J.D., Case Western Reserve University, 1982
B.A., Macalester College, 1979
- State of Ohio, 1982
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio, 1984
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1990
My inspiration as an attorney comes from my grandfather, an old school solo practitioner who treated his clients and adversaries with the utmost professionalism and respect.
Before joining Reminger in 1980 as a law clerk, Rick earned an economics degree and worked at a major accounting firm. He leveraged his business experience in building a practice devoted to the defense of both medical and non-medical professionals. Rick has tried more than 100 first chair jury trials and has focused his practice on litigation involving:
- Medical and Dental Liability
- Commercial Liability
- Professional Liability
- General Liability
In addition, Rick devotes substantial efforts to advising businesses and healthcare professionals on a wide variety of issues. He is a regular speaker not only at risk management programs for physicians, dentists and allied health professionals, but also at the Case School of Dental Medicine, where he serves as Assistant Professor.
Rick is a member of the Grace Hospital Board of Directors. Within the firm, Rick serves as the Co-Chair of the Dental Liability practice group. An officer of the corporation, he also is on Reminger's Executive, Management and Marketing Committees, and the Board of Directors. Rick played a significant role in establishing the Reminger Foundation, a 501(C)(3) charity which supports worthwhile causes in the communities where Reminger employees and clients live and work. He offers his ongoing guidance to the rotating Board of Directors of the Reminger Foundation charity.
Honors & Recognitions
Ohio Legal Center Institute Award of Merit
OMSNIC Continuing Excellence Award-2008, 2010, 2012
Rated Distinguished by Martindale-Hubbell, widely respected by peers for high professional achievement and ethical standards
Recognized as a Super Lawyer by Ohio Super Lawyers Magazine
Professional Memberships & Community Affiliations
American Bar Association
Ohio State Bar Association
Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
-Fee Dispute Resolution Committee
Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Arbitration Chairman
William J. Thomas Inn of Court
Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
Assistant Professor Case School of Dental Medicine-1997 to Present
Member, Grace Hospital Board of Directors-2009 to Present
Delegate, Eighth Judicial Conference-Life Member
Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Foundation-Fellow
“From my perspective, Rick has given a whole new definition to ‘creative.’ Naturally, we are delighted with the outcome, recognizing that this was an extremely difficulty case for all of us. Thanks again for your excellent work.”
-Charles, President and CEO
“I can’t thank Rick enough for the massive amount of work he did on the assessment of the ADA Practice Guidelines. I shared his concerns with them and he knocked their socks off.”
-Kathleen, Assistant Vice President-Risk Management
“I want to convey my utmost thanks in Rick’s handling of my case. His disposal in this matter was excellent beyond mention. I appreciate his professionalism and courteous manner.”
“I can’t begin the tell you how relieved I am and to thank Rick for his expertise in dealing with my problem. His sympathy and understanding helped me survive this traumatic experience.”
“Richard Rymond can understand proper care better than a ‘good’ dentist. He is a very talented attorney.”
“I would like to personally thank Rick for the way my case was handled. Especially, how timely everything was expedited and the excellent advice he offered. I have the highest confidence in Rick’s decisions.”
"I wanted to thank you again for the amazing job you've done with my case. Thank you not just for being an amazing attorney, but for having a big heart. You've put in way more than expected for this case, I am so overwhelmed still."
"I appreciate your expertise and knowledge in handling my case before the magistrate. You called it and made it happen."
- Plaintiff v. Prosthodontist DefendantMarch 30, 2018, Defense VerdictCuyahoga
Defense of dental malpractice claim against prosthodontist alleging chronic pain from implants and ill-fitting overdentures.
- Plaintiff v. Orthodontist DefendantOctober 10, 2013, Defense VerdictCuyahoga
Defense of dental malpractice case involving allegations of damaged enamel secondary to prolonged orthodontic care.
- Dept. of Health and Human Services v. J. Doe, D.D.S.September 24, 2013, No Action TakenCuyahoga
Defense of DHHS investigation of alleged HIPAA privacy violations
- Plaintiff v. General Dentist DefendantMay 10, 2012, Appeal DismissedOhio Supreme Court
Ohio Supreme Court dismissed appeal of judgment favoring defendants in case involving alleged failure to diagnose oral cancer.
- March 19, 2012, Judgment Affirmed11th Appellate Dist
Plaintiff's unsuccessful appeal of trial court judgment in favor of defendants dentists in case involving alleged failure to diagnose oral cancer.
- Plaintiff v. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon DefendantOctober 28, 2011, Defense VerdictCuyahoga
Defense verdict in favor of oral and maxillofacial surgeon involving infection and osteomyelitis following routine extracting.
- Plaintiff v. ENT DefendantJune 24, 2011, Directed VerdictCuyahoga
Defense verdict in favor of ENT and employer arising out of facelift procedure with alleged cosmetic deformity.
- Plaintiff v. General Dentist DefendantJanuary 21, 2011, Defense VerdictCuyahoga
Defense of dental malpractice claim involving alleged development of malocclusion and TMJ following cosmetic restoration.
- Plaintiff v. Oral Surgeon DefendantNovember 21, 2008, Defense VerdictCuyahoga
Defense verdict for oral surgeon involving allegations of fractured jaw arising out of extraction.
- Plaintiff v. Oral Surgeon DefendantAugust 16, 2007, Defense VerdictLyndhurst Muni Ct.
Defense verdict in favor of oral surgeon involving nerve injury following routine extraction.
- Plaintiff v. General Dentist DefendantMay 2, 2007, Defense VerdictErie
Defense of dental malpractice claim involving failed root canal procedure.
