Patrick is a trial lawyer who has tried hundreds of jury trials, bench trials, arbitrations and administrative hearings. He also maintains an active appellate practice, having handled roughly 100 appeals, including twelve matters before the Ohio Supreme Court.
Patrick is routinely called upon to handle some of the most high profile litigation in Ohio:
- As lead counsel, Patrick successfully defended the litigation arising out of the catastrophic Fireball accident at the Ohio State Fair in 2017.
- Successfully defended, as lead counsel, the mass stabbings at the Attorney General’s office.
- Successfully defended numerous class and collective actions involving wage hour matters and other employment related claims.
- Successfully defended hundreds of employment discrimination, retaliation and wrongful termination claims.
- Successfully defended two separate elevator deaths on Ohio State’s campus.
- Successfully defended over 50 wrongful imprisonment cases.
Patrick serves as a member of the firm’s Management Committee. He handles litigation involving high exposure tort claims, employment matters, wage and hour collective actions, governmental liability, professional liability, and unfair competition and trademark issues.
Honors & Recognitions
Listed in Best Lawyers in America for Employment Law-Individuals, Employment Law-Management, and Labor Law-Management, since 2013
Community & Professional
American Bar Association
Columbus Bar Association
Defense Research Institute
- Mar 6, 2020, Motion for Judgment on the PleadingsUnited States District Court Northern District of Ohio (Eastern Division)
Defense of police chief and captain against Fourteenth Amendment claim that the police department failed to adequately investigate the circumstances of the death of Plaintiff’s family member.
- Feb 28, 2020, Judgment Affirmed6th Appellate Dist
Dr. Kirk Halliday v. The Board of Directors of the Mental Health and Recovery Board
of Erie and Ottawa Counties, et al.
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment in defamation claim
- Sep 30, 2019, Motion for Summary Judgment GrantedLicking
Obtained judgment in a case alleging harassment by employer.
- Aug 27, 2019, Motion For Summary JudgmentLicking
Defense of gender discrimination case.
- Aug 6, 2019, Motion For Summary JudgmentButler County
Obtained Decision and Entry granting summary judgment on a premises liability case with significant injuries.
- Jun 3, 2019, Summary JudgmentDelaware
Defense of premises liability case alleging significant injury
- Mar 27, 2019, Summary JudgmentU.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
Defense of RICO claim.
- Mar 26, 2019, Judgment Affirmed10th Appellate Dist
Moses McCormick, et al. v. Hsiu Chen Lu, et al.
Defense of a legal malpractice claim with a summary judgment granted at the lower court.
- Mar 19, 2019, Motion For Summary Judgment GrantedU.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
Defense of age discrimination claim
- Feb 27, 2019, Judgment AffirmedUnited States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
Portia A. Boulger v. James H. Woods
Reminger Obtains Dismissal of Defamation Lawsuit Filed Against Actor James Woods
- Feb 19, 2019, Judgment AffirmedThird District Court of Appeals, Union County
E/O Glenna Zellner, v. Prestige Gardens Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, et al
Plaintiff appeal adverse trial court judgment in long term care case based on signed arbitration agreement
- Oct 5, 2018, Judgment Affirmed6th Appellate Dist
Kirk Halliday, Ph.D. v. The Mental Health and Recovery Board of Erie and Ottawa Counties
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial result in wrongful termination case.
- May 21, 2018, Judgment AffirmedCourt of Appeals, Third Appellate District Union County
Betty Oliver v. City of Marysville
Defense of appeal against declaratory judgment and injunctive relief action decision from trial court.
- Sep 22, 2017, Judgment Affirmed5th Appellate Dist
S.C., A Minor, et al. v. Licking Co. Health Dept., et al.
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment in governmental premises liability personal injury claim
- Jul 11, 2017, Judgment Affirmed5th Appellate Dist
Patterson v. Licking Township
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment in governmental liability claim based on wage and hour compensation
- Owens v. Franklin Township Police DepartmentJul 10, 2017, Defense VerdictFranklin
Defense of governmental liability police action for false imprisonment claim
- Feb 14, 2017, Summary Judgment Affirmed10th Appellate Dist
Amy Greenberg et al. v. Sherri Heyman-Silbiger, exec., et al.
Defense of $1M breach of contract claim levied against estate and trust by former business associate.
