J.D., Capital University Law School, cum laude, 1995
- Order of the Curia
- Staff Member, Capital University Law Review, 1994-1995
B.S., Civil Engineering, University of Dayton, Honors, 1987
- State of Ohio, 1995
- State of Colorado, 2018
With my technical aptitude and background in construction and engineering, I strive to streamline the litigation process for my clients who are embroiled in construction claims and disputes by identifying issues quickly and efficiently.
Joe is a Partner in the Cleveland office and serves as Co-Chair of Reminger’s Construction Design and Liability Practice Group. He is a degreed civil engineer with eight years of practical work experience in the road and bridge construction industry, including work as a project superintendent for a heavy highway general contractor, and owner of a consulting company specializing in polymer restoration materials.
Since he began practicing law in 1995, Joe’s practice has been devoted exclusively to construction law, with a specific emphasis in construction litigation. He has represented owners, contractors, subcontractors, architects, engineers, and material suppliers in a variety of construction-related matters, including tort claims involving personal injury and property damage, architect and engineer E&O claims, construction defect claims, mechanics’ lien, bond, delay and contract claims. Joe has handled litigation matters in most state courts in Ohio, the U.S. District Courts for Northern District and Southern District of Ohio, and the American Arbitration Association in accordance with its Construction Industry Arbitration Rules.
Joe is on the American Arbitration Association’s panel of Arbitrators for construction disputes and has served as the Arbitrator on numerous complex construction matters. He has also received comprehensive mediation training through the American Arbitration Association, is on the panel of commercial mediators for the Cuyahoga County Court of Common Plea and has successfully mediated a number of construction claims through the years. Joe also presents continuing education seminars on a variety of topics including tort liability in the construction context, contract and bond claims and Ohio’s Mechanics’ Lien Statute.
Joe enjoys skiing, cycling, hiking, swimming, backcountry camping, and backpacking. He also has completed 14 marathons since 2011, including running in the Boston Marathon every year since 2012.
Honors & Recognitions
Recognized as a Super Lawyer in Ohio Super Lawyers Magazine since 2011
Selected as Best Lawyers 2019 "Lawyer of the Year" – Construction Law – Cleveland
Listed in Best Lawyers in America for Construction Law, since 2007
Professional Memberships & Community Affiliations
Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
Ohio State Bar Association
- Representation of EPC contractor on $220 million claim related to the design/construction of flue gas desulphurization projects at a number of coal burning power plants in the eastern and southern United States.
- Representation of environmental consultant on $20 million class action suit by residential homeowners related to alleged nuisance arising from commercial development of former solid waste landfill sites.
- Representation of EPC contractor on $40 million claim related to alleged failure to meet performance guarantees on an ethanol plant project.
- Representation of structural engineer on $5.4 million claim by industrial warehouse tenant for inventory loss resulting from roof damage during a storm event.
- Representation of apartment complex owner on $1.1 million claim for improper asphalt paving and ancillary work.
- Representation of civil engineer on $2 million claim related to downstream residential flooding following a pump station improvement project.
- Representation of demolition contractor on $1.5 million claim from public utility owner arising from damage to its existing underground utilities during demotion of an existing elementary school.
- Representation of geotechnical engineering/testing firm on $40 million claim arising from fatalities during nighttime interstate paving project.
- Representation of a geotechnical engineer on a $2.5 million claim related to failure of a steep slope and roadway following a slope stabilization project.
- Representation of structural engineer on $45 million delay claim arising from design/construction of a hospital/hotel.
- Representation of developer on $6.2 million claim for mold and water intrusion at a luxury condominium complex along Lake Erie.
- Representation of civil engineer on $2.5 million claim from downstream nursery owner for contamination of its irrigation ponds due to upstream commercial development.
- Representation of civil/environmental consultants on $25 million claim arising from necessary improvements to a wastewater treatment plant.
- Representation of county sanitary engineer against general contractor on $5.6 million claim on two projects arising from defective horizontal directional drilling and jack and bore work.
- Representation of civil engineer on $3.5 million claim related to alleged failure of multiple roadways due to unfavorable e soil conditions.
- Representation of structural engineer on $8.5 million claim arising from replacement of multiple parking decks at a large apartment complex.
- Representation of design/builder on $15 million claim arising from alleged structural failure of multiple concrete floor slabs in a large hotel/condominium complex.
- Press Release, December 5, 2018
- Press Release, August 15, 2018
- Press Release, August 15, 2018
- Dubai Drone Taxi Service Could Impact Urban InfrastructureEngineering News-Record, April 6, 2018
- Press Release, December 6, 2017
- Press Release, August 15, 2017
- Press Release, December 2, 2016
- Press Release, August 15, 2016
- Press Release, December 2, 2015
- Press Release, August 17, 2015
- Youngstown Vindicator, April 30, 2015
- Press Release, December 3, 2014
- Press Release, August 18, 2014
- Selection Includes 30 Super Lawyers and 16 Rising Stars Across Ohio and KentuckyPress Release, December 5, 2013
- Press Release, December 17, 2012
- Press Release, December 16, 2011
- Avoiding the Pitfalls of Typical Risk Shifting Contract CausesAmerican Society of Civil Engineers, National Webinar, September 26, 2018
- Legal Issues for Professional SurveyorsOhio Northern University, Ada, OH, July 28, 2017
- “Legal Issues for Professional Engineers”Half-Moon International Professional Development Credits (PDCs) seminar - Akron, OH, September 23, 2014
- Construction LawSeminar Series – Mock TrialHarmonie Construction Conference - Atlanta, GA, July 23, 2014
- Directed Verdict and Summary Judgment Strategies in Construction Liability ClaimsHarmonie Group Annual Construction Conference - Phoenix, AZ, November 12, 2013
- Indemnification Clauses and Additional Insured Provisions in Construction ContractsHarmonie Group Trucking and Construction Conference - Chicago, IL, June 20, 2013
- Emerging Law on FHA/ADA Claims in the Construction Industry - Harmonie GroupConstruction Law Seminar - New York, NY, August 24, 2011
- Emerging Law in FHA/ADA claims - Standing and State Law Claims for Contribution and IndemnityHarmonie Dallas Construction Meeting - Dallas, TX, June 27, 2011
- Emerging Law on FHA/ADA Claims: Standing and State Law Claims for Contribution/IndemnityHarmonie Group Construction Seminar - Chicago, IL, June 6, 2011
- Law and the Profession of EngineeringOhio Professional Engineers - Cleveland, OH, April 20, 2011
- Emerging Law in Contribution and IndemnityDRI – For the Defense September 2011 Issue, September 1, 2011
- Does a Municipality Really Enjoy Absolute Immunity from Subrogation Claims - Ohio Association of Civil Trial AttorneysSummer 2011 Quarterly Review, July 15, 2011
- January 1, 2010
- "Defense of Claims with Insurance Implications"Construction Law Client Strategies Aspiratory Books 2007, April 5, 2007
- Ohio Supreme Court Rules That Construction Defects in the Work of Subcontractors Are Not Covered Under a CGL PolicyBy Joseph E. Cavasinni and Timothy B. SpilleOctober 11, 2018
- A Contractor's Liability to an Independent Contractor Requires the Contractor's Active ParticipationOctober 23, 2007