- Northwest Indiana
Practice Group Attorneys
Our team of experienced attorneys address the legal matters facing dentists and those in the dental specialty arena, so that they can focus on what they do best - without the pain or stress of worry.
The dental liability practice group of Reminger is composed of more than a dozen attorneys, combining extensive experience and expertise in the defense of dentists, including all of the recognized dental specialties. Collectively, we have defended over 1,000 dental malpractice cases throughout Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky.
We have significant experience in the representation of dentists before state licensing boards and agencies.
In conjunction with our business lawyers, we have significant experience in assisting dentists with various aspects of practice management including employment issues, transactional issues involving the sale or purchase of a practice, and questions relating to corporate structure.
Our attorneys are frequent speakers at risk management seminars for dentists sponsored by professional liability insurers, professional organizations, and local study clubs. We serve on the active faculty of the Case Western Reserve School of Dentistry, where we provide an introduction to the law and risk management practices for dental students and other faculty members. Our attorneys also regularly contribute to literature on risk management for dentists; our contributions range from periodic reports to our clients on particular issues to comprehensive book chapters on risk management published in textbooks on implant dentistry.
We have a deep appreciation for the fact that a claim against any professional can be stressful and carry significant long term consequences. Therefore, we evaluate our cases in the early stages of litigation in order to develop a thoughtful defense strategy and successful case resolution.
Our Service and Philosophy of Case Handling
Our group distinguishes itself from our competition in the following basic ways:
- Expertise. Through the individual and collective experience of our practice group attorneys, we bring to the table a vast amount of expertise in the handling of dental malpractice cases. Our attorneys are familiar with the involved anatomy and can quickly identify the dental/legal issues once presented with the pertinent facts.
- Dedicated Client Service. Our practice protocol requires our attorneys to contact the insured professional immediately upon receipt of a new assignment and to meet with the new client as soon as practical following receipt of the assignment. Within twenty-one days, we will provide an initial analytical report along with comprehensive recommendations for further handling.
- Philosophy of Practice. Reminger's dental liability attorneys are trial lawyers, rather than 'litigators'. Once we collaborate with the client on a decision or objective on a case, we become proactive in resolving the matter in the least amount of time and at the least amount of expense. Similarly, if the decision is made that the case should be defended through trial, our attorneys will prepare the case for trial in a dedicated and consistent manner; we will not change the course at the eleventh hour in order to 'avoid the courtroom'.
- Good Value. Our firm is a pioneer in 'alternative fee' arrangements with clients. If a client chooses to be charged by the hour, our rate is simple and straightforward. Our net rate is inclusive of all in-house, out-of-pocket expenses. Thus, there are no extra charges for such things as long distance telephone, mailings, mileage, computer usage research charges, fax, copies, etc.
- Value Added Components. Our dental liability group members are available for complimentary consultation with both insureds and claim representatives for input on the handling of risk management issues and/or claims which have not reached the litigation stage. Additionally, our attorneys will make themselves available on a complimentary basis to speak with insurance professionals and/or dental professionals about risk management issues.
Arch Insurance Company, CNA Insurance Company, Cincinnati Insurance Company, Dentist’s Advantage Insurance Company, Fortress Insurance Company, OMS National Insurance Company, Professional Solutions Liability Insurance Company, The Doctors Company, The Medical Protective Company, Hudson Insurance, Berkley Select American Association of Orthodontists and Aspen Specialty.
- Plaintiff v. Prosthodontist DefendantMarch 30, 2018, Defense VerdictCuyahoga
Defense of dental malpractice claim against prosthodontist alleging chronic pain from implants and ill-fitting overdentures.
- Larry Wagers v. Dr. Geoffrey Gold, D.D.S.January 30, 2018, Judgment for DefendantHamilton
Defense of dental malpractice claim resulting from a tooth extraction.
- Virginia Rudolph, et al. v. James J. Goodpaster, D.M.D., et al.November 18, 2016, Plaintiff VerdictMonroe County
Dental malpractice case alleging a dislocated jaw during tooth extractions
- J. Horne, et al., v. D. Jensen, DMDOctober 13, 2016, Defense VerdictFranklin
Defense of dental malpractice
- Jada Horne v. Darrell Jensen, DMDOctober 2016, Defense VerdictFranklin
Defense of dental malpractice claim alleging osteomyelitis from infected implant.
- S. Jesse, et al. v. C. Fleming, M.D.April 14, 2016, Defense VerdictAllen
Defense of catastrophic dental malpractice case resulting in trigeminal neuralgia
- M. Bratten v. Aspen DentalFebruary 16, 2016, Motion to Dismiss GrantedMahoning
Defense of dental malpractice claim
- Morris v. R. Ragozine, DDS.August 20, 2015, Defense VerdictMahoning
Defense of dental malpractice claim
- B. Manley, et al. v. S. Kalniz, D.D.S, et al.March 20, 2015, Defense VerdictLucas
Defense of dental malpractice claim
- J. Muzella v. T. Gossweiler, DDS, et al.February 13, 2015, Finding For DefendantHamilton Cty., IN
Arbitration defense of dental liability.
- VanBuskirk v. Harter, D.D.S.December 9, 2011, Defense VerdictCuyahoga
Defense of dental malpractice claim
- Plaintiff v. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon DefendantOctober 28, 2011, Defense VerdictCuyahoga
Defense verdict in favor of oral and maxillofacial surgeon involving infection and osteomyelitis following routine extractions.
- J. Obenauer v. Michael Hudec, D.D.S.October 28, 2011, Defense VerdictCuyahoga
Defense of maxillofacial surgical malpractice case.
- C. Fears v. M. Kejriwal, DDSMay 9, 2011, Finding For DefendantHamilton
Arbitration defense of dental malpractice claim
- E/O Aquino v. R. Scheetz, DDSMarch 10, 2011, Defense VerdictFranklin
Defense of catastrophic and wrongful death medical malpractice claim
- Plaintiff v. General Dentist DefendantJanuary 21, 2011, Defense VerdictCuyahoga
Defense of dental malpractice claim involving alleged development of malocclusion and TMJ following cosmetic restoration.
- The Basics of Dental Malpractice Law and Risk ManagementCleveland, OH, October 17, 2019
- Dental Malpractice Common ClaimsCleveland, OH, October 25, 2018
- Anesthesia Safety Program Close Claims and Near MissesChicago, IL, October 13, 2018
- The Basics of Orthodontic Malpractice and Risk Management ConsiderationsColumbus, OH, August 31, 2018
- Dental Malpractice Basics and Common Issues Encountered in Claims Against Oral SurgeonsCleveland, OH, April 11, 2018
- Dental Student Risk Management ProgramCleveland, OH, January 22, 2018
- Frequent Complications Associated with Implant Dentistry Leading to Malpractice ClaimsCincinnati, OH, November 12, 2016
- Dentistry and the Law, Risk Management Practices for DentistsCleveland, OH, October 27, 2016
- Dentistry and the Law, Risk Management, and Malpractice TrendsAirport Marriott, February 9, 2016
- Dental Malpractice Liability and Tips to Avoid ItAdvanced Dental Concepts Study Club, Columbus, OH, October 20, 2015
- Digital Security, HIPAA and Health Care Impacting DentistsParagon Management Associates Dental Seminar, Washington, DC, December 4, 2014
- Risk Management-Ohio Academy of Interdisciplinary Dentofacial TherapyCleveland, OH, November 12, 2014
- Dental Malpractice Suits, the Process, and Best Practices.Columbus Dental Society, Columbus, OH, October 3, 2014
- Shula's 2 Steak & Sports, September 8, 2014
- Risk ManagementGreater Cleveland Dental Society - Cleveland, OH, September 8, 2014
- Morbidity and Mortality Session on Implant Problems and ComplicationsAmerican Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons Annual Conference - Chicago, IL, December 5, 2013
- 'Final Rule' of HIPAAComprehensive Dental Excellence Forum - Cleveland, OH, September 11, 2013
- Risk Management for the Oral and Maxillofacial SurgeonUniversity of Cincinnati Medical School - Cincinnati, OH, June 26, 2013
- Infection Prevention and Control as Basis for Dental MalpracticeCentral Ohio Medical Protective Insured Dentists - Columbus, OH, April 21, 2013
- Litigation Basics and Trial TacticsOhio State Bar Association CLE Seminar - Cleveland, OH, October 18, 2012
- Selecting Experts in Dental Malpractice ClaimsFortress Insurance Defense Counsel Seminar - Chicago, IL, July 12, 2012
- Dental Risk Management: Recent Legal Developments and TrendsNortheast Ohio Dental Study Club - Cleveland, OH, April 10, 2012
- Legal Considerations in the Practice of Dentistry and Risk Management Best PracticesCase Western Reserve University School of Dentistry - Cleveland, OH, November 10, 2011
