Randy joined Reminger as a partner in 2017 and practices out of the firm’s Toledo office, handling matters throughout Ohio and beyond. His practice is focused primarily on defense of medical and professional negligence cases, including long-term care facilities, hospitals, doctors, and nurses. Randy is a member of Reminger’s Medical Malpractice, Long-Term Care Liability, Legal Malpractice, D&O and Employment Practices Liability practice groups, and also assists clients involved in complex litigation and family law matters.
Randy previously served as an Assistant to the Ohio Attorney General in the Environmental Enforcement Section and was a partner of a northwest Ohio firm where he had a local and multi-state practice defending long-term care operators and the rail industry. While in law school, Randy served the late Honorable J. Ronald Bowman in the Lucas County, Ohio, Court of Common Pleas, which provided him the unique experience of seeing matters from the perspective of a trial court judge.
Community & Professional
Ohio State Bar Association
State Bar of Michigan
The West Virginia State Bar
State Bar of Texas
Toledo Bar Association
- Toledo Bar Association Grievance Committee
- Toledo Bar Association Pro Bono Board
Long-term care industry and practice groups
- Dec 11, 2019, Favorable OutcomeWood County
Representation of father of deceased at contested hearing regarding allocation and distribution of $1.5M proceeds of settlement of medical malpractice action alleging survivorship and wrongful death claims.
- Nov 8, 2018, Favorable OutcomeCourt of Appeals of Ohio, Fourth District, Gallia Count
Alford v. Arbors at Gallipolis
Nursing Home Arbitration Agreement enforced by trial court and affirmed on appeal where the Court found the daughter, who was not the patient’s power-of-attorney, had apparent authority to sign contract for her father.
- Oct 3, 2017, Motion to Dismiss GrantedLucas
Defense of long term care wrongful death claim
- Feb 14, 2017, Favorable Outcome2nd Dist. Ct. of Appeals
Heartland of Portsmouth OH, LLC v. McHugh Fuller Law Group, PLLC
Successful appeal of trial court order dismissing suit for injunctive relief as moot. Action for permanent injunctive relief arose from false and misleading content of print advertisement run by out-of-state law firm against local nursing home.
- Press Release, Sep 15, 2017
- Discovery Complexities, Ownership Structures, and Nursing Home Defense MattersDetroit, MI, Jan 23, 2019
- Sixth Circuit Holds That Ohio’s Affidavit of Merit Requirement Does Not Apply To Medical Claims Filed In Federal CourtDec 3, 2019
- Keeping the Gatekeeper at the Gate: Overcoming the 10th District’s Recent Decision that Could Remove the Teeth from Rule 10(D)(2)’s Affidavit of Merit RequirementNov 29, 2018
- Nov 15, 2018
- Mar 26, 2018
- Jan 29, 2018
- Sep 13, 2017
J.D., University of Toledo College of Law, 1998
B.S., Ohio University,1995
- State of Ohio, 1999
- State of Michigan, 2005
- State of Texas, 2010
- State of West Virginia, 2013
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of West Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit