- Judicial Externship for the Honorable Patrick L. McCarty, Marion County Civil Division DO3
J.D., Indiana University School of Law, 2007
B.A., Northern Michigan University, cum laude, 2004
- State of Indiana, 2007
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana, 2007
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana, 2007
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit, 2010
My father taught me from a very young age that success is achieved by doing whatever it takes to obtain it. Today, as a lawyer, I use this early guidance to remind myself of the unwavering commitment my clients deserve. Clients expect results and I strive to obtain the best possible.
A shareholder in Reminger Co., LPA's Indianapolis office, Nick has more than a decade of litigation experience representing defendants in complex civil litigation. Nick has a broad legal practice that encompasses professional liability and licensing, including legal, dental, and medical malpractice defense, employment, product liability, municipal defense, trucking liability defense, and appellate practice. He has managed all phases of a variety of complex litigation in both State and Federal Court. Nick possesses extensive trial experience, having tried cases involving several medical disciplines as well as general liability and transportation risks. Prior to joining Reminger, Nick was a partner in a Northwest Indiana litigation firm.
Nick is known for his unwavering commitment to his clients and passionate representation. As a Green Bay, Wisconsin native, he truly believes that “the price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand.
Honors & Recognitions
Recognized as a Rising Star by Indiana Super Lawyers Magazine from 2014 to present.
Professional Memberships & Community Affiliations
Indiana Bar Association
Indianapolis Bar Association
Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana
Defense Research Institute
Indiana Society for Healthcare Risk Management
Litigation Counsel of America
Successfully defended a demanded $16,000,000 invasion of privacy case on behalf of a pharmacy through dismissal and appeal.
Successfully obtained a dismissal in a multi-million-dollar construction accident case without payment.
Successfully defended through dismissal and appeal a demanded $800,000 loss by a developer against an economic development commission and its directors and officers.
Successfully defended without payment an alleged legal malpractice claim involving the preparation of a $5,000,000 stock purchase agreement.
Obtained seven favorable rulings by medical review panels involving a variety of medical specialties, including orthopedics, infectious disease, emergency medicine, nursing, and hospitalist care.
Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a real estate agent for alleged fraud.
Obtained summary judgment for a hospital because of an injury to a restrained patient.
Represented a dentist before the Dental Licensing Board without further investigation.
Obtained summary judgment on behalf of an orthopedic surgeon involving shoulder surgery.
Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a bank for a slip-and-fall that occurred at a property they had foreclosed upon.
Successfully obtained dismissal of an insurance agent malpractice case without payment.
Resolved a demanded $8,000,000 child-wrongful death and adult injury claim for a major automotive dealer within 15 months of filing and for less than six-figures.
Resolved a demanded $10,000,000 catastrophic adult TBI injury case for a national construction company within 16 months of the case being transferred from another law firm and within the primary coverage amount.
Resolved a demanded $8,000,000 trucking accident case for a national carrier involving three minor children for nearly $1,000,000 less than the pre-suit settlement authority.
Obtained dismissal of a child-wrongful death case for a hospital within 90 days of assignment.
Obtained directed verdict for a hospital and pediatrician in a malpractice case alleging blindness, cerebral palsy and other injuries due to hyperbilirubinemia after eight days of trial.
Obtained dismissal without payment on three different insurance agent malpractice cases.
Resolved a demanded $10,000,000 catastrophic multi-vehicle collision for a trucking company within policy limits.
Obtained a dismissal without payment of a faucet product liability case after filing summary judgment.
Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a long-term care facility for a slip and fall by a patient’s guest.
Represented an OB/GYN before the Medical Licensing Board without further investigation.
- Marigold Overshiner and Earl Overshiner, Individually and as Parents and Guardians of their Minor Daughter, Kaitlyn Overshiner, and Kaitlyn Overshiner, v. Hendricks Regional Health and Ian Johnston, M.D.February 21, 2019, Directed Verdict AffirmedIndiana Court of Appeals
Indiana Court of Appeals affirmed judgment in favor of the defendant hospital and physician following a jury trial alleging blindness to an infant.
