Our attorneys combine their extensive trial and litigation experience with a unique understanding of business and commercial issues to advance aggressive, practical, and effective litigation strategies. We constantly collaborate with our clients to understand their goals and objectives, evaluate their litigation and business risks, and guide our clients toward the best possible result, whether through pre-lawsuit settlement negotiations, initiating or defending a lawsuit, dismissal of a lawsuit through pre-trial motions, or trial.
Our attorneys have significant experience representing individuals and businesses in:
- complex commercial and business litigation;
- business divorce or shareholder/partnership/member disputes;
- disputes arising out of non-compete/non-solicitation agreements;
- disputes related to trade secrets;
- business torts;
- breach of contract claims;
- financial services (including securities and banking) disputes;
- fiduciary litigation;
- director and officer litigation (D&O); and
- class action litigation.
With fifteen offices across the Midwest and more than 160 lawyers, we have the depth and resources to provide exceptional representation to large companies in complex and high exposure litigation. We also pride ourselves in being entrepreneurial and innovative in structuring and staffing our client engagements, which allows us to provide the same exceptional services to small and mid-size businesses, as well as individuals (e.g., business owners and Directors & Officers).
Honors & Recognitions
Reminger’s Commercial Litigation Group was ranked highly by U.S. News - Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” as Metropolitan Tier 1 (Cleveland) and Tier 2 (Lexington and Toledo) for 2022. Attorneys within this group have also received individual recognitions as “Best Lawyers in America,” as well as “Super Lawyers” and “Rising Stars” by Ohio Super Lawyers Magazine.
Examples of our recent representations include:
- Obtained near-seven figure settlement on behalf of minority shareholders in shareholder dispute against majority shareholder related to breach of fiduciary duty/self-dealing and other allegations of business misconduct.
- Defended and resolved multi-million-dollar lawsuit against business owners and family limited liability companies/partnership involving claims of breach of fiduciary duty, conversion, fraud, and alleged mismanagement of real estate management companies.
- Obtained directed verdict at trial in dispute between financial services companies in an escrow defalcation case.
- Obtained dismissal of all claims in dispute between limited liability company and banking institution, affirmed on appeal.
- Obtained defense verdict on six of seven claims in two-week trial in commercial/banking dispute, with remaining claim resulting in award for approximately half of Plaintiff’s pre-trial settlement demand.
- Obtained settlement in excess of $500,000 and defeated counterclaim in significant contract dispute involving medical billing company.
- Obtained state-wide injunction through extended preliminary injunction hearing on behalf of Fortune 100 company.
- Defended companies in class action litigation, including arguments before the Supreme Court of the United States in Jerman v. Carlisle, McNelie, Rini, Kramer, & Ulrich L.P.A., 559 U.S. 573 (2010).
- Sep 22, 2022, Motion For Summary JudgmentOttawa County Court of Common Pleas
Obtained motion for summary judgment in commercial litigation case involving concealment of assets, fraudulent transfers, and other improper conduct. After written discovery and several depositions, the trial court granted summary judgment in favor of our clients, as well as other defendants. The trial court subsequently awarded the reimbursement of attorneys’ fees in the amount of $25,000 to our clients after finding that Plaintiff’s continued prosecution of the claims (after the completion of discovery) was frivolous.
- Jul 2022, Defense VerdictSummit County
Obtained a defense verdict in favor of individual business owner and two businesses who were being pursued for breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, among other claims, by Plaintiffs who were seeking nearly $2.0 million in damages.
- Joshua Huss vs. Compass Compliance, LLC, et al.Apr 21, 2021, Motion to Dismiss GrantedIowa District Court, Cherokee County
Plaintiffs filed a lawsuit against our safety compliance consultant client, alleging intentional spoliation of evidence in connection with a workplace injury and workers’ compensation claim. We successfully argued that the consultant acted properly under applicable Iowa law and that Iowa does not recognize a claim for intentional spoliation, and obtained complete dismissal of all claims through a motion to dismiss.
- Jan 28, 2021, Judgment for DefendantPorter County Superior Court, Valparaiso, IN
Defended mortgage loan servicer against claims of improperly collected money.
- Nov 18, 2019, Finding For PlaintiffFranklin
Prosecution of commercial business dispute claim
- Jul 31, 2019, Summary JudgmentWood County
Successfully represented creditor in securing summary judgment on plaintiff/creditor’s complaint for the principal and interest due and further securing for creditor an order of summary judgment on counter-claims filed by debtor.
- Feb 1, 2018, Affirmed8th Dist. Ct. of Appeals
Mitchell v. Babickas, 2018-Ohio-383
Affirming trial court summary judgement in favor of product manufacturer for property damage
- Aug 22, 2017, Judgment for PlaintiffMahoning
Defense of commercial dispute involving service provider’s claim for compensation for services and lost profits
- Mar 22, 2016, Motion to Dismiss GrantedU.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
Defense of Racketeering Influence Corrupt Practices (RICO) claims
- Feb 16, 2016, Defense verdict on Plaintiff’s claim and defense verdict on counterclaimHamilton
Prosecution and defense of commercial business dispute
- Jan 26, 2015, Summary Judgment8th District Court of Appeals
LAME, Inc. v. E.G. Systems Inc., 2015-Ohio-686
Summary judgement in favor of product manufacture and distributor for claims of personal property damage
- Sep 17, 2014, Finding For DefendantHamilton
Arbitration defense of commercial lease and property conversion claim.
- Sep 9, 2014, Finding For PlaintiffMedina
Arbitration prosecution of commercial litigation dispute
- Jan 31, 2014, Finding For PlaintiffMahoning
Arbitration prosecution of commercial dispute matter
- Apr 26, 2013, Each party walked away without liabilityLorain
Defense and counterclaims of commercial lease dispute
- Apr 22, 2013, Defense VerdictHamilton
Defense of multiple commercial claim eviction action
- Dec 28, 2012, Finding for Northern Ohio Medical SpecialistsLucas
Successful prosecution of employment/commercial dispute arbitration claim
- Nov 21, 2012, Favorable OutcomeSandusky
Defense of commercial professional services fee dispute
- Sep 13, 2012, Plaintiff's Valuation AwardedMontgomery
Prosecution of arbitration of value reduction for purposes of real estate tax valuation.
- Aug 22, 2012, Finding For PlaintiffU.S. District Court of Ohio, Northern District
Prosecution of commercial litigation for TRO permanent injunction and damages for trade secrets violation and unfair competition
- Aug 9, 2012, Motion for Summary Judgment in PartCuyahoga
Motion for summary judgment was granted in favor of client in defense of commercial litigation claim.
- Mar 28, 2012, Favorable OutcomeCuyahoga
Prosecution of plaintiff employment contract commercial litigation case
- Mar 22, 2011, Favorable OutcomeBenton County District Court, Minnesota
Defense of commercial litigation dispute involving hold over rent and alleged claim of damage to premises
- Feb 7, 2011, Judgment Affirmed5th Appellate Dist
Cintas Corporation v. Artcraft Memorials Inc. dba Ventling Memorials
Defendant appealed adverse trial court judgment in breach of contract commercial claim.
- Jan 20, 2011, Favorable OutcomeMedina
Defense of multiple contractual claims and defense of counterclaims arising from purchase and sale of business
- Oct 15, 2010, Judgment for PlaintiffStark
Prosecution and defense of commercial litigation dispute.
- Sep 1, 2010, Award on counterclaimLorain
Arbitration defense of commercial dispute over home design services
- Jul 19, 2010, Finding For PlaintiffWarren
Defense of commercial litigation claim
- Jun 7, 2010, Affirmed3rd Appellate Dist.
Harrod v. Tiffin University
Summary Judgment granted on argument that case previously dismissed by 41(a) were compulsory at the time Tiffin U took their claims to trial.
