- Employment Practices Defense
- Professional Liability
- Retail, Hospitality and Entertainment Facilities
- General Liability/Surplus Risks
- Insurance Coverage/Bad Faith
- Architects and Engineers / Construction Liability
- Appellate Advocacy
- Directors and Officers (D&O) Liability Defense
- Governmental/Public Entity Liability
J.D., University of Dayton Law School, cum laude, 1991
B.A., Thomas Moore College, 1988
- State of Ohio, 1991
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio, 1991
- U.S. Tax Court, 1992
Some things in the practice of law are simple. Working harder than my opponent consistently leads to my clients prevailing on difficult cases.
Patrick Kasson practices in the Columbus office of Reminger Co., LPA. He serves as the Chair of the Governmental/Public Entity Liability Practice Group, and is a leader in the Employment Practices Defense and Directors and Officers Liability practice groups. Pat is also a member of the firm's Management Committee.
Patrick handles litigation involving labor and employment, wage-and-hour, housing discrimination, professional liability, governmental liability, construction defect litigation and general tort liability. Patrick also has significant experience representing beverage producers and suppliers in franchise disputes.
Pat is a member of various professional associations. He is a frequent speaker at both the local and national level in the areas of employment law, tort defense and trial techniques.
Honors & Recognitions
Listed in Best Lawyers in America for Employment Law-Individuals, Employment Law-Management, and Labor Law-Management, since 2013
Professional Memberships & Community Affiliations
American Bar Association
Columbus Bar Association
Defense Research Institute
- Novel v. Lane Alton & Horst, Rick Marsh, Ray PantelDecember 6, 2016, Affirming dismissal of Motion to DismissUnited States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
Defense of Racketeering & Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO) and fraud claims against law firm and attorneys
- August 17, 2016, Judgment AffirmedUSDC 6th Cir. Appeal
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment in First Amended retaliatory discharge claim
- Sabatino v. Dominion HomesMarch 10, 2016, Favorable OutcomeAmerican Arbitration Assn.
Arbitration defense of construction liability defect and warranty claim
- December 15, 2015, Judgment Affirmed10th Appellate Dist
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment in retail & hospitality personal injury claim.
- November 9, 2015, Judgment Affirmed3rd Appellate Dist.
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment in claim for false imprisonment and defamation
- August 26, 2015, Permit deniedMarion
Defense of conditional use permit appeal from property owner
- E. McCowen v. Village of Lincoln HeightsAugust 21, 2015, Judgment AffirmedUnited States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
Plaintiff appealed adverse federal court’s judgment on employment practices claim
- May 8, 2015, Judgment Affirmed1st Appellate Dist
Client appealed validity of tax levy by Village for providing police services
- February 11, 2015, Judgment Affirmed1st Appellate Dist
Plaintiff’s appealed adverse trial court judgment in wrongful death personal injury claim
- February 6, 2015, Reversed6th Appellate Dist
Governmental defendant appealed adverse trial court judgment granting fire chief judgment for wrongful termination.
- March 31, 2014, Judgment Affirmed7th Appellate Dist
Plaintiff (Ohio BWC) appealed adverse trial court judgment in its assertion of subrogation lien of benefits paid by virtue of industrial accident
- June 27, 2013, Judgment Affirmed10th Appellate Dist
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment in commercial premises liability personal injury claim
- June 24, 2013, Judgment Affirmed4th Appellate Dist
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment in commercial premises liability personal injury claim.
- Cathy Donoho, Extrx. v. Kenny Houston Masonry Co.April 19, 2013, Plaintiff VerdictFranklin (Industrial Commission)
Workers’ comp administrative prosecution of claim of specific safety requirements violation (VSSR claim)
- B. Bush v. Noble Construction Co.January 13, 2012, Plaintiff VerdictFairfield
Prosecution of Plaintiff personal injury construction liability case
- September 7, 2011, Judgment Affirmed9th Appellate Dist.
Defendant appealed applicability of statutory subrogee statute of limitation period whether 2 years or 6 years.
- Noel Christian, Admr., et al. v. Wal-Mart Stores East, LPJuly 13, 2011, Judgment Affirmed5th Appellate Dist
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment in wrongful death claim in commercial premises liability
- September 1, 2009, AffirmedSupreme Court of Ohio
a) The certified question is answered in Corrigan v. Illum. Co., 122 Ohio St.3d 265, 2009-Ohio-2524, 910 N.E.2d 1009, and the judgment of the court of appeals is affirmed.
- Thomas v. Nelson Tree ServiceNovember 8, 2007, Award for PlaintiffFranklin
Arbitration defense of auto liability personal injury claim.
