J.D., Thomas Cooley Law School , 1995
B.A., John Carroll University, 1989
- State of Ohio, 1996
There is no substitute for hard work and preparation in litigation. My father always told me to “keep my nose to the grindstone.” That was sage advice. That advice drives me everyday to give a 100% effort in defending my clients and in obtaining the best possible results for them
Mike is a shareholder with the firm and concentrates his career on defending doctors, hospitals, and medical personnel in medical negligence matters. Mike's litigation expertise also encompasses the defense of clients in legal malpractice, general liability, transportation liability, and professional liability matters. He has tried over 45 first chair jury trials involving medical malpractice and transportation liability. Mike is also a member of the firm's Management Committee.
Mike is a member of various professional bar associations. He frequently presents educational seminars to both legal and non-legal professionals in the areas of medical negligence, tort reform, and risk management. Mike is also a CYO and AAU basketball coach.
Professional Memberships & Community Affiliations
American Bar Association
Ohio State Bar Association
Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
"Mike was incredible. In my corporate and expert opinion, the decision rendered was totally his victory. I loved interacting with him."
- Chris, President
- Iffland v Omni HeathJune 11, 2019, Defense VerdictLucas
Defense of emergency medicine malpractice claim in 6-day jury trial alleging failure to diagnose soft tissue infection resulting in gangrene, multiple surgeries, and permanent injury.
- E/O Porter v Firelands Regional Medical CenterAugust 10, 2018, Plaintiff VerdictErie
Defense of wrongful death claim involving a terminal airway obstruction resulting in cardiopulmonary arrest.
- Mackenzy Cook v. EMH Regional Medical Center, et al.June 7, 2018, Defense VerdictLorain
Defense of medical malpractice claim involving shoulder dystocia during delivery resulting in a permanent brachial plexus injury
- Miller v. Firelands Regional Medical CenterMarch 20, 2018, Defense VerdictErie
Defense of alleged negligent recredentialing a foot surgeon in performing 32 unnecessary surgeries
- February 23, 2018, Judgment Affirmed6th District Court of Appeals
Defense of medical malpractice appeal
- July 3, 2017, Reversed6th Appellate Dist
Defendant appealed adverse trial court judgment in wrongful death medical malpractice case
- Gaye Lynn Harris-Miles, et al. v. Lakewood Hospital, et al.June 20, 2017, Motion For Summary Judgment GrantedErie
Defense of orthopedic medical malpractice
- Y. Morales v. Firelands HospitalMarch 7, 2017, Defense VerdictErie
Defense of negligent credentialing and re-credentialing of podiatrist
- E/O L. Born v. Marker, M.D., et al.October 13, 2016, Plaintiff VerdictCuyahoga
Defense of wrongful death medical malpractice claim involving deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolus
- E/O M. Gallagher v. Firelands Regional Medical CenterMay 27, 2015, Defense VerdictErie
Defense of wrongful death medical malpractice case
- E/O Becker v UH Elyria Medical CenterMarch 11, 2015, Defense VerdictLorain
Defense of wrongful death medical malpractice claim
- E/O Oswalt v. Kerns, M.D.August 22, 2014, Defense VerdictKnox
Defense of wrongful death medical malpractice claim
- E/O Newman v. Bishop,M.D.July 16, 2014, Defense VerdictErie
Defense of wrongful
death psychiatric claim
- E/O Carver v. S. Urban, M.D.June 28, 2011, Favorable OutcomeKnox
Defense of wrongful death emergency medicine malpractice claim
- December 20, 2010, Judgment Affirmed3rd Appellate Dist.
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial verdict in wrongful death/med mal case.
- September 30, 2010, Judgment Affirmed6th Appellate Dist
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court result in construction defect liability case
- David Davis v. Firelands HospitalAugust 30, 2010, Judgment Affirmed6th Appellate Dist
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court result in catastrophic medical negligence claim based on trial court evidentiary rulings
- E/O Gallagher v. Elyria Memorial HospitalMarch 2, 2010, Defense VerdictLorain
Defense of wrongful death medical malpractice case following anoxic episode from massive infection
- Striff v. McCullough, M.D.November 30, 2009, Defense VerdictAllen
Defense of a wrongful death/medical malpractice case involving the death of a 43 year old man due to a heart attack.
- David Davis v. Firelands HospitalOctober 9, 2009, Defense VerdictErie
Defense of catastrophic medical negligence claim
- D. Sharkey v. J. Chandran, M.D.April 25, 2008, Defense VerdictErie
Defense of orthopedic and neurological medical malpractice claim.
- E/O McLaughlin v. Firelands HospitalSeptember 12, 2007, Defense VerdictErie
Defense of wrongful death medical malpractice claim.
- Nursing Documentation and Malpractice Seminar for EMH Regional Medical CenterJune 5, 2009
- Seminar on Ohio Apology Law for The Doctors CompanyJanuary 21, 2009
- "Advancing the Practice of Good Medicine", Doctor's Company, Northwest Ohio Insured PhysiciansToledo, Ohio, May 7, 2008
- Published Case: Gallagher, Extr. v. Firelands Regional Medical Center 2017-Ohio-483Patient’s medical records including doctor’s hearsay statements were admissible under the business records exception of the hearsay rule, July 3, 2017