- Marigold Overshiner, as parent and best friend of Kaitlyn Overshiner , et al. v. Hendricks Regional Health, et al.December 6, 2017, Directed verdict for the defendantsPutnam County Circuit Court
Medical malpractice case alleging blindness, cerebral palsy and other injuries due to hyperbilirubinemia.
- Virginia Rudolph, et al. v. James J. Goodpaster, D.M.D., et al.November 18, 2016, Plaintiff VerdictMonroe County
Dental malpractice case alleging a dislocated jaw during tooth extractions
- Indiana Attorney General v. Anonymous Orthopedic PracticeJanuary 6, 2016, Complaint dismissedState of Indiana
Defense of Orthopedic Practice by medical board investigation for failure to provide emergency orthopedic care
- Charity Marie Golden vs. S. Khan, M.D., et al.December 23, 2015, Complaint dismissedMarion County, IN
Defense of alleged negligent psychiatric care case
- Jovanka Kecman v. G. Kumar, M.D., et al.November 2, 2015, Complaint dismissedPorter County, IN
Defense of medical malpractice case involving multiple hospital falls
- James A. Martin v. Scientific Games CorporationsSeptember 28, 2015, Complaint dismissedShelby County, IN
Defense of product liability claim
- Ida B. Coleman vs. Webb HyundaiAugust 11, 2015, Complaint dismissedLake County, Indiana
Defense of negligent servicing claim
- Beryle George v. M. Heit, M.D., et al.July 29, 2015, Motion For Summary Judgment GrantedMarion County, IN
Defense of medical malpractice claim alleging urethral tear during cystoscopy.
- Randall W. Crowe and Teresa S. Crowe v. S. Ward, M.D., et al.July 13, 2015, Motion to Dismiss GrantedHendricks County, Indiana
Defense of medical malpractice case involving alleged traumatic brain injury as a result of an anaphylactic reaction during a colonoscopy.
- Estate of Caiden Carroll v. W. Moore, M.D., et al.February 24, 2015, Motion For Summary Judgment GrantedGrant County, Indiana
Defense of medical malpractice wrongful death case involving stillborn infant during caesarian delivery.
- J. Muzella v. T. Gossweiler, DDS, et al.February 13, 2015, Finding For DefendantHamilton Cty., IN
Arbitration defense of dental liability.
- Paul Lefebvre, v. Defendant Hospital, et al.November 2014, Settled the week before trial for 20% of initial demandPutnam County Superior Court, Greencastle, Indiana
Plaintiff alleged hospital negligently failed to have a policy or procedure for treating patients with acute chest pain causing plaintiff to have a myocardial infarction while awaiting transfer to another hospital
- Melody & George Spaulding, v. Defendant Internist, et al.October 2014, Defense Verdict (6 Day Trial)Fulton County Circuit Court Rochester, Indiana
Plaintiff alleged family practice physician negligently prescribed Augmentin to a patient with a penicillin allergy allegedly causing hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy and short-term memory loss. Jury Demand: $800,000.
- Judith Cooley v. Defendant Neurosurgeon, et al.November 2013, Defense Verdict (8 Day trial)Lake Superior Court Crown Point, Indiana
Plaintiff alleged neurosurgeon negligently performed a cervical discectomy and posterior laminectomy causing permanent paralysis and eventual leg amputation. Jury Demand: $2,500,000.
- Svetlana Kuzmanovic v. Defendant EndodontistFebruary 2013, Defense VerdictLake County Superior Court Crown Point, Indiana
Plaintiff alleged endodontist negligently drilled hole in the incorrect tooth causing damage to a pre-existing bridge and requiring significant reconstruction.
