Gerald Hinners v. Brad Robey DBA Robey’s Pawn World
Appealed ruling on Motion to Dismiss for lack of personal jurisdiction.
- May 8, 2009Butler County
- Feb 2, 2009Hamilton
Arbitration defense of property commercial services liability claim.
- Apr 1, 2008Hamilton
Arbitration defense of property damage claim to commercial vehicle.
- Feb 7, 2008Hamilton
Arbitration defense of property damage commercial premises liability claim.
- Nov 28, 2007Butler County
Arbitration defense of retaliatory eviction and property damage claim.
- Jul 26, 2007Hamilton
Defense of catastrophic injury employer intentional tort claim.
- May 15, 2007Hamilton
Arbitration defense of property damage products liabiity claim.
- Jan 19, 2007, Award for DefendantButler County
Arbitration of adulterated food personal injury claim.
- Mar 4, 2022
- Aug 19, 2021
- Press Release, Aug 20, 2020
- Press Release, Aug 15, 2019
- Attorney at Law Magazine, Nov 11, 2018
- Press Release, Aug 15, 2018
- DRI Member News, Mar 7, 2017
- Press Release, Jan 23, 2017
- John Dunn Installed as President of Salmon P. Chase College of Law Alumni Association Board of GovernorsPress Release, Sep 15, 2016
- Press Release, Oct 14, 2014
- Press Release, Oct 7, 2014
- WKRC-TV 12, Jun 21, 2012
- Kentucky Supreme Court Affirms Court of Appeals Decision in Case of First Impression Involving Personal JurisdictionPress Release, Mar 28, 2011
- Ethical Workers’ Comp Claim Negotiations in the State of KentuckyElectric Insurance In-House Seminar - Louisville, KY, Oct 9, 2014
- Civil Practice in State Court-Kentucky Bar Association New Attorney CLELexington, KY, Jan 24, 2014
- Kentucky's Workers Compensation Administrative ProceduresCorVel Corporation - Downers Grove, IL, Oct 10, 2013
- A Primer in Kentucky Workers Comp Law - CorVel Corporation - Jackson, MSFeb 21, 2013
- Kentucky Civil Judicial System and Best Practices in State CourtsKentucky Bar Association CLE - Lexington, KY, Feb 13, 2013
- Kentucky Workers Comp Act An OverviewCorVel Corporation TPA - Dublin, OH, Jan 21, 2013
- Mitigation and Negotiation Defenses in Workers’ Comp - Chartis Insurance Co. Workers’ Comp Kentucky Self-Insurance Group - Louisville, KYAug 30, 2012
- Subrogation Procedures and Issues in ERISA Medicare, Medicaid, Veteran’s Affairs and Other Private Health and Auto Med Pay PlansNational Business Institute CLE Seminar – Handling Complex Insurance Coverage Disputes - Lexington, KY, May 24, 2012
- The Use of a Sworn Statement under Oath and Preconditions for its UseGreater Louisville Claims Assn. - Louisville, KY, May 18, 2012
- Electronically Stored Information and E-DiscoveryKY CLE Seminar- Salmon P. Chase Inn of Court - Lexington, KY, Mar 22, 2012
- Civil Practice in Kentucky State CourtsKentucky Bar Association’s New Lawyer Training Program - Lexington, KY, Jan 25, 2012
- Medical Terminology and Definitions Within the Workers’ Compensation SystemBroadspire Workers’ Compensation Dept. - Louisville, KY, Jan 17, 2012
- General Insurance Coverage IssuesCNA Commercial Insurance Division - Chicago, IL, Dec 8, 2011
- Claim Handling Ethics and Bad Faith in Workers’ Compensation, General Casualty and Property Claim Administration - Sedgwick Claims ServiceDedicated Electric Insurance Workers’ Comp. Unit - Louisville, KY, Aug 25, 2011
- Motions to Reopen Worker Compensation Claims - 2011 CEU Institute BroadspireLouisville, KY, Jul 20, 2011
- Employment Ramifications of Social MediaNorthern KY Chamber of Commerce HR Group 100 - Ft. Mitchell, KY, Jul 14, 2011
- The Fundamentals of Americans with Disability Act ClaimNorthern Kentucky Chamber of Commerce Human Resources 100 Group - Kentucky, Apr 14, 2011
- Kentucky Trucking Liability Law UpdateCunningham & Butler Annual Trucking Risk Management Seminar - Dubuque, IA, Oct 19, 2010
- Truck Accident Litigation- It's Not Just a Big Car Wreck- Kentucky Justice Association CLE.Lexington, KY, May 14, 2010
- "The Evolving Use of Technology in the Defense of Trucking Liability Claims", Wheels Insurance, Ltd./National Interstate Insurance Risk Control WorkshopJan 13, 2010
- Dissecting the Anatomy of a Trucking Liability ClaimMay 14, 2009
- Gathering the Evidence in a Trucking Liability CaseApr 1, 2009
- Kentucky Trucking and Transportation Law, Cottingham and Butler/SISCO Foods SeminarDubuque, Iowa, Jun 17, 2008
- Ohio Trucking Law and Tort Reform, North American Risk Services Claim DepartmentMaitlin, Florida, May 21, 2008
- 2007 Family Medical Leave Act Updated, Council on Education & ManagementCincinnati, Ohio, Nov 5, 2007
- Reminger Co., LPA Retail & Hospitality Newsletter Winter 2015, Feb 10, 2015
- Jan 27, 2014
- Claims and Litigation Management Wiki Page, Jan 27, 2014
- Claims and Litigation Management Wiki Page, Jan 20, 2014
- Kentucky Damages, Court Structure, Notice of Claim and Offers of JudgmentCLM Claims Handling Resource Web Publication, May 22, 2013
- Business Lexington, May 11, 2011
- District Court Recognizes that State Common Law Claims against Shippers and Freight Brokers are Preempted by the FAAAANov 22, 2022
- Jul 10, 2020
- Jun 16, 2020
- Jan 16, 2018
- Seventh Circuit Upholds Exclusion of Expert Testimony that “Cumulative Exposure” Equals Causation in Asbestos CasesSep 19, 2017
- Finally, a Win for Long-Term Care Facilities: United States Supreme Court Invalidates Kentucky Rule Singling Out Arbitration AgreementsMay 31, 2017
- Oct 11, 2016
- Indiana Court of Appeals Finds that Post-Accident Reports Do Not Constitute Subsequent Remedial MeasuresAug 23, 2016
- Jul 5, 2016
- U.S. Supreme Court Rules on Standing and “Concrete” Injury in Class Actions - Spokeo, Inc. v. Robins, U.S. S.Ct. No 13-1339 (May 16, 2016)Jun 7, 2016
- Mar 9, 2015
- Nov 4, 2014
- Kentucky Joins Majority of Jurisdictions by Holding that UIM Claims Accrue When the Insurer Denies an Insured’s ClaimSep 2, 2014
- Aug 18, 2014
- Architects and Engineers/Construction Liability
- Directors and Officers (D&O) Liability Defense
- Employment Practices Defense
- Environmental/Mass Tort/Class Action
- General Liability/Surplus Risks
- Health Care
- Medical Malpractice
- Products Liability
- Professional Liability
- Retail, Hospitality and Entertainment Facilities
- Trucking and Commercial Transportation
- Kentucky Court of Appeals
M.S., National Security Strategy, National War College, 2018
J.D., Salmon P. Chase College of Law, 2003
B.S., Xavier University, cum laude, 1996
- State of Ohio, 2004
- Commonwealth of Kentucky, 2004
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio, 2004
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, 2004
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Kentucky, 2005
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Kentucky, 2005
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2012