Ron serves as the Managing Partner for the firm's Indianapolis office. He has more than thirty years of first-chair experience representing defendants in civil litigation, including over 90 trials and arbitrations in cases of medical malpractice, hospital malpractice, dental malpractice, general liability, governmental liability, and civil rights. He regularly represents health care providers who are subjected to investigation and prosecution before state licensing agencies.
Ron lectures at education and risk management programs for physicians and dentists and has taught continuing education for attorneys on the subjects of medical malpractice and civil rights litigation. He sits on the firm's Management Group and serves as Co-Chair of the firm's Dental Liability Practice Group.
Honors & Recognitions
Ron first chair jury trial experience in lawsuits involving medical malpractice, dental malpractice, hospital malpractice, wrongful death, police civil rights violations, and general liability.
Early in his career, Ron served for 4 years as Assistant Director of Law in the City of Cleveland Law Department
- On March 29, 1994, Mayor Michael R. White issued a Proclamation recognizing Ron as the City of Cleveland Employee of the Month in recognition of exemplary public service
- On April 7, 1997, Cleveland City Council issued a Resolution recognizing Ron for his public service and 'superior achievements with the City of Cleveland'
Rated AV® Preeminent™: Very Highly Rated in Both Legal Ability and Ethical Standards by Martindale Hubbell Peer Review
Listed in Best Lawyers in America for Medical Malpractice Law - Defendants and Health Care Law
Recognized as a Super Lawyer by Indiana Super Lawyers Magazine and Ohio Super Lawyers Magazine.
Community & Professional
Indiana State Bar Association
Indianapolis Bar Association
- Apr 29, 2022Madison, IN Circuit Court
Defense of general surgeon in medical malpractice claim involving delayed operation on a small bowel obstruction.
- Oct 14, 2021US District Court, Southern District of Indiana, Indianapolis Division
Defense of the City of Frankfort, Indiana and their police officers in a Section 1983 case, with alleged claims of unlawful stop and arrest, unlawful use of force, unlawful search, malicious prosecution, and respondeat superior liability.
- Sep 30, 2020U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
Obtained summary judgment on behalf of nurse who was alleged to have been deliberately indifferent to a prisoner’s serious medical needs for violating hospital policy regarding discharge after surgery.
- Jun 23, 2020, Summary Judgment GrantedU.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
Plaintiff, a prisoner at Wabash Correctional Facility, alleged a Section 1983 claim for a deliberate indifference to his medical needs in violation of the 8th amendment.
- Aug 8, 2019, Denial of Petition to TransferIndiana Supreme Court
Marigold Overshiner and Earl Overshiner, Individually and as Parents and Guardians of their Minor Daughter, Kaitlyn Overshiner, and Kaitlyn Overshiner, v. Hendricks Regional Health and Ian Johnston, M.D
Indiana Supreme Court denied transfer upholding the decision by the Court of Appeals affirming a directed verdict in favor of defendant hospital and physician following a jury trial alleging blindness to an infant.
- Feb 21, 2019, Directed Verdict AffirmedIndiana Court of Appeals
Marigold Overshiner and Earl Overshiner, Individually and as Parents and Guardians of their Minor Daughter, Kaitlyn Overshiner, and Kaitlyn Overshiner, v. Hendricks Regional Health and Ian Johnston, M.D.
Indiana Court of Appeals affirmed judgment in favor of the defendant hospital and physician following a jury trial alleging blindness to an infant.
- Dec 6, 2017, Directed verdict for the defendantsPutnam County Circuit Court
Medical malpractice case alleging blindness, cerebral palsy and other injuries due to hyperbilirubinemia.
- Mar 20, 2017, Reversed and Remanded8th Appellate Dist
Portee, et al. v. Cleveland Clinic Foundation, et al.
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment in medical malpractice claim
- Nov 18, 2016, Plaintiff VerdictMonroe County
Dental malpractice case alleging a dislocated jaw during tooth extractions
- Mar 10, 2016, Judgment AffirmedIndiana Court of Appeals
M. Ritchie, et al. v. Community Howard Regional Health
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment denying injunctive relief in breach of contract, defamation case
- Aug 23, 2012, Reversed and Remanded8th Appellate Dist
Evelyn Diane White, et al., v. Robert P. Elias, Trustee, et al.
Reminger client appealed adverse trial court judgment regarding landlord liability personal injury claim.