- Supporting minorities important part of workplace cultureApril 24, 2019
- Press Release, December 5, 2018
- Press Release, December 6, 2017
- Press Release, December 2, 2016
- Press Release, December 2, 2015
- Press Release, December 3, 2014
- Selection Includes 30 Super Lawyers and 16 Rising Stars Across Ohio and KentuckyPress Release, December 5, 2013
- Crain's Cleveland Business, February 4, 2013
- Press Release, December 17, 2012
- Press Release, December 16, 2011
- The Basics of Dental Malpractice Law and Risk ManagementCase Western Reserve University Dental School, Cleveland, OH, October 17, 2019
- Dental Malpractice Common ClaimsCase Western Reserve School of Dental Medicine, Cleveland, OH, October 25, 2018
- Anesthesia Safety Program Close Claims and Near Misses2018 AAOMS National Conference, Chicago, IL, October 13, 2018
- The Basics of Orthodontic Malpractice and Risk Management ConsiderationsOhio State University Orthodontics School, Columbus, OH, August 31, 2018
- Dental Student Risk Management ProgramCase Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine, Cleveland, OH, January 22, 2018
- Ethical Considerations Associated with the Mediation ProcessCase Western Reserve University School of Law, Cleveland, OH, March 9, 2017
- Frequent Complications Associated with Implant Dentistry Leading to Malpractice ClaimsAmerican College of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons Fifth Annual Residents Meeting, University of Cincinnati Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH, November 12, 2016
- Dentistry and the Law, Risk Management Practices for DentistsCase Western Reserve University School of Dentistry, Cleveland, OH, October 27, 2016
- Dentistry and the Law, Risk Management, and Malpractice TrendsGreenbrier Dental Study Club, Airport Marriott, February 9, 2016
- Risk Management-Ohio Academy of Interdisciplinary Dentofacial TherapyOhio Academy of Interdisciplinary Dentofacial Therapy, Cleveland, OH, November 12, 2014
- Greater Cleveland Dental Society, Shula's 2 Steak & Sports, September 8, 2014
- Risk ManagementGreater Cleveland Dental Society - Cleveland, OH, September 8, 2014
- Morbidity and Mortality Session on Implant Problems and ComplicationsAmerican Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons Annual Conference - Chicago, IL, December 5, 2013
- 'Final Rule' of HIPAAComprehensive Dental Excellence Forum - Cleveland, OH, September 11, 2013
- Risk Management for the Oral and Maxillofacial SurgeonUniversity of Cincinnati Medical School - Cincinnati, OH, June 26, 2013
- Litigation Basics and Trial TacticsOhio State Bar Association CLE Seminar - Cleveland, OH, October 18, 2012
- Selecting Experts in Dental Malpractice ClaimsFortress Insurance Defense Counsel Seminar - Chicago, IL, July 12, 2012
- Dental Risk Management: Recent Legal Developments and TrendsNortheast Ohio Dental Study Club - Cleveland, OH, April 10, 2012
- Legal Considerations in the Practice of Dentistry and Risk Management Best PracticesCase Western Reserve University School of Dentistry - Cleveland, OH, November 10, 2011
- Trial Objections: Using the Rules of Evidence to Your AdvantageOhio State Bar Association Litigation Basics CLE seminar - Cleveland, OH, October 20, 2011
- Anatomy of a Malpractice Case and Risk Management for Dentists - CWRU School of Dental Medicine – Senior ClassCleveland, OH, November 11, 2010
- Risk Management Practices for Dentists - Alpha Omega Dental FraternityCleveland, OH, October 27, 2010
- Trial Objections: Using the Rules of Evidence to Your AdvantageOhio State Bar Association, Litigation Basics CLE Seminar - Cleveland, OH, October 13, 2010
- The Topic of Informed Consent in Dental TreatmentNovember 16, 2009
- Trial ObjectionOctober 14, 2009
- Handling Objections at Trial, Ohio State Bar Association Attorney CLE CourseCleveland, Ohio, October 15, 2008
- Risk Management for Dentists, Medina County Dental SocietyMedina, Ohio, February 18, 2008
- Risk Management, Legal Principles & Case Study Fundamentals for the New Dentist, Case Western Reserve School of DentistryCleveland, Ohio, October 25, 2007
- Litigation Basics 2007-Trial Objections, Ohio State Bar Association CLE SeminarCleveland, Ohio, October 11, 2007
- Best Practices in Dental Risk Management, Northwest Ohio Association of DentistsSandusky, OH, July 17, 2007
- Risk Management for Oral Surgeons, OMSNIC Oral Surgeons ConferenceSandusky, OH, July 3, 2007
- Medical Tort Reform in Ohio: Will it Hold This TIme?, Northeast Ohio Alliance of Physicians & Professional Liability Insurance UnderwritersCleveland, Ohio, April 18, 2007
- Healthcare Matters Blog, January 12, 2017
- Journal of Alpha Omega International Dental Fraternity, Winter/2015-2016, April 22, 2016
- Ohio Medicine - Journal of the Ohio State Medical Association, April 13, 2016
- Northern Ohio Physician Magazine - November/December 2012 Issue, November 7, 2012
- 'Dental Implants The Art and Science', Chapter 4Dental Risk Management, Copyright 2011, Saunders | Elsevier , 2011
- Greater Cleveland Dental Society Bulletin, Spring 2011, April 27, 2011
- 'Dental Risk Management,' Textbook Chapter in Dental ImplantsThe Art and Science, March 2010
- Ohio Law Governing Police Requests for Blood SamplesOhio Lawyer, July 1998
- Court Order Not Necessary for DUI's Blood SampleOhio Medicine, January 1998
- The Professional Judgment Rule: Responsibilities of Therapists to Protect the Public from Known Violent Propensities of PatientsOhio Psychiatric Association: Insight Matters, August 1996