- Michelle Sheehan, Patrick Kasson, and David Hudson Assume Management Roles For Select Practice AreasPress Release, May 18, 2017
- Press Release, August 15, 2016
- Press Release, August 17, 2015
- Press Release, August 18, 2014
- August 16, 2013
- Press Release, August 24, 2012
- Top Ten Current Employment Law IssuesCNA Global Specialty Lines, Wyomissing, PA, December 3, 2015
- Physician Employment Agreements – Terms and NegotiationsDept. Family Medicine – University Hospitals, Cleveland OH, September 8, 2015
- Damages in an Employment Practices Liability ClaimMasters’ Employment Law CLE Seminar - Columbus, OH, October 30, 2013
- Retail patron has no cause of action for tripping on protruding object without relating the condition to the stores performance or constructive knowledge. - Published Case: Ray v. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., 2013-Ohio-2684September 30, 2013
- Effective Electronic Medical Records in Health Care LitigationFall Conference of Ohio Society for Health Risk Managers (OSHRM) - Columbus, OH, September 20, 2013
- Premises Liability Claims in Ohio and KentuckyDollar General Claim Representatives - Nashville, TN, April 15, 2013
- Electronic Medical Records and the Litigation ProcessHospital Insurance Forum’s Annual Meeting - Scottsdale, AZ, April 2, 2013
- 'I’m Sorry' – Dealing With Unanticipated Outcomes and Addressing Them With Patient’s FamilyOhio Society of Healthcare Risk Managers - Columbus, OH, September 18, 2012
- Defensible Nursing DocumentationHolzer Medical Center - Jackson, OH, July 18, 2011
- The Summary of Medical Malpractice Concepts - Ohio State University Medical SchoolColumbus, OH, March 15, 2011
- Trenton, OH, November 17, 2010
- Columbus, OH, November 9, 2010
- Common Employment Law Traps - Human Resources Professionals of Intelegrated Inc. & CNA Global Specialty LinesCincinnati, OH, September 10, 2010
- June 17, 2010
- Preparing and Giving Deposition Testimony in a Medical CaseApril 13, 2009
- ADA/FMLA and the Interplay with Worker's Compensation, Dollar General-Sedgwick-Attys and Claim Administrators MeetingColumbus, Ohio, October 6, 2008
- Navigating the Pitfalls of the Hiring Process, Ohio Township Administrators ConventionCincinnati, Ohio, August 5, 2008
- "Avoiding the Pitfalls of the Family Medical Leave Act", Jackson Township Management Trustees and Management PersonnelColumbus, Ohio, June 2, 2008
- Avoiding the Pitfalls of FMLA, Ohio Township AssociationColumbus, Ohio, May 6, 2008
- 2007 Family Medical Leave Act Updated, Council on Education & ManagementCincinnati, Ohio, November 5, 2007
- Premises Liability for Acts of Independent Contractors, The Miller Brewing CompanyMiddletown, OH, September 28, 2007
- Proper Investigation Techniques in Workers' Compensation Claims, Pepsi Cola Bottling Plants Worker's Comp. UnitColumbus, OH, June 15, 2007
- Anatomy of a Nursing Home Lawsuit, Nursing Home Administrators-Alliance Training CenterColumbus, OH, June 12, 2007
- Newsletter, December 16, 2016
- State ex. rel. Maddox v. Lincoln Hts., 147 Ohio St. 3d 213, 2016-Ohio-5001, December 5, 2016
- Fall 2016 Employment Practices Liability Newsletter, October 26, 2016
- Employee or Independent Contractor? Crucial Determinations in the Age of FLSA Class Actions and the Affordable Care Act’s Employer MandateReminger Co., LPA Spring 2015 Employment Practices Newsletter, June 1, 2015
- Reminger Employment Practices Newsletter Fall 2014, November 6, 2014
- Prosecuting and Defending Bad Faith CasesOhio State Bar Assn. CLE Seminar - Columbus, OHAugust 22, 2014
- Basic Federal Labor Law for Non-Union EmployersReminger Employment Practices Newsletter - Spring 2013, April 15, 2013
- Published Case: State ex rel. Donohoe v. Kenny Hutson Co.130 Ohio St.3d 360, 2011-Ohio-5798, March 15, 2012
- VSSR Violation Claim in Workers Compensation Requires the Hearing Officer to Specifically Outline the Evidence Relied Upon for DecisionDecember 12, 2011
- Bureau of Workers’ Compensation is a statutory subrogee and has a 6 year statute of limitation in which to bring a claim for subrogation recoveryOhio Bureau of Workers' Compensation v. McKinley, et al. 130 Ohio St.3d. 156, 2011-Ohio-4432, November 28, 2011
- Protecting Your Company's Trade SecretsEmployment Practices Group E-Newsletter - Summer 2011, July 1, 2011
- Top 5 Ways to Avoid an Employment Law MessReminger Employment Practices Group Summer 2010 Newsletter, June 21, 2010
- A utilities right of way cannot be impeded by the property ownerOctober 26, 2009
- "2006 Ohio Workers' Compensation: A Closer Look", OSBA CLE Institute Internet Continuing Legal Education Video SeminarApril 25, 2007