Melvin is a shareholder in the Columbus office of Reminger Co., LPA, focusing his legal practice in several areas including personal injury, employment, government liability and professional negligence. Additionally, Melvin has extensive experience in appellate matters, including representing clients before Appellate Courts throughout Ohio, the Ohio Supreme Court and the U.S. Sixth Circuit.
Melvin is originally from Akron, Ohio but moved to Columbus to attend college at Capital University. As a college student, Melvin was a member of the basketball team, editor of the school newspaper and the recipient of the Merle Brown Award for Excellence in Intercollegiate Debate. Melvin attended law school at The Ohio State University, where he was a member of the Civil Rights Moot Court Team and won Second Best Brief in the national competition. He was also ranked as a top ten speaker out of sixty participants.
Melvin is a member of a number of professional organizations. In addition to his legal career, Melvin is committed to the community and enjoys the opportunity to use his experience to help others. He is a member of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc., and frequently speaks to high school and college students about career choices.
Community & Professional
Ohio Bar Association
Columbus Bar Association
- Aug 20, 2021U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
Race discrimination, retaliation, and First Amendment retaliation case filed in federal court against a school district and several administrators.
- Jan 28, 202110th Appellate Dist
Appellate court affirms trial court’s defense verdict of plaintiff’s medical malpractice claim.
- Dec 3, 2020, Judgment Affirmed7th Appellate Dist
Appellate court affirms trial court’s defense verdict of plaintiff’s medical malpractice claim.
- Sep 12, 2017, Judgment Affirmed4th Appellate Dist
T. Anderson, et al. v. Warren Local School District Board of Education
Plaintiffs appealed adverse trial court judgment in claim by homeowners alleging trespass and negligence by school district for fronting damages to their residences.
- Mar 1, 2017Fairfield
Defense of employment practices claim for governmental entity claiming discrimination based on national origin.
- Feb 6, 2017, Summary Judgment Affirmed12th Appellate Dist
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment in personal injury claim involving the rental of a bounce house
- Mar 18, 2016Preble
Defense of personal injury claim due to bounce house rental
- Sep 22, 2015, Judgment Affirmed10th Appellate Dist
Amoako-Okyere, Admr. v. Church of Messiah United
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court verdict in wrongful death claim against youth camp run by church.
- Jun 16, 2015, Denied, Court of Appeals Judgment affirmedOhio Supreme Court
State of Ohio ex. rel. Sherwood Lacroix v. Industrial Commission of Ohio and GMRI, Inc.
Plaintiff appealed adverse court of appeals decision re permanent total disability requests writ of mandamus to require Industrial Commission to issue order in his favor.
- Feb 6, 2015, Reversed6th Appellate Dist
H. Stanton v. Jerusalem Twp., et al.
Governmental defendant appealed adverse trial court judgment granting fire chief judgment for wrongful termination.
- Oct 24, 2014, Judgment Affirmed2nd Appellate Dist
Nicholas R. Busbee, Administrator, et al. v. Eaton Medical Transport, Inc.
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment in commercial transportation, personal injury claim.
- Mar 31, 2014, Judgment Affirmed7th Appellate Dist
Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation v. Jeffrey McKinley, et al.
Plaintiff (Ohio BWC) appealed adverse trial court judgment in its assertion of subrogation lien of benefits paid by virtue of industrial accident
- Feb 27, 2014Logan
Defense of wrongful death church/nonprofit negligent liability claim
- May 16, 2013, Judgment Affirmed10th Appellate Dist
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment in hospital malpractice claim
- May 6, 2013, Favorable OutcomeBelmont
Defense of wrongful death assisted living facility claim
- Apr 19, 2013, Plaintiff VerdictFranklin (Industrial Commission)
Workers’ comp administrative prosecution of claim of specific safety requirements violation (VSSR claim)
- Apr 8, 2013, Judgment Affirmed3rd Appellate Dist.
T. Rall, et al. v. C. Arora, M.D., et al.
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment in medical malpractice claim
- Mar 1, 2012, Judgment Affirmed10th Appellate Dist
State Farm Mutual Auto Ins. Co. v. Anders and Celadon Trucking
Trucking company appealed adverse trial court judgment in property damage claim
- Sep 7, 2011, Judgment Affirmed9th Appellate Dist.
Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation v. McKinley, et al.
Defendant appealed applicability of statutory subrogee statute of limitation period whether 2 years or 6 years.
- Jul 13, 2011, Judgment Affirmed5th Appellate Dist
Noel Christian, Admr., et al. v. Wal-Mart Stores East, LP
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment in wrongful death claim in commercial premises liability.
- Sep 1, 2009, AffirmedSupreme Court of Ohio
Delost v. First Energy Corp., et al.
a) The certified question is answered in Corrigan v. Illum. Co., 122 Ohio St.3d 265, 2009-Ohio-2524, 910 N.E.2d 1009, and the judgment of the court of appeals is affirmed.
- Jan 12, 2009Franklin
Arbitration -Prosecution of Plaintiff property damage subrogation claim in auto collision liability circumstance.
- Sep 23, 2008, Reversed and Remanded10th Appellate Dist
Zachariah v. Roby
The Court of Appeals, T. Bryant, J., held that: i) genuine issues of material fact precluded summary judgment to teenagers.
- Jul 13, 2007, Plaintiff VerdictMontgomery
Prosecution of construction liability property damage claim by owner developer against painting subcontractor.