- Dec 8, 2009, Plaintiff VerdictHamilton
Prosecution of tenant/landlord dispute in commercial litigation claim
- Aug 24, 2009, USDC Southern Dist.U.S. District Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
J. Bates v. Rockies Express Pipeline
Defense of eminent domain dispute for right of way and easement over Plaintiff’s land.
- Jul 21, 2009, Plaintiff AwardU.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
Defense of eminent domain dispute for right of way and easement over Plaintiff’s land
- Jun 25, 2009, Plaintiff VerdictCuyahoga
Defense of commercial litigation involving technology services
- Mar 18, 2009, Finding For DefenseCuyahoga
Arbitration defense of commercial dispute involving consumer sale practices act
- Apr 14, 2022
- Sep 30, 2021
- Press Release, Dec 23, 2020
- Press Release, Nov 19, 2020
- Press Release, Nov 5, 2020
- Press Release, Oct 16, 2020
- Reminger Co., LPA Announces Appointment of Brian P. Nally as Chair of Commercial Litigation Practice GroupPress Release, Dec 23, 2019
- Zachary B. Pyers Receives Outstanding Young Lawyer Award From the Ohio Association of Civil Trial AttorneysPress Release, Nov 26, 2019
- Press Release, Nov 14, 2019
- Nov 1, 2019
- Press Release, Aug 15, 2019
- Press Release, Nov 28, 2018
- Press Release, Nov 1, 2018
- Press Release, Dec 6, 2017
- Press Release, Nov 1, 2017
- Press Release, Nov 1, 2016
- Press Release, Jun 8, 2016
- Press Release, Jun 8, 2016
- Press Release, Nov 24, 2015
- Press Release, Nov 4, 2015
- Press Release, Nov 2, 2015
- Press Release, Sep 15, 2015
- Press Release, Jan 23, 2015
- Press Release, Jan 15, 2015
- Reminger Co., LPA Honored with 15 First-Tier Practice Group Rankings by U.S. News & World Report and Best LawyersPress Release, Nov 1, 2012
- Mar 7, 2022
- Discovery Under the New Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, Cooperation Between Counsel and Following the Proportionality Standard During DiscoveryCleveland, OH, Mar 24, 2017
- Overview of the Ohio Consumer Sales Practices Act and Motor Vehicle LawOhio State Bar Association CLE, Cleveland, OH, Aug 21, 2015
- Business TortsOhio Association for Justice - Cleveland, OH, Nov 7, 2013
- Mock Arbitration Commercial LitigationCase Western Reserve School of Law, Mar 20, 2013
- DRI Trade Secrets and Non-Competes Compendium of State Law (Regional Editor)Aug 9, 2012
- Nov 30, 2020
- Aug 17, 2016
- Mar 9, 2015
- Jan 24, 2012
- Apr 21, 2011
- Jun 29, 2010
- Jul 2, 2009
- Feb 10, 2009
- Estate and Trust Dispute Center of Ohio, Aug 22, 2017
- Estate and Trust Dispute Center of Ohio, Jul 6, 2017
- Estate and Trust Dispute Center of Ohio, Jan 6, 2017
All Practice Group Attorneys
- Brian P. Nally
- Andrew J. Dorman
- Michael P. Gilbride
- Robert W. Hojnoski
- David R. Hudson
- Robert S. Yallech
- Mark R. Bush
- Steven A. Chang
- Jed Chedid
- Mario C. Ciano
- Andrew Domozick
- Zachary R. Durant
- Melany Kotlarek Fontanazza
- Justin D. Harris
- Houston Hum
- Jonathan Krol
- Nathan A. Lennon
- Danielle Lorenz
- Robert Lotz
- Jack Maib
- Gregory S. Metzger
- Ian D. Mitchell
- Sean T. Needham
- James O'Connor
- Anthony Pernice
- Zachary B. Pyers
- Richard J. Rymond
- Matthew L. Schrader
- Joseph S. Simms
- Timothy B. Spille
- Matthew A. Taulbee
- Michael J. Valentine
- Clinton J. Wasserman
- Eric J. Weiss
- Trevor Wells
- Chad E. Willits