- Articles & Publications
- Reminger Reports
- Estate and Trust Dispute Resource Center of Ohio
- Join Our Mailing List
Five New Year’s Resolutions for HR ProfessionalsPDF
By Vincent Antaki and Carrie Starts
As most of us do in our personal lives, the new year is often a good time to reflect on years past and set goals for the future in our professional lives. As HR professionals, there are many areas where your employer relies on you to make the best, up to date decisions on behalf of the company. Laws are constantly changing and evolving in the employment arena and the new year is a perfect time to review forms and/or policies to ensure that you are compliant. Below are a few resolutions you may consider this year.
• Review/Update Your Employee Handbook – The Employee Handbook is the starting point when dealing with any claim, whether that be discrimination, harassment, or wrongful termination. It is important to ensure that the policies are clear and concise. Now is a perfect time to take a look at your employee handbook to ensure compliance with recent changes in employment law.
• Review/Update Your Applications –Recent developments in employment law may impact the compliance of your current application. When dealing with a new claim, you do not want to fight an uphill battle because of a technicality. Now is a perfect time to review your application to ensure compliance.
• Review/Update Your Severance Agreements – This is another area where recent changes may impact your company’s compliance with the law. Severance Agreements should protect your company, not jeopardize the possibility of defending a claim.
• Review/Update Your Non-Compete Agreements – Non-Compete Agreements have traditionally been enforceable in Ohio. However, there are certain requirements that have become necessary staples in these agreements. Again, Non-Compete Agreements are meant to protect the company when individuals in key roles leave. It is worth taking a look to make sure your agreements are enforceable.
• Consider Updated Harassment Training for Your Employees – With any changes in company policies, it is a good time to ensure your employees are properly trained on this topic. Likewise, in today’s environment of #MeToo, it is important that employees understand the impact of technology, and specifically social media, in the work environment.
In keeping with the growth and changes of your company, the new year is a perfect time to ensure that the company is better this year than the last. Reminger would welcome the opportunity to assist you in meeting your New Year’s resolutions. Please contact us if you would like further information or assistance with the above resolutions.