Jim is a shareholder partner practicing out of Reminger Co., LPA’s Indianapolis and Evansville offices. Jim concentrates his practice in all types of civil defense litigation. He has widespread experience handling catastrophic damage, wrongful death, and other insurance-defense litigation that arises under general, professional and commercial liability lines. His practice is focused heavily on the defense of trucking and transportation, retail and hospitality, construction design and defect, product and premises liability cases.
Jim also advocates for employers in workers’ compensation claims before the Indiana Workers’ Compensation Board and defends insurance carriers against first-party bad faith claims and coverage issues.
Jim joined Reminger after gaining extensive litigation experience practicing for a metropolitan insurance-defense firm in Indianapolis. Prior to attending the Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law, Jim received his Bachelor of Science from Bowling Green State University in northwest Ohio, where he played football and served as a captain of the team his senior season. Having grown up in Indianapolis, Jim is also proud to call himself an alum of Bishop Chatard High School.
In addition to having experience with litigating cases from inception through mediation, bench and jury trials, Jim has represented various trucking clients in pre-suit matters and is actively involved in Reminger’s Rapid Response Team, which assists trucking-industry clients with on-scene investigations following catastrophic trucking accidents.
Honors & Recognitions
Recognized as a 2021 Rising Star in the Indiana Super Lawyers Magazine
Community & Professional
Member of the IU Robert H. McKinney School of Alumni Board of Directors
Member of the Damar Services, Inc. Board of Directors. Damar is a disability services & support organization headquartered in Indianapolis.
National Business Institute, Member
Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum (ICLEF), Member
Indiana State Bar Association, Member
- Jun 21, 2023, Dismissal with PrejudiceIndiana Supreme Court
The Indiana Supreme Court affirmed the Monroe County Circuit Court’s dismissal of a negligence lawsuit against our construction company client.
- Mar 16, 2023, Petition to Transfer DeniedIndiana Court of Appeals
In October 2022, partial summary judgment was affirmed in a matter involving a negligence action against our client (a general contractor), stemming from the severe job-site injuries sustained by another contractor’s employee. Both the trial court and the Indiana Court of Appeals found that our client did not, pursuant to its contract with the project owner, assume a duty of care to ensure the workplace safety of the project owner’s other contractors/sub-contractors or their employees.
In March 2023, the Indiana Supreme Court denied the plaintiff’s petition to transfer. The Supreme Court’s denial established that there was no merit to further review of the case because the Court of Appeals’ correctly decided it. This case established precedent for the entire state.
- Oct 3, 2022, Decision AffirmedIndiana Court of Appeals
Partial summary judgment was affirmed in a matter involving a negligence action against our client (a general contractor), stemming from the severe job-site injuries sustained by another contractor’s employee. Both the trial court and the Indiana Court of Appeals found that our client did not, pursuant to its contract with the project owner, assume a duty of care to ensure the workplace safety of the project owner’s other contractors/sub-contractors or their employees.
- Nov 24, 2020Marion County, IN
Defense negligence claim brought by a Plaintiff who asserted she slipped and fell on a hazardous liquid substance at client’s convenience store.
- Jan 23, 2020Marion, Small claims
Arbitration defense of tenant- landlord alleging uninhabitable living conditions
- Oct 24, 2019, Order Granting Motion to Enforce Settlement AgreementDelaware
Defense negligence claim brought by a Plaintiff who asserted that he sustained injuries while working as an agricultural employee for client. Plaintiff entered into settlement agreement with clients prior to lawsuit being filed which Court found enforceable to preclude claims from being pursued as a matter of law.
- Aug 8, 2019Lawrence
Defense negligence claim brought by a Plaintiff who asserted that he received foodborne illness while dining at client’s establishment.
- Jul 30, 2018Knox
Defense negligence claim brought by a Plaintiff who asserted that she sustained an electrical shock while occupying a fair ride operated by client.
- Feb 7, 2018, Motion to Dismiss GrantedTipton Circuit Court
Plaintiff asserted claims against economic development organization and individual board members that included: 1) tortious interference with a business relationship; 2) tortious interference with a contract; 3) fraud; 4) tortious interference with contract and/or business expectancy.
- Feb 28, 2017, Summary Judgment GrantedTippecanoe Superior Court
Defense of negligence claim brought by a Plaintiff who asserted that she tripped and fell while walking into a restaurant.
- Feb 28, 2023
- Feb 24, 2022
- Feb 25, 2021
- Press Release, Jan 7, 2019
- Press Release, Mar 1, 2016
- Ohio Supreme Court Concludes Assault and Battery Exclusion Precludes Coverage Even When Assault Is Committed By Someone Who Lacks Capacity To Form IntentAug 1, 2023
- Indiana Supreme Court Affirms Personal Injury Plaintiff Can’t Double Dip Under Framework of Indiana Comparative Fault ActJun 29, 2023
- District Court Recognizes that State Common Law Claims against Shippers and Freight Brokers are Preempted by the FAAAANov 22, 2022
- Dec 12, 2018
- The Ups and Downs in Ladder Litigation: Inherently Dangerous Activity, Open and Obvious, and the Active Participation DoctrineOct 17, 2018
- Indiana Court of Appeals Holds Duty to Secure Loads Rests with Party Transporting the Load and Does Not Extend to the Warehouse FacilityMay 22, 2018
- Mar 26, 2018
- The Indiana Supreme Court Finds a Non-Delegable Duty of Worksite Safety Created in Form Design-Build Contracts Between the Owner and General ContractorMay 16, 2017
- Apr 12, 2017
- Mar 1, 2017
J.D., Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law, 2013
B.S., Business (Specialization in Business Pre-Law), Bowling Green State University, 2009
- State of Indiana, 2013
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana, 2013
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana, 2013