- Cheri Westra v. Defendant Maxillofacial ProstodontistSeptember 2012, Defense VerdictPorter County Superior Court Valparaiso, Indiana
Plaintiff alleged prostodontist negligently created her dentures and refused to refund her money.
- Rendina v. Defendant Endocrinologist, et al.August 2012, Motion For Summary Judgment GrantedLake Superior Court East Chicago, Indiana
Defense of endocrinology practice for a prescription error
- Julianna Bodner v. Defendant Law Firm, et al.April 2012, Motion For Summary Judgment GrantedLake County Superior Court Gary, Indiana
Defense of legal malpractice claim for failing to timely file a complaint arising out of an automobile collision, causing property damage and bodily injury
- Alice Cruz v. Defendant Orthopedic Surgeon, et al.November 2011, Plaintiff VerdictLake County Superior Court Gary, Indiana
Plaintiff alleged defendant orthopaedic practice’s x-ray technologist breached the standard of care in her assessment of patient who fell during a standing x-ray and suffered catastrophic injuries.
- Carr Development Group, LLC v. Defendant Law Firm, et al.September 2011, Motion For Summary Judgment GrantedKosciusko Superior Court Warsaw, Indiana
Defense of legal malpractice claim for failing to obtain approval of a sewer cost-recapture agreement, causing $300,000 in damages
- Sandra Shrader v. Defendant Urologist, et al.May 28, 2011, Settled during trial for 20% of initial demandLake County Superior Court Crown Point, Indiana
Plaintiff alleged defendant urologist breached the standard of care during a kidney stone removal procedure that resulted in a perforated ureter.
- Joseph Brewster v. Defendant Law Firm, et al.April 2011, Motion to Dismiss GrantedMadison County Superior Court Anderson, Indiana
Defense of legal malpractice claim for failing to properly represent plaintiff in an estate, trust, real property and lease matter
- Lorenzo Borders v. Defendant Judge, et al.March 2011, Denial of TransferIndiana Supreme Court
Defense of legal malpractice and false arrest/false imprisonment claim dismissed and ruled frivolous by the trial court. The plaintiff appealed, and on June 16, 2010, the Indiana Court of Appeals affirmed the dismissal, including the trial court’s findings that the complaint was frivolous. The Indiana Supreme Court then denied transfer on March 29, 2011.
- Patricia Dixon-Darden v. Municipal Corporation, et al.February 2011, Settled Friday before trial for less than 1% of initial demandLake County Superior Court, East Chicago, Indiana
Plaintiff alleged the defendants negligently maintained a sidewalk causing her to fall and suffer significant injuries.
- Gateway Arthur d/b/a The Village Shopping Center v. Utility CompanyJanuary 2011, Settled the day before trial. Gateway assumed cost of installing new conduit and electrical fixturesLake County Superior Court Gary, Indiana
Plaintiff alleged utility company was responsible for interruption in service and cost to install new conduit and other electrical fixtures for utility service at The Village Shopping Center.
- Sandra Bruce v. Defendant Internist, et al.January 2011, Motion For Summary Judgment GrantedLake County Superior Court Gary, Indiana
Defense of medical malpractice claim for alleged prescription caused death
- Indiana Disciplinary Commission v. Defendant AttorneyJanuary 2011, Attorney Grievance DismissedIndiana Disciplinary Commission
Defense of grievance for alleged improper distribution of an estate.
- Indiana Disciplinary Commission v. Defendant AttorneyOctober 16, 2010, Attorney Grievance DismissedIndiana Disciplinary Commission
Defense of grievance filed for alleged failure to comply with the applicable rules of professional conduct.
- Nancy Spebar v. Defendant Municipal Corporation, et al.July 2010, Summary Judgment GrantedUnited States District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
Defense of federal claim against City and police officer for alleged authorized entry into a home without a warrant in search of a missing boy; and for injuries to the plaintiff.
