After starting his career with the Ohio Industrial Commission, Ron has been serving Reminger’s diverse workers’ compensation and occupational injury clientele since 1995. In that time Ron has handled the various types of disputes involving occupational accidents and injuries. These experiences include administrative hearings, trials to verdict, appeals before the Ohio Courts of Appeal and the Ohio Supreme Court, and OSHA citations. In addition, Ron provides counsel to employers, third-party administrators and service providers concerning their risk management programs and their relationship with Ohio’s Bureau of Workers’ Compensation. These issues include coverage and classification disputes, self-insurance acquisition and compliance, and provider certification.
Ron’s experiences have allowed him to handle claims from injury reporting through trial, including taking over a case and obtaining a unanimous defense verdict reversing an award under Ohio’s pre-substantial aggravation subjective standard. Ron’s risk management work on behalf of our clients has also resulted in substantial cost savings, including one instance where he recovered $1.4 million from the Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation for overcharged premiums.
As a leader in our firm Ron is the managing partner of our Columbus office, he co-chairs our workers’ compensation practice group, and serves on the firm’s managing and executive committees. Ron has also been recognized as a specialist in workers’ compensation law by the Ohio Supreme Court and is peer rated by Martindale Hubble, Best’s and Super Lawyers.
Honors & Recognitions
AV Preeminent® Rated with Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™
Certified as a Specialist in Workers' Compensation Law by the Ohio State Bar Association
2014-present Top Lawyers Central Ohio, Columbus CEO Magazine
Recognized as a Super Lawyer by Ohio Super Lawyers Magazine
Listed in Best Lawyers in America for Workers' Compensation Law - Employers, since 2016
"Recent Developments Under Ohio's Workers' Compensation Intentional Tort Statute: Brady v. Safety-Klean Corp., 20 Cap. U. L. Rev. 1031" (Fall 1991)
"Unauthorized Practice of Law Controversy Continues in Ohio: Another Blip on the Screen, or a Wake Up Call for TPA's?", The Self-Insurer, Volume 21, July 2004
Community & Professional
Ohio State Bar Association
Columbus Bar Association
“Ron Fresco’s performance for us has been stellar from our first assignment, 15 years ago, to the present.”
- Oct 8, 2021, Application DeniedOhio Industrial Commission
Defended our client against claims of lock-out/tag-out, guarding, and e-stop regulations violations.
- Jul 2020Ohio Industrial Commission
Claimant sought VSSR award as a result of a forklift incident. The claim for additional benefits was denied after hearing, as was a motion for rehearing. No mandamus appeal.
- Nov 9, 2016, Motion For Summary Judgment GrantedFranklin
Workers’ compensation right to participate appeal by Plaintiff
- In Re: Staffing Solutions SECalculated savings in excess of $200,000.
Defense of state-fund employer from BWC decision to exclude employer from group rating based on merger and resultant experience combination.
- In Re: Manheim IncReduced amount owed to less than $50,000.
Defense of state-fund employer against BWC audit seeking $600,000.00 in back premiums based on alleged misclassification of manual payroll.
- Judgment For Employer
Prosecution of employer's right to participate appeal to additional allowance of lumbar spondylosis, aggravation of pre-existing lumbar degenerative arthritis and herniated cervical disc.
- Priest v. Honeywell Inc.Judgment For Employer
Defense of injured worker’s right to participate appeal to denial of psychological conditions.
- Geddes v. FedEx Freight East, Inc.Judgment For Employer
Prosecution of employer's right to participate appeal on additional allowance of depression.
- In Re: Behr Dayton Thermal Products, LLC
Recovery of $1.4 Million from Ohio BWC based on breach of incentive contract between employer, Ohio BWC and Ohio Department of Development.
- Gerlach v. FedEx Freight East, Inc.Judgment For Employer
Defense of employer in injured workers' right to participate appeal to denial of original allowance of claim.
- State ex rel ABF Freight System Inc. v. Industrial Commission of OhioJudgment For Employer
Prosecution of employer action in mandamus to reverse loss of use award.
- Columbus Business First, Oct 11, 2021
- Aug 19, 2021
- Jul 16, 2021
- Press Release, Dec 8, 2020
- Press Release, Aug 20, 2020
- Press Release, May 11, 2020
- Press Release, Nov 27, 2019
- Press Release, Aug 15, 2019
- Press Release, May 22, 2019
- Press Release, Dec 5, 2018
- Press Release, Aug 15, 2018
- Press Release, May 29, 2018
- Press Release, Dec 6, 2017
- Press Release, Aug 15, 2017
- The Reminger Foundation Makes $10,000 Charitable Donation to Ronald McDonald House Charities of Central OhioPress Release, Apr 3, 2017
- Press Release, Dec 2, 2016
- Press Release, Aug 15, 2016
- Part B News, May 16, 2016
- Columbus Business First, Feb 3, 2016
- Press Release, Dec 2, 2015
- Press Release, Aug 17, 2015
- Press Release, Dec 3, 2014
- Press Release, Dec 5, 2013
- Press Release, Dec 17, 2012
- Press Release, Dec 16, 2011
- Webinar, Dec 4, 2020
- Defense Strategies in the Workplace with Medical MarijuanaLisle, IL, Mar 6, 2019
- Occupational Safety and Workers’ Compensation Risk ManagementChicago, IL, Mar 18, 2018
- The Ins and Outs of Ohio BWC 3rd Level AuditGoodlettsville, TN, May 9, 2017
- How to Defend Against Substantial Aggravation Cases and Concussion/Post-Concussion CasesDublin, OH, Sep 26, 2016
- Practical Application of the Concussion Syndrome Injury in the Workers’ Comp. ContextDublin, OH, Sep 26, 2016
- Substantial Aggravation in Workers’ Comp InjuriesComp Management Inc., Columbus, OH, Mar 8, 2016
- Substantial Aggravation in Workers’ Comp InjuriesSedgwick CMS, Dublin, OH, Feb 29, 2016
- Updates on Ohio Workers’ Compensation LawSedgwick CMS In-House Workshop, Hilliard, OH, Feb 15, 2016
- Primer for Ohio Workers’ Compensation Claim HandlingDollar General Corporate Headquarters, Goodlettsville, TN, Aug 19, 2014
- Claims Handling Strategies and A Self Insured Employer Audit Summary in OhioMacy’s Corporate Risk Management Dept. - Cincinnati, OH, May 2, 2012
- Best Practices for Workers’ Comp. Claim Handler and Outside CounselCareWorks Consultants and Gallagher Bassett Claim Departments - Columbus, OH, Oct 14, 2011
- Wage Loss and Living Maintenance Wage Loss in Workers’ CompensationCareWorks Consultants, Inc. - Dublin, OH, Aug 3, 2011
- Workers' Compensation Client Eblast, Mar 20, 2020
- Published case: State Ex. Rel. Lacroix v. Industrial Commission 144 Ohio St. 3d 17, 2015-Ohio-2313, Dec 15, 2015
- When a Herniated Disc is not a Herniated Disc: Ohio’s Continuing Jurisdiction in the Post-Surgical WorldMay 20, 2020
- Feb 4, 2020
- Jun 26, 2018
- Mar 9, 2016
- May 26, 2015
- Ohio BWC Settles Premium Class Action Dispute: Ohio Businesses to Submit Refund Claim Forms by October 22, 2014Oct 9, 2014
- Sep 28, 2008
B.A., The Ohio State University, 1989
J.D., Capital University Law School, 1992; Law Review Business Editor, 1991-92
- State of Ohio, 1992
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio, 1993