- May 31, 2012, Reversed and Remanded8th Appellate Dist
Michael A. Lingo, et al. v. State of Ohio, et al./Thomas E. Day, Jr., Clerk of Court Bedford Muni. Ct., Victoria Dailey, Clerk of Court Chardon Muni. Court, and Lisa Mastrangelo, Clerk of Court of the Willoughby Mun. Court
Whether the named plaintiffs and a class of similarly situated plaintiffs are entitled to declaratory relief, injunctive relief and damages related to alleged overcharged court costs by clerks of court
- Dec 9, 2011Cuyahoga
Defense of dental malpractice claim
- Oct 28, 2010, Judgment Affirmed8th Appellate Dist
Elizabeth Schura, etc. et al. v. C. Marsick, M.D. & Physicians Staffing
Plaintiff appealed a trial court judgment in medical negligence claim.
- Jan 21, 2010, Reversed and Remanded8th Appellate Dist
Chapman, Admr., etc. v. South Pointe Hospital, et al.
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment on failure to provide an Affidavit of Merit in medical malpractice case.
- Jan 7, 2009Cuyahoga
Defense of wrongful death medical malpractice claim
- Feb 14, 2008Medina
Defense of wrongful death medical malpractice claim.
- Jan 11, 2007Cuyahoga
Defense of orthopedic surgery medical malpractice case.
- Feb 28, 2023
- Feb 24, 2022
- Super Lawyers Magazine, Dec 30, 2021
- Aug 19, 2021
- Feb 25, 2021
- Press Release, Dec 8, 2020
- Press Release, Aug 20, 2020
- Press Release, Feb 14, 2020
- Press Release, Nov 27, 2019
- Press Release, Aug 15, 2019
- Press Release, Jan 31, 2019
- Press Release, Dec 5, 2018
- Feb 20, 2018
- Press Release, Dec 6, 2017
- Press Release, Feb 16, 2017
- Press Release, Dec 2, 2016
- Press Release, Sep 26, 2016
- Press Release, Dec 2, 2015
- Press Release, Sep 30, 2015
- Press Release, Feb 2, 2015
- Press Release, Dec 3, 2014
- Press Release, Oct 24, 2014
- Press Release, Dec 5, 2013
- Press Release, Jul 2, 2013
- Press Release, Dec 17, 2012
- First Pre-Trial Conference, Discovery, Disputes, and Initial PleadingsIndianapolis, IN, Aug 4, 2017
- The Defense of Police Officers and Political SubdivisionsLorman Education Series CLE - Cleveland, OH, Mar 29, 2013
- The Defense of Police Officers and Political SubdivisionsCleveland, OH, Mar 21, 2013
- The Electronic Information Age: Challenges and Risks in the Health Delivery ProfessionCleveland Clinic Foundation/The Doctors Company Insureds - Cleveland, OH, Jan 31, 2013
- The Perils of DiagnosisCleveland Clinic, Doctors Company insured Physicians Group - Cleveland, OH, Feb 21, 2012
- Municipal Liability For Failing To Maintain Road and Public LandsDec 12, 2011
- Police Liability For Jail Injuries, Deliberate Indifference to Medical Needs and Emergency Call AccidentsMar 4, 2011
- Ohio’s Apology LawCCF Partnership Program Seminar - Beachwood, OH, Mar 1, 2011
- Medical Malpractice Liability from Miscommunications- The Doctors' Company Notheast Ohio Insured Physicians.Cleveland,OH, Mar 11, 2010
- "Becoming Litigation Savvy"- The Doctors Company & Cleveland Clinic Community Physicians GroupCleveland,OH, Jan 20, 2010
- Risk Management for DentistsMay 17, 2009
- Medical Case EvaluationsApr 23, 2009
- Infectious Diseases and Surgical IssuesApr 23, 2009
- Ohio's Apology LawMar 3, 2009
- Informed Medical Consent, The Doctor's CompanyCleveland, Ohio, Nov 20, 2008
- Dental Malpractice and Risk ManagementCase Western Reserve School of Dental Medicine, Nov 20, 2008
- Ohio's Apology Statute in Medical Care, The Doctor's Company and Ohio Hospital Insurance Company SeminarCleveland, Ohio, Mar 13, 2008
- A Review of Significant Governmental CasesDec 21, 2007
- Using Medical Records to Prove Your Case, CLE National Business InstituteCleveland, Ohio, Dec 19, 2007
- Ohio's Medical Apology Law, OHIC/TDC Physician Continuing Medical Education ConferenceCleveland, Ohio, Oct 23, 2007
- Recent Rulings Involving Attorney Misconduct in Trial, Cleveland Clinic ConferenceCleveland, Ohio, Feb 2, 2007
