Roy's varied skill set positions him well for his multiple roles at Reminger, Co., L.P.A. Serving as the Managing Partner of the firm's Toledo office, Roy is also a trial lawyer, business consultant, adviser and friend of clients in a broad array of industries. He has represented the medical profession in malpractice suits, employment issues, directors and officers liability, and credentialing. He has represented product manufacturers in product liability claims and business disputes. He has defended class-action litigation. Public and private educational institutions retain him to resolve disputes with teachers, professors, students, and parents. Financial institutions, accountants and lawyers look to him for business advice, representation in employment disputes, contract negotiations and to defend them against negligence claims. Insurance carriers consult with him for coverage opinions, representation of general liability claims, to prosecute large subrogation actions, and as a mediator. For 40 years, he has represented the retail store industry in all their needs, including commercial litigation, personal injury litigation, security cases, and employment litigation. He tries cases in all Ohio state and federal courts and has been retained to handle and try litigation matters in contiguous states.
Roy is an active member of the community. He is past president and board member of Community Housing Resources, is a past board member of Lutheran Agencies Organized in Service, tutors adults in preparation for taking their GED exams with Seeds of Literacy, is a former high school wrestling official and an international curler. He serves as a state and federal court arbitrator and business mediator. He accompanied the governor of the State of Ohio on a trade mission to Europe.
Within the firm, Roy is a practice area chairman, member of the Management Committee, and is involved with attorney training.
Honors & Recognitions
Rated AV® Preeminent™: Very Highly Rated in Both Legal Ability and Ethical Standards by Martindale Hubbell Peer Review for 20 Years
Top Lawyers in Ohio 2011, 2013
Top Attorneys in Ohio Business Litigation 2012
Recognized as a Super Lawyer by Ohio Super Lawyers Magazine
Listed in Best Lawyers in America for Litigation - Intellectual Property, since 2016
Listed in Best Lawyers in America for Litigation - Commercial Litigation, since 2016
Community & Professional
Toledo Bar Association
Lucas County Bar Association
Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
Michigan Bar Association
Ohio State Bar Association
- Sep 19, 2019, Judgment Affirmed8th Dist. Cuyahoga No. 108077, 2019-Ohio-3774
Employment discrimination claim dismissed by trial court by way of summary judgment motion practice and affirmed by appellate court on appeal.
- Aug 14, 2018, Defense VerdictLorain
Fire subrogation property damage claim
- Nov 14, 2017, Defense VerdictLucas
Defense of commercial auto liability personal injury claim
- Oct 19, 2017, Finding For DefendantU.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
Arbitration defense of commercial premises liability personal injury claim with large Medicaid lien.
- Apr 4, 2013, Reversed8th Appellate Dist
Rebecca Lively v. Donald Dunning, D.D.S., Inc. et. al.
Plaintiff appealed adverse judgment re: malicious prosecution and emotional distress claims
- Feb 12, 2013, Defense VerdictLorain
Prosecution of subrogation claim for failure of defendant to properly size a sewer by-pass pump resulting in sewage backup.
- Mar 28, 2012, Favorable OutcomeCuyahoga
Prosecution of plaintiff employment contract commercial litigation case
- Jun 3, 2010, Judgment Reversed8th Appellate Dist
North Shore Auto Financing, Inc. dba Car Now Acceptance Corporation v. Block, et al.
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court decision finding no violation of Truth In Lending Act.
- Mar 29, 2010, Favorable OutcomeCuyahoga
Defense of attorney fee claim of $194,000 following plaintiff jury verdict in sexual harrasment employment practices claim
- Jun 1, 2009, Defense VerdictCuyahoga
Defense of alleged theft of trade secrets claim
- Jan 22, 2009, Affirmed8th Appellate Dist
Miller v. Management Recruiters International Inc.
The Court of Appeals, Patricia Ann Blackmon, J., held that: i) trial court did not abuse its discretion in refusing to vacate award based on arbitrator's alleged bias.
- Sep 22, 2007, Defense VerdictCuyahoga
Defense of class action violation of state usery laws in automobile financing.
- Mar 26, 2007, Finding For DefendantCuyahoga
Arbitration defense of franchise dispute involving violations of Ohio Business Opportunities Act.
- Press Release, Aug 20, 2020
- Press Release, Aug 15, 2019
- Press Release, Aug 15, 2018
- Press Release, Aug 15, 2017
- Press Release, Aug 15, 2016
- Press Release, Aug 17, 2015
- Public Relations, Apr 24, 2015
- Press Release, Oct 7, 2014
- Press Release, Dec 16, 2011
- Arbitrations and MediationCase Western Reserve University School of Law, Cleveland, OH, Mar 20, 2015
- Hiring and Monitoring: Complying with Federal and State Employment LawsDRI Strictly Retail & Hospitality Conference - Chicago, IL, May 16, 2013
- Mock Arbitration Commercial LitigationCase Western Reserve School of Law, Mar 20, 2013
- Employment Practices Liability - Gilbride Insurance Consultants CLE SeminarWestlake, OH, Nov 8, 2010
- What Real Estate Operating Officers, Management and Staff Need To Know About Employment Practices LiabilityKeller Williams Regional Franchises Seminar - Cleveland, OH, Jul 29, 2010
- Teamwork and Team Building- Management and Training Corporation of America Penal Division.Grafton, OH, May 26, 2010
- There is no abuse of discretion in which to vacate an award based on arbitrators' alleged biasJun 29, 2009
J.D., Case Western Reserve University, 1979
B.A., Capital University, magna cum laude, 1976
- State of Ohio, 1979
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio, 1979
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio, 1998
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, 1985
- United States Supreme Court, 1992
- State of Michigan, 2015
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 2015
- U. S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana, 2016
- U. S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana, 2016