- Trial Objections: Using the Rules of Evidence to Your AdvantageOhio State Bar Association Litigation Basics CLE seminar - Cleveland, OH, October 20, 2011
- Anatomy of a Malpractice Case and Risk Management for Dentists - CWRU School of Dental Medicine – Senior ClassCleveland, OH, November 11, 2010
- Risk Management Practices for Dentists - Alpha Omega Dental FraternityCleveland, OH, October 27, 2010
- Trial Objections: Using the Rules of Evidence to Your AdvantageOhio State Bar Association, Litigation Basics CLE Seminar - Cleveland, OH, October 13, 2010
- Patient And Risk Management Issues Affecting Dental Malpractice Liability - Ohio State University College of DentistryColumbus, OH, September 29, 2010
- Improving the Administrative Process With The Ohio State Dental Board- Ohio Legislative Senate Committee on Health, Human Services and Aging- House Bill 215.Columbus, OH, May 26, 2010
- "Handling of the Difficult Dental Patnet"- Medical Protective Spring Dental Risk Management Seminar.Columbus,OH, April 15, 2010
- The Topic of Informed Consent in Dental TreatmentNovember 16, 2009
- Communication, Documentation and Informed Consent in Dental Malpractice ClaimsNovember 12, 2009
- Trial ObjectionsOctober 14, 2009
- Risk Management for DentistsMay 17, 2009
- Best Practices in Risk Management in the Dental OfficeMay 1, 2009
- Risk Management Consult: When Doctors Don't AgreeApril 29, 2009
- Dental Malpractice and Risk ManagementCase Western Reserve School of Dental Medicine, November 20, 2008
- Handling Objections at Trial, Ohio State Bar Association Attorney CLE CourseCleveland, Ohio, October 15, 2008
- Risk Management in Implant Dentistry, Ohio Academy of Interdisciplinary Dentofacial TherapyMiddleburg Heights, Ohio, September 10, 2008
- The Litigation Process and Limitation Defenses in Dental LiabilityOhio State University College of Dentistry, August 1, 2008
- Risk Management, Civil Litigation and Administrative Actions with the Ohio State Dental Board, 64th Annual College of Dentistry, Post College of DentistryOhio State University, May 9, 2008
- Dental Malpractice Litigation, Ohio State University College of DentistryColumbus, Ohio, April 16, 2008
- Risk Management for Dentists, Medina County Dental SocietyMedina, Ohio, February 18, 2008
- Risk Management, Legal Principles & Case Study Fundamentals for the New Dentist, Case Western Reserve School of DentistryCleveland, Ohio, October 25, 2007
- Litigation Basics 2007-Trial Objections, Ohio State Bar Association CLE SeminarCleveland, Ohio, October 11, 2007
- Risk Management for Patient Using Medicines, Northeast Ohio Dental SocietySeptember 26, 2007
- Civil Litigation & Dental Board Investigations, Comfort Dental Ohio LLCDelaware, OH, August 29, 2007
- The Most Common Cause of Dental Malpractice Claims & How to Avoid Them, Ohio State University College of DentistryColumbus, OH, July 27, 2007
- Best Practices in Dental Risk Management, Northwest Ohio Association of DentistsSandusky, OH, July 17, 2007
- Risk Management for Oral Surgeons, OMSNIC Oral Surgeons ConferenceSandusky, OH, July 3, 2007
- Informed Consent for Dentists, Medical Protective Spring Risk Management SeminarColumbus, OH, April 18, 2007
- Medical Tort Reform in Ohio: Will it Hold This TIme?, Northeast Ohio Alliance of Physicians & Professional Liability Insurance UnderwritersCleveland, Ohio, April 18, 2007
- Healthcare Matters Blog, January 12, 2017
- Journal of Alpha Omega International Dental Fraternity, Winter/2015-2016, April 22, 2016
- Greater Cleveland Dental Society Bulletin, Spring 2011, April 27, 2011
- 'Dental Risk Management,' Textbook Chapter in Dental ImplantsThe Art and Science, March 2010
- Keeping the Gatekeeper at the Gate: Overcoming the 10th District’s Recent Decision that Could Remove the Teeth from Rule 10(D)(2)’s Affidavit of Merit RequirementBy: Michael M. MahonNovember 29, 2018
- Court of Appeals Holds a Wrongful Death Claim Arising from Medical Care is Subject to Statute of Repose for Medical ClaimsBy Taylor KnightJune 29, 2018
- Jeanne M. Mullin and Holly Marie WilsonSeptember 13, 2017