- Dec 6, 2016, Affirming dismissal of Motion to DismissUnited States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
Novel v. Lane Alton & Horst, Rick Marsh, Ray Pantel
Defense of Racketeering & Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO) and fraud claims against law firm and attorneys
- Sep 23, 2016, Motion for Summary Judgment GrantedU.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
Defense of race and national origin and retaliation claim
- Aug 17, 2016, Judgment AffirmedUSDC 6th Cir. Appeal
Jonah Holbrook v. Stephanie Dumas (Village of Lincoln Heights)
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment in First Amended retaliatory discharge claim
- Mar 10, 2016, Favorable OutcomeAmerican Arbitration Assn.
Arbitration defense of construction liability defect and warranty claim
- Dec 15, 2015, Judgment Affirmed10th Appellate Dist
S. Smith-Huff v. Wal-Mart Stores
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court decision granting retailer summary judgment in retail & hospitality personal injury claim involving trip and fall.
- Nov 9, 2015, Judgment Affirmed3rd Appellate Dist.
J. Moore v. Dollar General Corp.
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment in claim for false imprisonment and defamation.
- Aug 26, 2015, Permit deniedMarion
Defense of conditional use permit appeal from property owner
- Aug 21, 2015, Judgment AffirmedUnited States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
E. McCowen v. Village of Lincoln Heights
Plaintiff appealed adverse federal court’s judgment on employment practices claim.
- May 8, 2015, Judgment Affirmed1st Appellate Dist
George Fisher v. Amberley Village
Client appealed validity of tax levy by Village for providing police services.
- Feb 11, 2015, Judgment Affirmed1st Appellate Dist
E/O Kingrey v. Duke Energy, et al.
Plaintiff’s appealed adverse trial court judgment in wrongful death personal injury claim.
- Feb 6, 2015, Reversed6th Appellate Dist
H. Stanton v. Jerusalem Twp., et al.
Governmental defendant appealed adverse trial court judgment granting fire chief judgment for wrongful termination.
- Mar 31, 2014, Judgment Affirmed7th Appellate Dist
Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation v. Jeffrey McKinley, et al.
Plaintiff (Ohio BWC) appealed adverse trial court judgment in its assertion of subrogation lien of benefits paid by virtue of industrial accident
- Jun 27, 2013, Judgment Affirmed10th Appellate Dist
Nadezhda Titenok v. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment in commercial premises liability personal injury claim
- Jun 24, 2013, Judgment Affirmed4th Appellate Dist
Marianne Ray, et al. v. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment in commercial premises liability personal injury claim.
- Apr 19, 2013, Plaintiff VerdictFranklin (Industrial Commission)
Workers’ comp administrative prosecution of claim of specific safety requirements violation (VSSR claim)
- Jan 13, 2012, Plaintiff VerdictFairfield
Prosecution of Plaintiff personal injury construction liability case
- Sep 7, 2011, Judgment Affirmed9th Appellate Dist.
Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation v. McKinley, et al.
Defendant appealed applicability of statutory subrogee statute of limitation period whether 2 years or 6 years.
- Jul 13, 2011, Judgment Affirmed5th Appellate Dist
Noel Christian, Admr., et al. v. Wal-Mart Stores East, LP
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment in wrongful death claim in commercial premises liability.
- Sep 1, 2009, AffirmedSupreme Court of Ohio
Delost v. First Energy Corp., et al.
a) The certified question is answered in Corrigan v. Illum. Co., 122 Ohio St.3d 265, 2009-Ohio-2524, 910 N.E.2d 1009, and the judgment of the court of appeals is affirmed.
- Nov 8, 2007, Award for PlaintiffFranklin
Arbitration defense of auto liability personal injury claim.
