Shelby is a Shareholder practicing in the area of Workers' Compensation. Her litigation practice focuses on the defense of claims against state funded and self-insured employers. Shelby has served as lead counsel in numerous cases in the Courts of Common Pleas in Hamilton, Montgomery, Warren, Butler and Clermont Counties in Ohio.
Shelby represents nationally known trucking companies, retailers, hotel establishments, and food manufacturers. Shelby also works with smaller, state-funded clients to keep their claim costs low, and to successfully resolve their disputes through either trial or settlement. Shelby collaborates with her clients to make sure that they feel actively involved in the litigation and resolution of their case. Shelby has participated in many mediations which were resolved in her clients' favor. Shelby also presents teaching seminars on specific Workers' Compensation issues to multiple clients and to claim adjusters.
Described by her peers as aggressive, tenacious, and fair, Shelby also has a unique advantage with respect to claims management as she started her career on the other side of the courtroom as a representative for injured workers. This special perspective provides Shelby with valuable insight as she counsels her clients, enabling her to both anticipate and defend the varying aspects of a workers' compensation claim.
Shelby has been recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers Magazine as a "Super Lawyer," an honor bestowed upon less than 2.5% of lawyers in the State of Ohio. Shelby has also served as an adjunct professor at her alma mater, The University of Dayton School of Law.
In the case of State ex rel. Lapp Roofing & Sheet Metal Co., Inc. v. Indus. Comm. The Supreme Court of Ohio reaffirmed their prior holding that in order to perfect an appeal under 4123.511 a party must substantially comply with the following four requirements: (1)the claimant and employer names, (2) the claim number, (3)the date of the decision appealed from, and (4)the fact that the appellant appeals therefrom. The Supreme Court of Ohio held that absolute compliance is not necessary, rather, if a party substantially complies with the provisions of 4123.511, that will be sufficient to perfect the appeal. State ex rel. Lapp Roofing & Sheet Metal Co., Inc. v. Indus. Comm.,117 Ohio St.3d 179, 2008-Ohio-850
Obtained defense victory against an alleged Loss of Use of Arm, saving the client $144,000.
Obtained defense victory in multiple Asbestosis Death claim, saving clients from paying hundreds of thousands of dollars in death benefits.
Routinely obtained favorable Handicap Reimbursements.
Successfully mediated multiple cases.
Gave presentations to clients in order to help them handle claims in more efficient and cost-effective ways.
Gave presentations to colleagues on topics of interest to workers’ compensation attorneys, including relevant case law updates.
Honors & Recognitions
Graduate of the Ohio Women's Leadership Institute, Class of 2014
Recognized as a Rising Star and as a Super Lawyer by Ohio Super Lawyers Magazine
Environmental Law Moot Court Team, 1996
Community & Professional
Ohio State Bar Association
Kentucky Bar Association
Cincinnati Bar Association
Northern Kentucky Bar Association
Ohio Women's Bar Foundation
Ohio Women's Bar Association
University of Dayton School of Law, Legal Profession III, 2000
- Apr 2017, Defeated MotionOhio Industrial Commission
Successfully defeated a motion requesting a total loss of use of the claimant’s left arm, saving the Self-Insured Employer $191,025.
- Aug 2015, Application for death benefits filed by a surviving widowOhio Industrial Commission
Successfully defeated a widow’s application for death benefits alleging death due to asbestos exposure saving the Self-Insured employer approximately $200,000.
- Nov 23, 2010, Defense VerdictWarren
Plaintiff alleged 1996 injury aggravated pre-existing lumbar Degenerative Disc Disease
- Jun 14, 2010, DeniedOhio Industrial Commission
Claimant's motion for Scheduled Loss of 90% Loss of Vision DENIED.
- Jul 29, 2008, DeniedIndustrial Commission of Ohio
Claimant's Application for Permanent Total Disability benefits DENIED.
- Mar 5, 2008, AffirmedSupreme Court of Ohio
The State ex rel Lapp Roofing & Sheet Metal Company, Inc., v. Kevin Carter
Defense of workers' compensation claim involving establishing the sufficiency of Notice of Appeal filed by unrepresented employer.
- Ohio Women's Bar Association Network Newsletter-Spring 2016, May 9, 2016
- Press Release, Dec 2, 2015
- Press Release, Dec 3, 2014
- Press Release, Dec 5, 2013
- Press Release, Sep 27, 2013
- Press Release, Dec 16, 2011
- Cincinnati, OH, Sep 24, 2016
- Case Law UpdateColumbus, OH, Sep 21, 2016
- OSIA Conference-SponsorCincinnati, Jun 18, 2014
- The Issues of Course and Scope in the Allowability of a Workers’ Comp. ClaimCareWorks Consultants and Gallagher Bassett Claim Departments - Columbus, OH, Oct 13, 2011
- Overview of Workers' Compensation and Claim Investigation, Dollar General-Sedgwick-Attys and Claim Administrators MeetingColumbus, Ohio, Oct 6, 2008
- Fall 2010 Newsletter, Oct 14, 2010
- Development and Trends in Wage Loss Compensation for Ohio WorkersOct 14, 2010
- Mar 5, 2019
- Jun 26, 2018
- Ohio Supreme Court Decision on Workers' Compensation Subrogation is Favorable for Self-Insured Employers but Creates Potential Problems for Insurance CarriersJun 6, 2018
- Ohio Supreme Court Clarifies What Is and What Is Not Appealable to the Court of Common Pleas in Workers’ Compensation ClaimsSep 19, 2017
- Kentucky’s Department of Workers’ Claims Enacts New Regulations Governing The Handling of Workers’ Compensation ClaimsNov 7, 2016
- Jun 13, 2016
- Nov 4, 2014
- Deposition Testimony in Underlying Products Liability Action Inadmissible in Workers’ Compensation ClaimOct 6, 2014
- Ohio Supreme Court Reaffirms 'Substantial Compliance' Standard When Evaluating The Sufficiency Of Administrative AppealsMay 29, 2008
- Mar 25, 2008
- Law Clerk to the Honorable John Kessler, former Chief Judge of the Montgomery County Court of Common Pleas
J.D., University of Dayton, 1997
University of Dayton School of Law Champion
Walter Rice Moot Court Competition, November 1995
B.S., East Tennessee State University, magna cum laude, 1994
Recipient, East Tennessee State University Department of Political Science Outstanding Student, 1993-1994
Dean's List 11 Semesters
- State of Ohio, 1997
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio, 1997
- Commonwealth of Kentucky, 2005