- Press Release, Nov 27, 2019
- Press Release, Dec 5, 2018
- Press Release, Dec 6, 2017
- Press Release, Dec 2, 2016
- Press Release, Dec 2, 2015
- Press Release, Dec 3, 2014
- Press Release, Oct 7, 2014
- Press Release, Feb 14, 2014
- Press Release, Dec 5, 2013
- Press Release, Nov 21, 2012
- Sep 9, 2023
- ADR and NegotiationsColumbus, OH, Sep 25, 2019
- Defining, Mitigating and Reducing Harassment in the WorkplaceColumbus, OH, Nov 7, 2018
- Providing Exemplary Client Service and Avoidance of Legal MalpracticeColumbus, OH, Nov 17, 2016
- Rules and Regulations Differences that Apply to Assisted Living Facilities and Nursing HomesMerrill, WI, Jun 22, 2016
- Jury Voir Dire in a Faith Based Institutional Personal Injury ClaimEagle International Associates Church Mutual Seminar, Merrill, WI, Jun 25, 2015
- Senior Assisted Living Community Risks and Registered Sex OffendersChurch Mutual Insurance Co. Seminar - Merrill, WI, Jun 18, 2014
- Watch a Doctor Get Sued: A Live Medicolegal SimulationSociety for Academic Emergency Medicine Annual Meeting - Dallas, TX, May 15, 2014
- Ohio’s Rules Governing Professional Responsibility and EthicsNov 18, 2013
- Ohio’s Rules Governing Lawyers Professional Responsibility and Ethics - Gilbride & Company CLE Attorney Seminar - Columbus, OHOct 20, 2011
- Claims Management Challenges – Bad Faith Claims and Prejudgment InterestBig Lots CEU Institute - Columbus, OH, May 18, 2011
- Ohio's Premises Liability LawOct 5, 2009
- Insurance Coverage/Bad Faith Client Newsletter, Apr 3, 2020
- Employment Practices Liability Winter Newsletter 2019, Feb 2019
- Legal Professional Liability Newsletter, Winter 2019, Feb 2019
- Employment Liability Newsletter, Aug 2018
- The EEOC: "Pro-Business" and Protections Afforded to Minority EmployeesNational Bar Association Magazine, Jul 2017
- Published Case, Jun 19, 2017
- State ex. rel. Maddox v. Lincoln Hts., 147 Ohio St. 3d 213, 2016-Ohio-5001, Dec 5, 2016
- Participant’s death at church camp as a result of “choking game” prank cannot be the basis for liability by church unless surrounding circumstances made it foreseeableAmoako-Okyere, Admr. v. Church of Messiah United Methodist Church, 2015-Ohio-3841, Feb 15, 2016
- Published case: State Ex. Rel. Lacroix v. Industrial Commission 144 Ohio St. 3d 17, 2015-Ohio-2313, Dec 15, 2015
- Estimate of cost of repair is property admitted as evidence under business records exception to hearsay ruleState Farm Mut. Auto Ins. Co. v. Anders and Celadon Trucking 197 Ohio App.3d 22, 2012-Ohio-824, May 14, 2012
- Published Case: State ex rel. Donohoe v. Kenny Hutson Co.130 Ohio St.3d 360, 2011-Ohio-5798, Mar 15, 2012
- VSSR Violation Claim in Workers Compensation Requires the Hearing Officer to Specifically Outline the Evidence Relied Upon for DecisionDec 12, 2011
- Bureau of Workers’ Compensation is a statutory subrogee and has a 6 year statute of limitation in which to bring a claim for subrogation recoveryOhio Bureau of Workers' Compensation v. McKinley, et al. 130 Ohio St.3d. 156, 2011-Ohio-4432, Nov 28, 2011
- Ohio Supreme Court finds no coverage under CGL Policy for Pharmaceutical Distributer of Prescription Opioids Sued by Governmental EntitiesSep 19, 2022
- Ohio Supreme Court Rules That Policyholder Cannot Seek Recovery for All Damages Occurring Over Multiple Policy Periods From a Single Policy of Insurance Providing Coverage for Only “Those Sums” That Happen During the PolicyApr 23, 2020
- Nov 6, 2019
- Court Finds That E&O Policy Dishonesty Exclusion Negates Coverage Where Underlying Tortious Claims Were Also Found to be the Subject of a Civil ConspiracyApr 23, 2018
- Jan 29, 2018
- May 24, 2017
- Ohio Supreme Court Determines That The Independent Corroborative Evidence Necessary To Prove An Uninsured Motorist Claim Need Not Be IndependentJan 16, 2017
- Dec 27, 2016
- Ohio Supreme Court Amends Attorney Rules Of Professional Conduct To Specifically Allow Attorneys To Provide Legal Services To Clients Involved In Medical Marijuana EnterprisesDec 6, 2016
- Dec 5, 2016
- Oct 31, 2016
- Ohio Lawyers Cannot Provide Legal Services To Assist A Client In Establishing And Operating A Medical Marijuana EnterpriseSep 9, 2016
- Oct 20, 2014
- Jul 28, 2014
- Mortgage Contracts Requiring Payment of Attorney Fees as a Condition of Terminating Foreclosure Proceedings are EnforceableJul 21, 2009
- An Insurer May Be Liable for the Fraud of Former Agent Unless Notice is Provided That The Relationship has EndedDec 16, 2008
J.D., Ohio State University, 2005
- Moot Court-Herman Intra-School Moot Court Competition, 2004
- Moot Court-William E. McGee National Civil Rights Competition, 2005
- George R. Beneman Memorial Award for Outstanding Performance in Moot Court, 2005
Ohio State Journal of Criminal Law, 2003-2005
B.A., Capital University, 2002
- Merle Brown Award for Outstanding Service in Intercollegiate Debate, 2002
- State of Ohio, 2005
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio, 2005
- U.S. Court of Appeals of the Sixth District, 2007
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio, 2009