- Patrick Kasson Quoted in Sandusky Register Article on Appeal of Defamation Lawsuit Against Mental Health BoardSandusky Register, Feb 29, 2020
- Sep 9, 2019
- Press Release, Aug 15, 2019
- Patrick Kasson Featured in Multiple Media Outlets Regarding 6th Circuit Court of Appeals Twitter Case Involving Actor James WoodsPress Release, Mar 1, 2019
- Press Release, Aug 15, 2018
- Press Release, Aug 15, 2017
- Press Release, May 18, 2017
- Press Release, Aug 15, 2016
- Press Release, Aug 17, 2015
- Press Release, Aug 18, 2014
- Aug 16, 2013
- Press Release, Aug 24, 2012
- 7 Ways Your Employees May Sue YouColumbus, OH, May 15, 2018
- Seven Ways Your Employees May Sue YouColumbus, OH, May 14, 2018
- Top 10 Hot Employment TopicsColumbus, OH, Nov 2, 2017
- Unemployment Compensation – How to Defend and its Interplay with Other Forms of Employers LiabilityColumbus, OH, Sep 27, 2017
- How to Defend Unemployment Compensation ClaimsColumbus, OH, May 23, 2017
- Top Ten Current Employment Law IssuesCNA Global Specialty Lines, Wyomissing, PA, Dec 3, 2015
- Physician Employment Agreements – Terms and NegotiationsDept. Family Medicine – University Hospitals, Cleveland OH, Sep 8, 2015
- Damages in an Employment Practices Liability ClaimMasters’ Employment Law CLE Seminar - Columbus, OH, Oct 30, 2013
- Retail patron has no cause of action for tripping on protruding object without relating the condition to the stores performance or constructive knowledge. - Published Case: Ray v. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., 2013-Ohio-2684Sep 30, 2013
- Effective Electronic Medical Records in Health Care LitigationFall Conference of Ohio Society for Health Risk Managers (OSHRM) - Columbus, OH, Sep 20, 2013
- Premises Liability Claims in Ohio and KentuckyDollar General Claim Representatives - Nashville, TN, Apr 15, 2013
- Electronic Medical Records and the Litigation ProcessHospital Insurance Forum’s Annual Meeting - Scottsdale, AZ, Apr 2, 2013
- 'I’m Sorry' – Dealing With Unanticipated Outcomes and Addressing Them With Patient’s FamilyOhio Society of Healthcare Risk Managers - Columbus, OH, Sep 18, 2012
- Defensible Nursing DocumentationHolzer Medical Center - Jackson, OH, Jul 18, 2011
- The Summary of Medical Malpractice Concepts - Ohio State University Medical SchoolColumbus, OH, Mar 15, 2011
- Trenton, OH, Nov 17, 2010
- Columbus, OH, Nov 9, 2010
- Common Employment Law Traps - Human Resources Professionals of Intelegrated Inc. & CNA Global Specialty LinesCincinnati, OH, Sep 10, 2010
- Jun 17, 2010
- Preparing and Giving Deposition Testimony in a Medical CaseApr 13, 2009
- ADA/FMLA and the Interplay with Worker's Compensation, Dollar General-Sedgwick-Attys and Claim Administrators MeetingColumbus, Ohio, Oct 6, 2008
- Navigating the Pitfalls of the Hiring Process, Ohio Township Administrators ConventionCincinnati, Ohio, Aug 5, 2008
- "Avoiding the Pitfalls of the Family Medical Leave Act", Jackson Township Management Trustees and Management PersonnelColumbus, Ohio, Jun 2, 2008
- Avoiding the Pitfalls of FMLA, Ohio Township AssociationColumbus, Ohio, May 6, 2008
- 2007 Family Medical Leave Act Updated, Council on Education & ManagementCincinnati, Ohio, Nov 5, 2007
- Premises Liability for Acts of Independent Contractors, The Miller Brewing CompanyMiddletown, OH, Sep 28, 2007
- Proper Investigation Techniques in Workers' Compensation Claims, Pepsi Cola Bottling Plants Worker's Comp. UnitColumbus, OH, Jun 15, 2007
- Anatomy of a Nursing Home Lawsuit, Nursing Home Administrators-Alliance Training CenterColumbus, OH, Jun 12, 2007
- Ohio Township News, a Publication of the Ohio Township Association, Spring 2020
- Newsletter, Dec 16, 2016
- State ex. rel. Maddox v. Lincoln Hts., 147 Ohio St. 3d 213, 2016-Ohio-5001, Dec 5, 2016
- Employers Must Re-Examine Overtime Practices After Department of Labor Drastically Restricts ExemptionsFall 2016 Employment Practices Liability Newsletter, Oct 26, 2016
- Employee or Independent Contractor? Crucial Determinations in the Age of FLSA Class Actions and the Affordable Care Act’s Employer MandateReminger Co., LPA Spring 2015 Employment Practices Newsletter, Jun 1, 2015
