Cliff serves as the General Counsel of Reminger, and as Co-Chair of the law firm’s Insurance Coverage/Bad Faith and Appellate Advocacy practice groups. He primarily focuses his practice on complex insurance coverage litigation, appellate practice, professional liability, oil and gas, and general liability. He practices in courts throughout the State of Ohio and provides representation to insurance clients in other states. In addition to having argued in the Ohio Supreme Court nine times, Cliff has litigated matters in virtually every appellate district in the State of Ohio, the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the United States Supreme Court.
Cliff has been a featured speaker on issues involving insurance coverage and litigation. He has been retained to act as an arbitrator on insurance coverage issues, and as an insurance expert, testifying on one occasion before the Royal Court of London. He has authored numerous articles in the area of insurance coverage law. Prior to joining Reminger, Cliff served as a judicial clerk to the Ohio Court of Claims and as a master commissioner at the Ohio Supreme Court for three years.
Cliff has been listed in Best Lawyers in America for Appellate Practice and Insurance Law since 2007. In fact, he was selected by Best Lawyers as “Lawyer of the Year for Appellate Practice – Cleveland” in 2015. He has also been honored as a “Super Lawyer” by Ohio Super Lawyers Magazine for the past 11 years and has been named by them as a Top 100 Ohio Lawyer and a Top 50 Cleveland Lawyer.
Honors & Recognitions
Listed in Best Lawyers of America for Appellate Practice and Insurance Law, since 2007
Selected as Best Lawyers Lawyer of the Year 2015 – Appellate Practice – Cleveland
Recognized as a Super Lawyer in Ohio Super Lawyers Magazine
Named a Top 100 Ohio Lawyer and a Top 50 Cleveland Lawyer by Ohio Super Lawyers Magazine
- Aug 14, 2018, Judgment ReversedOhio Supreme Court
P. Portee v. Cleveland Clinic Foundation
Defendants appealed adverse Court of Appeal decision reversing summary judgment based on statute of limitations.
- Aug 25, 2017, Defense verdict upheld8th Appellate Dist
Lynn Cordova, et al. v. Emergency Professional Services Inc., et al.
Defense verdict to emergency physician involving allegations of failure to diagnose and treat diverticulitis. The court of appeals upheld the jury verdict and trial court's refusal to excuse a physician for cause as a prospective juror, and indicated that that decision as it relates to excusing jurors for cause due to impartiality is reviewed under an abuse of discretion standard.
- Jul 16, 2014, Reversed9th Appellate Dist.
E. Hubiak, et al. v. Ohio Family Practice Center Inc., et al
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment in medical malpractice claim
- Oct 11, 2013, Judgment Affirmed6th Circuit Court of Appeals
Philadelphia Indemnity Insurance Company v. Youth Alive, Inc.
Defendant appealed adverse trial court judgment of denial of insurance coverage
- Jul 11, 2013, Reversed5th Appellate Dist
M. Phillips, et al. v. A. Phillips Deskin, et al.
Client- Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment dismissing claim for fraud, constructive trust and intentional interference of expectancy in inheritance
- Dec 6, 2012, Re-instatement of favorable trial court judgmentOhio Supreme Court
Houdek v. ThyssenKrupp
On behalf of employer, obtained Ohio Supreme Court reversal of Court of Appeal decision. Ohio Supreme Court reinstated favorable trial court summary judgment ruling on test of deliberate intent relative to employer intentional tort.
- Oct 25, 20128th Appellate Dist
Allison L. Farmer, et al. v. Renee S. Berry, et al.
Defendant-Appellant appealed trial courts granting of summary judgment in legal professional liability case
- Jun 29, 2012, Judgment Affirmed9th Appellate Dist.
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment in probate will contest action.
- Sep 29, 2010, Judgment Affirmed6th Appellate Dist
Murray Mining Coal Companies v. Rockies Express Pipeline
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment in claims for conversion of coal rights and injunctive relief against construction of utility pipeline.
- Dec 4, 2009, Reversed11th Appellate Dist
Anthony v. Andrews
Reversing sanctions issued against Defendant physician for failure to proceed in good faith at mediation conference since privileged communications should not have been disclosed in mediator's report.
- Mar 30, 2009, Affirmed9th Appellate Dist.
Strickler v. First Ohio Bank & Lending, Inc.
Affirming denial of Defendant bank's motion to stay proceeding pending arbitration since arbitration provisions did not apply to class action claims.
- Jan 29, 2009, Affirmed8th Appellate Dist
Cosgrove v. Rose
Affirming order of probate court which determined that a trustee had the authority to make monthly distributions of funds to a contingency trust beneficiary.
- Nov 11, 2008, Reversed8th Appellate Dist
Thomas v. Univ. Hospitals of Cleveland
Reversing summary judgment of medical malpractice claims granted in favor of Defendant surgeons since expert testimony created a genuine issue as to proximate causation of injuries.
- Aug 27, 2008, Affirmed9th Appellate Dist.
Braden v. Sinar
Affirming summary judgment in favor of Defendant since Plaintiff failed to establish a prima facie claim of medical malpractice without adequate expert testimony.
- Aug 7, 2008, Affirmed8th Appellate Dist
Pappas v. Ippolito
Affirming summary judgment in favor of Defendant since Plaintiff could not have relied upon Defendant's alleged representations prior to sale of apartment building
- Jul 26, 2007, Reversed8th Appellate Dist
Estate of Holman v. Kates
Reversing jury verdict rendered in favor of Defendant doctor in medical malpractice suit because trial court erred in prohibiting Plaintiff's testimonial statements
- Mar 21, 2007, ReversedSupreme Court of Ohio
State Auto Ins. Co. v. Pasquale
Reversing appellate court's denial of insurance company's motion for summary judgment since contractual exclusion of vehicles designed for use mainly off public roads from uninsured and underinsured coverage was valid.
- Mar 1, 2007, Reversed8th Appellate Dist
Kowalski v. Marymount Hospital
Reversing jury verdict rendered in favor of Defendants doctors in medical malpractice suit due to a jury instruction given at trial which probably misled the jury in a matter substantially affecting the complaining party's substantial rights.
- City of Sharonville v. American Employers Ins. (United National)May 19, 2006, Decision AffirmedSupreme Court of Ohio
Insurance carrier client appeals from an adverse ruling at the trial court finding coverage in a governmental liability complaint alleging ostensible intentional conduct by insured’s agents
- Jun 17, 2005, Judgment ReversedSharonville v. American Employers Ins. Co.
Sharonville v. American Employers Ins. Co.
Plaintiff appeals adverse trial court ruling on declaratory judgment seeking coverage under governmental liability insurance policy.
- Sep 3, 2004, Affirmed1st Dist. Ct. of App.
City of Sharonville v. United National Ins. Co.
Plaintiff City appeals adverse trial court judgment denying coverage for murder “cover up” conspiracy claim.
- Aug 5, 2002, Decision Affirmed5th Dist. Ct. Appeals
Henderson v. Luhri
Appeal of trial court’s judgment entry denying Defendant/Appellant’s Motion to Intervene.