- Attorney General/Indiana Professional Licensing Agency v. Defendant NeonatologistJuly 2010, Licensing Complaint Dismissed
Defense of licensing complaint filed by agency for failure to report settlement.
- William Martin v. Defendant Radiologist, et al.July 2010, Summary Judgment GrantedLaPorte Superior Court LaPorte, Indiana
Defense of medical malpractice claim for alleged failure to diagnose pancreatic cancer.
- Medical Group v. Robert Cornwell, M.D.June 2010, Judgment for Medical GroupLake Superior Court Hammond, Indiana
Prosecution of a breach of contract claim on behalf of a medical group against former employee after he breached his employment contract, in part by using the group’s funds for personal expenditures.
- James Sumrall v. Defendant DentistDecember 2009, Defense VerdictLake County Superior Court Crown Point, Indiana
Plaintiff alleged that defendant dentist breached the standard of care during his restorations of carious lesions.
- Frances Pantano v. Defendant Neurologist, et al.October 2009, Dismissed at pre-trial conferenceLake County Superior Court Crown Point, Indiana
Plaintiff alleged neurologist breached the standard of care during her treatment.
- Scott and Rhonda Smith v. Defendant DentistMay 2009, Defense VerdictLake County Superior Court Crown Point, Indiana
Plaintiff alleged dentist breached the standard of care during his dental treatment of the plaintiffs.
- Sarah Smith-Olson v. Defendant OrthodontistJanuary 28, 2009, Defense VerdictLake County Superior Court Crown Point, Indiana
Plaintiff alleged that defendant Orthodontist breached the standard of care by leaving a deciduous tooth in place.
- Rhonda, Arden and Steven Smith v. Defendant DentistJanuary 2009, Defense VerdictLake County Superior Court Crown Point, Indiana
Plaintiff alleged that defendant dentist breached the standard of care during his dental treatment of the plaintiffs.
- Connie Powell v. Defendant Family Practice Physician, et al.January 2009, Defense VerdictLake County Superior Court Crown Point, Indiana
Plaintiff alleged that the defendants breached the standard of care in treating her fractured left arm.
- Thomas Dykiel v. Defendant Plastic Surgeon, et al.January 2009, Dismissed at trialLake County Superior Court Crown Point, Indiana
Plaintiff alleged that plastic surgeon wrongfully withheld a patient’s insurance funds.
- Barbara Pettenio v. Defendant GastroenterologistAugust 28, 2008, Defense VerdictLake County Superior Court Crown Point, Indiana
Plaintiff alleged that defendant gastroenterologist breached the standard of care in failing to appropriately perform an endoscopy.
- Press Release, March 19, 2019
- Press Release, January 31, 2019
- February 20, 2018
- Press Release, February 16, 2017
- AMBestTV, October 29, 2016
- Logan C. Hughes and Nicholas G. Brunette Selected as 2016 “Rising Stars” by Indiana Super Lawyers MagazinePress Release, February 12, 2016
- Press Release, September 30, 2015
- Press Release, February 13, 2015
- Press Release, February 2, 2015
- Press Release, January 19, 2015
- A Guide for Investigating, Evaluating and Negotiating ClaimsChurch Mutual Insurance Company, Merrill, WI, June 21, 2018
- Nuances in the Application of Common Premises Liability Rules by Ohio, Indiana, KentuckyCommunity Association Underwriters of America, Newtown, PA, August 11, 2017
- Catastrophic Damages in a Depressed EconomyDefense Research Institute Annual Meeting, Boston, MA, November 2, 2016
- Indiana Wrongful Death NuancesZurich Major Case Unit, Schaumburg, IL, December 4, 2015
- Wrongful Death TrinityZurich North America, Schaumburg, IL, December 4, 2015
- Objective Foreseeability: Indiana Continues to Broaden the Foreseeability Analysis in Premises Liability CasesBy Houston A. Hum and Nicholas G. BrunetteJuly 26, 2017