- Defending Pharmaceuticals and Medical FacilitiesCase Western Reserve University Alumni – Fall 2017 Magazine, Oct 10, 2017
- Published Case, Sep 11, 2017
- Reminger Co., LPA Spring 2015 Employment Practices Newsletter, Jun 1, 2015
- Published case: Lingo, et al v. State of Ohio, et al. 138 Ohio St.3d 427, 2014-Ohio-1052, Jun 9, 2014
- Ohio Court Extends Recreational Use Immunity to Injuries Received in Motor Vehicle Accidents Going to and from Recreational ActivitiesThe Public Entities of Ohio Newsletter-First Issue, Feb 21, 2012
- 'Dental Implants The Art and Science', Chapter 4Dental Risk Management, Copyright 2011, Saunders | Elsevier , 2011
- Dec 6, 2022
- Nov 21, 2022
- Dec 22, 2020
- Apr 1, 2020
- The Sixth Circuit Requires Further Student-on-Student Harassment in Order to Hold a School Liable Under Title IXMar 16, 2020
- Indiana Law Firm’s Failure to File Tort Claim Notice Did Not Proximately Cause Its Client a Lost Opportunity to Settle with Public EntitiesJan 17, 2020
- United States Supreme Court to Decide Whether Title VII Protects Sexual Orientation and Gender IdentificationSep 24, 2019
- Aug 15, 2019
- Not All Teacher Contracts Are Equal: Municipal School Districts’ Boards of Education Granted More Autonomy Than Their Non-Municipal CounterpartsJun 26, 2019
- Ohio Appellate Court Affirms Dismissal of Claims Against School District and Its Employees for School ShootingJun 19, 2019
- Nov 15, 2018
- Reminger Attorneys Win Supreme Court of Ohio Appeal to Prevent Imprudent Expansion of the Spoliation TortJun 6, 2018
- For Whom the Agreement Tolls: Tolling Agreements May Not Toll Claims Against Non-Signatory DefendantsMar 28, 2018
- Indiana Court of Appeals Reinstates Claims of Patron Shot at Steak ‘n Shake Because of Foreseeable Nature of ThreatMar 19, 2018
- Sixth Circuit Holds That Discrimination Based on Transgender Status is Considered Sex Discrimination Under Title VIIMar 14, 2018
- Jan 16, 2018
- May 24, 2017
- Apr 25, 2017
- Indiana Medical Malpractice Plaintiffs May Present New Theories of Liability at Trial That Were Not Argued to the Medical Review PanelMar 20, 2017
- Mar 16, 2016
- Ohio Supreme Court Rules that a Plaintiff Cannot Maintain a Class Action under the OCSPA without Proof that all Proposed Class Members were InjuredDec 7, 2015
- Jun 22, 2015
- Jun 15, 2015
- An Employer May Have An Obligation To Offer An Accommodation To A Job Applicant Even If The Applicant Does Not Ask For The AccommodationJun 2, 2015
- Sixth Circuit Holds That Attendance Is A Job Requirement And Rejects EEOC's Demand For Telework As ADA AccommodationMay 18, 2015
- Feb 11, 2015
- Sep 24, 2014
- Aug 22, 2013
- Dec 19, 2012
- Nov 13, 2012
- Ohio Court of Appeals Denies Class Action Lawsuit Brought Against Ohio Municipal Courts Overcharging Criminal Court CostsJun 7, 2012
- Jun 6, 2012
- Apr 5, 2012
- Feb 29, 2012
- Ohio Court Extends Recreational Use Immunity to Injuries Received in Motor Vehicle Accidents Going to and from Recreational ActivitiesFeb 9, 2011
- General Liability/Surplus Risks
- Trucking and Commercial Transportation
- Dental Liability
- Education Law Liability
- Governmental/Public Entity Liability
- Health Care
- Legal Professional Liability
- Long-Term Care Liability
- Medical Malpractice
- Professional Liability
- Retail, Hospitality and Entertainment Facilities
J.D., Case Western Reserve University, magna cum laude, 1990
- Graduated in top 10% of law school class
- Order of the Coif
B.S.B.A, John Carroll University, cum laude, 1987
- State of Ohio, 1990
- State of Indiana, 2013
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio, 1991
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana, 2013
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana, 2013
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, 1992
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit, 2014