Codie is a shareholder practicing in Reminger's Fort Wayne office. He is a tested trial attorney with years of courtroom experience, and has defended clients in general casualty, professional liability, construction liability, premises liability, personal injury, and wrongful death cases. Codie’s expertise also includes bail bond and surety law, education law, and general insurance defense.
Codie has written legal articles that have been featured in Indiana Lawyer and other publications. He has also lectured on a variety of topics including bail and surety law, premises liability, and general insurance defense matters. He is a member of the Allen County and Indiana State Bar Association. He is also an active member of the Defense Research Institute and the Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana. Additionally, Codie has volunteered his time to a number of local youth sports programs in his hometown of Auburn, Indiana.
Codie is "Rated Distinguished®" for "Very Highly Rated in Both Legal Ability and Ethical Standards" by Martindale Hubbell Peer Review.
Prior to joining Reminger, Codie practiced as a civil litigation attorney in Fort Wayne. He spent the first decade of his career as a teacher for DeKalb Central Schools.
Honors & Recognitions
Group Dekko Award for Teaching Excellence (2002 and 2005)
Fort Wayne Business Weekly’s Top 40 Under 40 (2010)
"Rated Distinguished®" for "Very Highly Rated in Both Legal Ability and Ethical Standards" by Martindale Hubbell Peer Review
Community & Professional
Defense Research Institute
Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana
Auburn Elks BPOE 1978
-Governmental Relations Chair
- Oct 1, 2020, Motion to Dismiss GrantedCass County Superior Court
Defense of premises liability personal injury claim.
- Jan 24, 2020, Directed VerdictAllen, Small claims
Arbitration defense of hospitality discrimination claim
- Dec 9, 2019, Summary JudgmentAllen County, Indiana
Successful defense of a snow removal company sued after a business invitee slipped and fell on the premises where the company was hired to provide snow removal services.
- Dec 26, 2018, Judgment AffirmedIndiana Court of Appeals
Shreeve v. Muncie Chevrolet-Cadillac, Inc.
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court dismissal of claim based on failure to prosecute.
- Sep 7, 2018, Defense VerdictHoward County, Indiana
Defense of negligence deception, and criminal conversion, alleging that the estate was entitled to punitive damages based on transfer of decedent’s funds
- Mar 29, 2018, Defendants’ Motion to Dismiss GrantedDelaware County, IN
Successfully obtained dismissal of a suit filed against client car dealership.
- Dec 8, 2017, Defendants’ Motion to Dismiss GrantedDelaware Circuit Court I
Successfully obtained dismissal of insured mental health counseling center and its counselor after it was sued for alleged unauthorized disclosure of mental health records. Court granted dismissal of the case for lack of personal jurisdiction under the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution.
- Nov 16, 2017, Defense VerdictMarion County, IN
Defense of premises liability claim
- Jun 16, 2017, Summary JudgmentDelaware County, IN
Defense of retail and hospitality personal injury claim arising from a gym member’s trip and fall over the electrical cable housing positioned in front of a row of treadmills.
- Mar 20, 2017, Summary JudgmentAllen County, Indiana
Defense of personal injury claim arising from an invitee alleging to have tripped and fallen on landscape feature of client’s business property
- Sep 20, 2016, Won on Defense Motion to DismissMarion County, IN
Defense of retail and hospitality personal injury / invasion of privacy claim arising from a third party contractor alleged to have watched business invitee while she changed clothes in dressing room
- Aug 17, 2011, Defense VerdictAllen County, Indiana
Defense of personal injury claim arising from a motorcycle-car accident requiring expert analysis and accident scene reconstruction
- Press Release, Jan 7, 2019
- Press Release, Mar 17, 2016
- Indiana Rule of Criminal Procedure 26 and its Effects on Bond Bail Agents and SuretiesIndianapolis, IN, May 15, 2019
- 2017 Indiana Bail and Recovery Agent SeminarFort Wayne, IN, Jul 19, 2017
- New Changes in Indiana’s Criminal Rule 26 and Late Surrender Fees in Bond ProceedingsFort Wayne, IN, Jul 17, 2017
- Feb 22, 2021
- Dec 22, 2020
- Sep 14, 2020
- Both High Court and Lawmakers Facing Important Decisions Regarding “Qualified Immunity” and Police Protection from Civil SuitsJun 10, 2020
- Mar 23, 2020
- Mar 16, 2020
- Indiana Law Firm’s Failure to File Tort Claim Notice Did Not Proximately Cause Its Client a Lost Opportunity to Settle with Public EntitiesJan 17, 2020
- Nov 6, 2019
- Aug 15, 2019
- Breach of Contract Claims Find No Quarter in the Language of Ohio’s Statute of Repose: R.C. § 2305.131 Applies Both Tort and Contract ClaimsAug 12, 2019
- Not All Teacher Contracts Are Equal: Municipal School Districts’ Boards of Education Granted More Autonomy Than Their Non-Municipal CounterpartsJun 26, 2019
- Ohio Appellate Court Affirms Dismissal of Claims Against School District and Its Employees for School ShootingJun 19, 2019
- Jun 18, 2019
- U.S. Supreme Court Rules That Trucking Companies Cannot Use Arbitration Clauses to Avoid Lawsuits from Independent Contractor DriversApr 10, 2019
- Mar 25, 2019
- Jan 9, 2019
- Nov 13, 2018
- Aug 13, 2018
- Indiana Court of Appeals Holds Duty to Secure Loads Rests with Party Transporting the Load and Does Not Extend to the Warehouse FacilityMay 22, 2018
- May 1, 2018
- Indiana Court of Appeals Reinstates Claims of Patron Shot at Steak ‘n Shake Because of Foreseeable Nature of ThreatMar 19, 2018
- Indiana Supreme Court Finds Negligent Hiring Claims Are Improper When Employers Admit Employee Was Acting Within Scope Of EmploymentNov 21, 2017
- Oct 23, 2017
- Objective Foreseeability: Indiana Continues to Broaden the Foreseeability Analysis in Premises Liability CasesJul 26, 2017
- The Indiana Supreme Court Finds a Non-Delegable Duty of Worksite Safety Created in Form Design-Build Contracts Between the Owner and General ContractorMay 16, 2017
- Apr 12, 2017
- Ohio State and Federal Courts Find No Standing to Assert Technical Violations of the FCRA’s Background Check Disclosure RequirementMar 20, 2017
- Minor Golf Cart Collision on Indiana Courses Considered “Ordinary Behavior” and an Inherent Risk in the Game of GolfFeb 20, 2017
- Indiana Applies Heightened Summary Judgment Standard In Determining Vicarious Liability For An Employee Driving A Provided Company VehicleFeb 13, 2017
- Indiana Court of Appeals Allows Negligent Hiring Claim Despite Admission that Employee Acted Within Scope of EmploymentJan 4, 2017
- Oct 11, 2016
- Indiana Court of Appeals Finds that Post-Accident Reports Do Not Constitute Subsequent Remedial MeasuresAug 23, 2016
- Mar 16, 2016
J.D. with Distinctions, Thomas M. Cooley Law School, 2007
B.A. in Education, Purdue University, 1999
- State of Indiana, 2008
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana, 2008
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana, 2008