- Press Release, Nov 27, 2019
- Press Release, Aug 15, 2019
- Press Release, Dec 5, 2018
- Press Release, Aug 15, 2018
- Press Release, May 25, 2018
- Press Release, Dec 6, 2017
- Press Release, Aug 15, 2017
- Press Release, Aug 8, 2017
- Press Release, Dec 2, 2016
- Press Release, Aug 15, 2016
- Press Release, Dec 2, 2015
- Press Release, Aug 17, 2015
- Press Release, Dec 3, 2014
- Press Release, Aug 18, 2014
- Four Reminger Co., LPA Attorneys Named Best Lawyers® 2015 "Lawyer of the Year" in Various Practice AreasPress Release, Aug 18, 2014
- Press Release, Dec 5, 2013
- Aug 16, 2013
- Press Release, Dec 17, 2012
- Clifford Masch in Plain Dealer Article on Ohio Supreme Court Decision Involving Ohio Intentional Tort StatuteThe Plain Dealer, Dec 10, 2012
- Press Release, Aug 24, 2012
- Press Release, Dec 16, 2011
- Press Release, Aug 31, 2011
- Advanced Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist LawCleveland, OH, Dec 12, 2019
- Consent Judgments and the Potential Impact on Coverage and Bad Faith Claims: Foresight Beats Hindsight Every TimeNew York City, NY, Apr 19, 2019
- CLE Webinar, Mar 28, 2019
- Allocation Among Multiple Implicated Insurance PoliciesAkron, OH, Jan 29, 2019
- The Same Juror RuleColumbus, OH, Dec 13, 2018
- The Ohio Supreme Court Confirms that the Ohio Saving Statute Does not Apply to Actions Previously Commenced in Another State Court or in a Federal Court Located in Another StateCleveland, OH, Dec 7, 2018
- Webinar, Jan 23, 2018
- Advanced Issues in Insurance Law CoverageAkron, OH, Dec 19, 2016
- Issues that Arise in Tri-Party Insurance RelationshipsCleveland Metropolitan Bar Assn. Insurance Law CLE, Cleveland, OH, Jun 7, 2016
- Stacking Insurance Coverage and Uninsured Motorist Set-offsNational Business Institute CLE Seminar, Cleveland, OH, Apr 8, 2016
- Bad Faith Damages: It’s All in the RemedyCleveland Metropolitan Bar Assn. Annual CLE – Insurance Coverage Issues, Cleveland, OH, May 29, 2015
- Ramifications of Providing Defense Under Reservation of RightsEndurance Insurance Company Claim Staff, New York, NY, May 27, 2015
- Stacking of Insurance Coverage and Uninsured Motorist Set-OffsNational Business Institute CLE Seminar, Cleveland, OH, Dec 6, 2014
- Reservations and Reservation of Rights in Insurance CoverageNortheast Ohio Association of Corporate Counsel, Oct 23, 2014
- Strategies and Considerations for the Policyholder When a Carrier Provides a Defense Under a Reservation of RightsSherwin Williams Landmark Conference room -101 W. Prospect Avenue, 9th Floor - Cleveland, Ohio, Oct 16, 2014
- Coverage in Professional Liability RisksAllied World Assurance Webinar - Hartford, CT, Nov 15, 2013
- Future of Employer Intentional Torts - Ohio State Bar AssnCLE Seminar on Workers’ Comp. and Employment Practices - Cleveland, OH, Sep 24, 2013
- The Tripartite Relationship in Insurance RepresentationAkron Bar Association CLE - Akron, OH, Jun 7, 2013
- The Fundamentals of Insurance Coverage in Medical Malpractice PoliciesSouth Pointe Hospital Staff - Cleveland, OH, Mar 18, 2013
- Strategies for Litigating a Coverage CaseAkron Bar Association CLE - Akron, OH, Oct 30, 2012
- The Ins and Outs of Insurance ContractsLake County Common Pleas Judges and Bar Association CLE - Mentor, OH, Oct 18, 2012
- Advanced Issues in Insurance LawOhio State Bar Association CLE - Columbus, OH, Aug 23, 2012
- Insurance Coverage for Punitive Damages and Intentional Torts in the United StatesFirst Party Claims Conference - Providence, RI, Oct 19, 2011
- Defense Counsel and the Making of Decisions in Insurance Coverage DisputesOhio Judicial College Conference - Cleveland, OH, Jun 24, 2011
- Calculation and Proving LossNational Business Institute Insurance Law Seminar - Cleveland, OH, May 12, 2011
- Using Effective Remedies And Ethics To Combat 'Rambo' Litigation TacticsNational Business Institute CLE Seminar - Cleveland, OH, Jul 30, 2010
- Jun 10, 2010
- Pre-Appeal ConsiderationsApr 28, 2009
- Settling Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Claims, National Business Institute SeminarCleveland, OH, Dec 19, 2008
- Insurance Coverage and Bad Faith Issues That Arise in Risk Retention Group Policies, National Risk Retention Association Annual ConferenceWashington, DC, Sep 24, 2008
- Forms of Self-Insurance and Agent Broker Liability, Lorman Continuing Legal Education SeminarCleveland, Ohio, Apr 8, 2008
- Litigation Bad Faith Insurance Claims, National Business Institute CLECleveland, Ohio, Apr 1, 2008
- Common Types of Insurance Coverage Disputes, National Business Institute CLE SeminarCleveland, Ohio, Oct 17, 2007
- Insurance Coverage Law, Cleveland Marshall College of Law CLE SeminarCleveland, Ohio, Sep 29, 2007
- Bad Faith in Commercial Insurance Coverage Disputes, Royal & SunAlliance National Claims OfficeCharlotte, NC, Feb 23, 2007
- How to Get Your Expert Testimony Admitted in Ohio, National Business Institute CLEFeb 16, 2007
- Ohio Lawyer July/August 2018 Issue, Jul 2018
- Ohio Lawyer, Vol. 30., No. 5 , Sep 2016
- Published case: Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Assn. v. Schiff 139 Ohio St. 3d 456, 2014-Ohio-2573, Jun 18, 2014
- Absent a deliberate intent to injury another an employer is not liable for a claim alleging an employer intentional tort - Published Case: Houdek v. ThyssenKrupp MaterialsPublished Case: Houdek v. ThyssenKrupp Materials, Apr 1, 2013
- Employees attorney was not authorized to complete, sign and submit application on employees behalf to change beneficiaries to retirement accountPublished-Farmer, et al v. Berry, et al., 2012-Ohio-4940, Feb 18, 2013
- Crain's Cleveland Business – Legal Advisor - February 4, 2013, Feb 4, 2013
- Sep 1, 2012
- PLUS Journal, Vol. 24, No. 5, May 20, 2011
- Duty to Defend and Intentional Act ExclusionReminger Insurance Coverage/ Bad Faith Quarterly Newsletter Spring 2010, Jun 1, 2010
- Apr 1, 2010
- Bad Faith Litigation: The Attorney Client PrivilegeMar 5, 2009
- Monitoring the PIE LiquidationOhio Lawyer, Nov 1998
- The Ohio Supreme Court Confirms that the Ohio Saving Statute Does Not Apply to Actions Previously Commenced in Another State Court or in a Federal Court Located in Another StateSep 5, 2018
- Court Finds That E&O Policy Dishonesty Exclusion Negates Coverage Where Underlying Tortious Claims Were Also Found to be the Subject of a Civil ConspiracyApr 23, 2018
- U.S. Supreme Court Rules on Standing and “Concrete” Injury in Class Actions - Spokeo, Inc. v. Robins, U.S. S.Ct. No 13-1339 (May 16, 2016)Jun 7, 2016
- Ohio Supreme Court Rules that a Plaintiff Cannot Maintain a Class Action under the OCSPA without Proof that all Proposed Class Members were InjuredDec 7, 2015
- Aug 7, 2013
- Ohio Supreme Court Reaffirms that Absent Circumstances Demonstrating Employer's Deliberate Intent to Cause Injury, An Employee May Not Maintain a Workplace Intentional Tort ClaimDec 13, 2012
- Ohio Supreme Court Determines That Insurance Policy's Definition of Occurrence and/or Policy Exclusion for Intended or Expected Injuries or Criminal Acts Caused by an "Insured" Does Not Bar Coverage for Claim of Negligent Hiring/Training/SupervisionAug 20, 2009
J.D., Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, 1983
B.A., Cleveland State University, 1980
- State of Ohio, 1983
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio, 1989
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, 1989
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1993