- Reminger Employment Practices Newsletter Fall 2014, Nov 6, 2014
- Prosecuting and Defending Bad Faith CasesAug 22, 2014
- Basic Federal Labor Law for Non-Union EmployersReminger Employment Practices Newsletter - Spring 2013, Apr 15, 2013
- Published Case: State ex rel. Donohoe v. Kenny Hutson Co.130 Ohio St.3d 360, 2011-Ohio-5798, Mar 15, 2012
- VSSR Violation Claim in Workers Compensation Requires the Hearing Officer to Specifically Outline the Evidence Relied Upon for DecisionDec 12, 2011
- Bureau of Workers’ Compensation is a statutory subrogee and has a 6 year statute of limitation in which to bring a claim for subrogation recoveryOhio Bureau of Workers' Compensation v. McKinley, et al. 130 Ohio St.3d. 156, 2011-Ohio-4432, Nov 28, 2011
- Protecting Your Company's Trade SecretsEmployment Practices Group E-Newsletter - Summer 2011, Jul 1, 2011
- Top 5 Ways to Avoid an Employment Law MessReminger Employment Practices Group Summer 2010 Newsletter, Jun 21, 2010
- A utilities right of way cannot be impeded by the property ownerOct 26, 2009
- "2006 Ohio Workers' Compensation: A Closer Look", OSBA CLE Institute Internet Continuing Legal Education Video SeminarApr 25, 2007
- Not All Public Policies Are Equal: The Supreme Court of Ohio Further Refines Wrongful Termination in Violation of Public PolicyMar 16, 2020
- The Sixth Circuit Requires Further Student-on-Student Harassment in Order to Hold a School Liable Under Title IXMar 16, 2020
- Oct 14, 2019
- United States Supreme Court to Decide Whether Title VII Protects Sexual Orientation and Gender IdentificationSep 24, 2019
- Sep 23, 2019
- Aug 15, 2019
- Immune, Not Forgotten: Ohio’s First District Holds Immune Employer Can Be Used as an “Empty Chair” When Considering Apportionment of FaultAug 13, 2019
- Not All Teacher Contracts Are Equal: Municipal School Districts’ Boards of Education Granted More Autonomy Than Their Non-Municipal CounterpartsJun 26, 2019
- Ohio Appellate Court Affirms Dismissal of Claims Against School District and Its Employees for School ShootingJun 19, 2019
- The Ohio Supreme Court Confirms that the Ohio Saving Statute Does Not Apply to Actions Previously Commenced in Another State Court or in a Federal Court Located in Another StateSep 5, 2018
- Aug 6, 2018
- Jul 25, 2018
- The Ohio Supreme Court Deals a Heavy Blow to the Use of the Delayed-Damage Rule Against Insurance Agents in Professional Liability ActionsJul 10, 2018
- FLSA Tide Continues to Turn in Favor of Employers as SCOTUS Puts an End to the Narrow Construction of FLSA ExemptionsApr 30, 2018
- For Whom the Agreement Tolls: Tolling Agreements May Not Toll Claims Against Non-Signatory DefendantsMar 28, 2018
- Mar 26, 2018
- Sixth Circuit Holds That Discrimination Based on Transgender Status is Considered Sex Discrimination Under Title VIIMar 14, 2018
- Jan 29, 2018
- UPDATE: Ohio’s Tenth District Follows Federal Precedent Finding No Standing for Technical Violations of the FCRA’s Disclosure RequirementJan 19, 2018
- Jan 16, 2018
- May 30, 2017
- Mar 13, 2017
- Oct 11, 2016
- Aug 22, 2016
- Jul 5, 2016
- U.S. Supreme Court Rules on Standing and “Concrete” Injury in Class Actions - Spokeo, Inc. v. Robins, U.S. S.Ct. No 13-1339 (May 16, 2016)Jun 7, 2016
- Apr 12, 2016
- Feb 15, 2016
- Jun 23, 2015
- Jun 22, 2015
- Jun 15, 2015
- Mar 9, 2015
- Mar 4, 2015
- Feb 10, 2015
- Jun 17, 2014
- Professional Liability
- General Liability/Surplus Risks
- Insurance Coverage/Bad Faith
- Appellate Advocacy
- Directors and Officers (D&O) Liability Defense
- Education Law Liability
- Employment Practices Defense
- Environmental / Mass Tort / Class Action
- Estates, Trusts, and Probate Litigation
- Governmental/Public Entity Liability
- Legal Professional Liability
- Retail, Hospitality and Entertainment Facilities
- Workers' Compensation
J.D., University of Dayton Law School, cum laude, 1991
B.A., Thomas Moore College, 1988
- State of Ohio, 1991
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio, 1991
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio, 1991
- Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals (1991)
- U.S. Tax Court, 1992