Ralph practices in all areas of civil litigation, and primarily focuses in the area of construction, blasting, mining, commercial explosives, and transportation in both state and federal courts. As national counsel for multiple blasting insurers and clients, Ralph has successfully defended his blasting clients in jury trials and in hundreds of cases throughout the country, and in administrative proceedings before federal and state regulatory agencies. Ralph is frequently asked to speak on legal issues facing the blasting community at industry seminars and conferences.
Ralph is also proud to defend real estate appraisers, both in court and before state regulatory agencies. As an advocate for real estate appraisers, he has successfully tried appraisal cases to juries in Ohio and Kentucky, defended appraisers before appraisal boards in both states, and has lectured on issues of importance to the appraisal industry. Ralph was honored by the Kentucky Real Estate Appraisal Board, which requested he address legal issues facing real estate appraisers at each of the board’s 2017 continuing educational seminars throughout the state.
Before joining Reminger, Ralph was a partner with another regional law firm.
Ralph is also an approved mediator with the Hamilton County, Ohio, Court of Common Pleas.
Honors & Recognitions
Hamilton County Court of Common Pleas Mediator
Community & Professional
International Society of Explosives Engineers (ISEE)
ISEE Bluegrass Chapter
Kentucky Crushed Stone Association (KCSA)
Catholic Charities Southwestern Ohio, ESL Instructor
Santa Maria Community Services, ESL Instructor
Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Voluntary Fundraiser
- Jan 31, 2021, Defense Settlement
Successfully resolved a $7M arbitration claim in a construction dispute in Los Angeles, California which resulted in no payment to the claimant and a sizeable recovery for the firm’s client.
- May 20, 2020, Defense Verdict
Successfully challenged MSHA citation on behalf of a blasting client, resulting in a reduction of assessed negligence and a significantly reduced fine.
- Apr 15, 2020, DismissalJefferson County, KY
Obtained a dismissal of a complaint on behalf of an appraiser client in Jefferson County, Kentucky successfully arguing an appraiser hired by the lender owes no duty to the property’s seller.
- Chaney v. Martin2019, Summary Judgment in favor of Defendant
Successfully briefed and argued appeal of summary judgment on client’s behalf in personal injury claim.
- Apr 8, 2019, Defense Verdict
Successfully challenged an ATF effort to revoke clients’ explosives licenses due to a theft and loss of explosives. Represented the clients before the ATF in Washington, D.C. ultimately negotiating a successful resolution for the clients that allowed them to maintain their licenses, avoid revocation / suspension, and avoid the cost of proceeding to an administrative hearing and potential appeal to federal circuit court.
- Shepherd v. Dyno Nobel, Inc.2016, Defense VerdictFloyd County, KY
Defense verdict in at jury trial of plaintiff’s claims alleging damage to her home and water well from mining and blasting operations.
- Anderson v. Armstrong Coal Co.Jun 23, 2015, SettlementMuhlenberg County, KY
Jury trial of plaintiff’s claims alleging property damage from nearby mining and blasting operations that resulted in a hung jury. The case subsequently settled for a nuisance amount significantly less than the pre-trial demand.
- 2015, Dismissal
Won dismissal of administrative citations and notices of noncompliance by Kentucky Department of Mine Reclamation and Enforcement and the Kentucky Explosives and Blasting Branch against two blasting clients for alleged violations of Kentucky blasting laws and regulations.
- 2015, Defense Verdict
Successfully defended a blasting client and construction client from claims arising from a road construction project in eastern Kentucky that involved more than 60 residential properties and a local school.
- Ortiz v. Oxford Mining Co.2015, Directed verdict for the defendantsMuhlenberg County, KY
Directed verdict in favor of defendants at jury trial of plaintiffs’ claims alleging property damage from nearby mining and blasting operations.
- Republic Bank v. Bell, Fore & Mitchell2013, Defense VerdictJefferson County, KY
Defense verdict at jury trial of plaintiff’s claims of appraiser malpractice.
- 2012, Defense VerdictPerry County, MO
Successfully defended a blasting client and quarry operation from claims arising from a fracking sand operation that involved more than 100 residential properties in Perry County, Missouri.
- Hurley v. Pompey Coal Corp. & Virginia Drilling Co., LLC2011, Defense VerdictPike County, KY
Defense verdict at jury trial of a plaintiff’s claims alleging property damage and loss of enjoyment and use of his property from blasting.
- Press Release, Apr 15, 2019
- Mar 16, 2021
- Using Proactive Community Relations to Reduce the Risk of Potential Liability, Mar 5, 2021
- Feb 26, 2021
- Webinar, Dec 2020
- Louisville, Kentucky, Dec 10, 2020
- Multiple Issues Concerning Blasting Operations and LitigationLexington, KY, Dec 6, 2019
- Blasting Liability: What Your Insurance Company Wants You to Know.Lexington, KY, Dec 5, 2019
- Protecting Yourself from Liability: Blasting RecordsLexington, KY, Aug 23, 2019
- Managing the Scene of an AccidentLexington, KY, Jan 2019
- Risk Management in Blasting Operations: Lessons Learned the Hard WaySan Antonio, TX, Jan 2018
- Risk Management in Blasting Operations: Lessons Learned the Hard Way, Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA)Beckley, WV, Jan 2018
- Responding to the Inevitable Blast ComplaintLexington, KY, Dec 2017
- Insurance Claims and How You Can Impact Your ExposureState College, PA, Nov 2017
- Liability Issues and PreventionMultiple Locations around the Commonwealth, 2017
- Protection from Liability: Before, During & After DetonationLouisville, KY, Mar 2017
- Protection from Liability: Before, During & After DetonationSpringfield, IL, Feb 23, 2017
- Blasting Complaints: What to Do (and NOT Do) in Response to ComplaintsLexington, KY, Dec 9, 2016
- Protection from Liability: Before, During & After DetonationIndianapolis, IN, Spring 2016
- Protection from Liability: Before, During & After DetonationLas Vegas, NV, Feb 3, 2016
- Protecting Yourself from Liability: Before, During & After the ShotBeckley, WV, Dec 2015
- Protecting Yourself from Liability: Before, During & After the ShotState College, PA, Nov 2015
- Protecting Yourself from Liability: Before, During & After the ShotMarion, IN, Aug 2015
- Protecting Yourself from Liability: Before, During & After the ShotCharleston, WV, Spring 2015
- Investigating & Defending Property Damage ClaimsCharleston, WV, Mar 2015
- Protecting Yourself from Liability: Before, During & After the ShotLexington, KY, Dec 2014
- Defending Blasting Claims—Blast RecordsState College, PA, Nov 2013
- Defending Blasting Claims—Blast RecordsLexington, KY, Dec 2012
- Defending Blasting ClaimsColumbus, OH, Mar 2011
J.D., University of Houston College of Law, 1991
B.A., University of Texas Austin, 1987
- State of Ohio, 1997
- Commonwealth of Kentucky, 1998
- State of Texas, 1991
- State of West Virginia, 2016
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit, 1993
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, 1999
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio, 1999
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio, 2016
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Kentucky, 1998
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Kentucky, 2003
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 1999
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana, 2004
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas, 1991
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas, 2003
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of West Virginia, 2017