Mark is a shareholder in Reminger Co., LPA’s Cincinnati office, where he focuses his practice on medical malpractice defense and insurance defense litigation matters. Mark has cultivated an illustrious career over the past 35+ years as an attorney representing hospitals, physicians, dentists, and other medical professionals in the allied health care arena. He has represented the attending physicians of the University of Cincinnati for more than 20 years. An accomplished trial attorney, Mark has tried dozens of jury trials to verdict.
Mark has amassed many notable accomplishments over his career. He has been listed as an Ohio Super Lawyer since 2007. He was honored with “Best Lawyers” Lawyer of the Year, Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants, Cincinnati for 2018 and 2020. In 2019, Mark was presented with a Golden Gavel Award by Westfield Insurance Company for winning a high-profile case in the Supreme Court of Kentucky.
Mark started his legal career in 1980 as a judicial clerk for the Honorable Lyle W. Castle, a 1st District Court of Appeals Judge. Mark continued his clerkship and followed Judge Castle to the newly created 12th District Court of Appeals for a couple of years until joining a Cincinnati-based litigation firm. Mark worked on a varied caseload with some of the area’s highest profile attorneys. Heeding to his entrepreneurial nature, he started a firm a few years later with several other attorneys where he worked on a variety of legal matters. After several years he was recruited by a large regional firm, where he continued to hone his skills in medical malpractice defense as well as non-medical insurance defense matters including car accidents, larger dollar motor vehicle cases for trucking companies, construction cases, employment law matters and more.
Represented the Cincinnati Reds in the Pete Rose v. Bart Giamatti case, ultimately leading to Pete Rose’s ban from baseball.
Represented the University of Cincinnati in cases challenging the privatization of the University of Cincinnati Hospital.
Represented University of Cincinnati Physicians in two Ohio Supreme Court cases that redefined the extent of personal immunity of university physicians
Honors & Recognitions
2019 Westfield Insurance Company’s Golden Gavel Award Winner
Recognized as a Super Lawyer by Ohio Super Lawyers Magazine
Listed in Best Lawyers in America for Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants, since 2008
Selected as Best Lawyers Lawyer of the Year 2018 – Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants, Cincinnati
Selected as Best Lawyers Lawyer of the Year 2020 – Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants, Cincinnati
Rated AV® Preeminent™: Very Highly Rated in Both Legal Ability and Ethical Standards by Martindale Hubbell Peer Review
Community & Professional
Cincinnati Bar Association
Ohio State Bar Association
Kentucky Bar Association
Northern Kentucky Bar Association
- Oct 8, 2019, Favorable OutcomeGreene
Defense of wrongful death case with strongly disputed liability involving a trucking accident. Last demand was $1 million and plaintiff counsel asked the jury for $3.5 million; final jury verdict was $520,233.
- Dec 13, 2018, Judgment AffirmedKentucky Supreme Court
Raymond Hayes & Dena Hayes v. D.C.I. Properties-D KY, LLC and the Nelson Stark Company
Defense of appeal of summary judgment involving the attractive nuisance doctrine.
- Press Release, Nov 27, 2019
- Mark A. MacDonald Named Best Lawyers® 2020 "Lawyer of the Year" for Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants – CincinnatiPress Release, Aug 15, 2019
- Press Release, Aug 15, 2019
- Press Release, Dec 5, 2018
- Press Release, Aug 15, 2018
- Press Release, Dec 6, 2017
- Press Release, Aug 15, 2017
- Press Release, Aug 15, 2017
- Press Release, Dec 2, 2016
- Press Release, Aug 15, 2016
- Mark A. MacDonald, Timothy B. Spille and Jade A. Stewart Join Reminger Co., LPA’s Cincinnati and Fort Mitchell OfficesPress Release, Jul 14, 2016
- Medical Malpractice Issues Faced by the Foreign PhysicianCincinnati Zoo - Cincinnati, OH, Sep 16, 2017
- Apr 1, 2020
- Sixth Circuit Holds That Ohio’s Affidavit of Merit Requirement Does Not Apply To Medical Claims Filed In Federal CourtDec 3, 2019
- Jun 17, 2019
- Nov 15, 2018
- Court of Appeals Holds a Wrongful Death Claim Arising from Medical Care is Subject to Statute of Repose for Medical ClaimsJun 29, 2018
- Sep 13, 2017
- A New Hurdle for Medical Malpractice Claimants: Legislation Establishing Medical Review Panels Takes Effect in KentuckyJul 19, 2017
- Finally, a Win for Long-Term Care Facilities: United States Supreme Court Invalidates Kentucky Rule Singling Out Arbitration AgreementsMay 31, 2017
- Ohio Supreme Court Decision Permits Immediate Appeals from Discovery Orders Requiring Disclosure of Privileged MaterialsDec 14, 2016
- Ohio Supreme Court Rules Medical Malpractice Lawsuits Must Be Filed Within Four Years of Claimed InjuryOct 25, 2016
- Challenges to the Constitutionality of Indiana’s Med Mal Caps Continue Despite a Recent Legislative CompromiseAug 17, 2016
- Clerkship with the Honorable Lyle W. Castle, Judge, First District Court of Appeals of Ohio
- Clerkship with the Honorable Lyle W. Castle, Judge, Twelfth District Court of Appeals of Ohio
- Clerkship with the Honorable Fred Jones, Judge, Twelfth District Court of Appeals of Ohio
J.D., University of Cincinnati Law School, 1980 (Law Review Member)
B.A., University of Cincinnati, High Honors, 1975
- State of Ohio, 1980
- Commonwealth of Kentucky, 1995
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District Kentucky
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit