J.D., Case Western Reserve University School of Law, 1998
B.A., King's College, 1995
- Dean's List
- State of Ohio
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
For my clients, litigation is not a process - it is personal. Whether my client is a large business concern, a nationally renowned medical provider or a fledgling business trying to make it through the year, they entrust their problems to me. I listen to their concerns, provide my personal insights and work with them to develop a plan of action and see it through to the end. Common sense perspectives and well defined goals yield the results they need and allow them to focus their time and energy on what matters most to them: their families, patients and businesses.
David has devoted his entire legal career to litigation. He has extensive experience in complex commercial, medical malpractice and long term care matters. He has represented Ohio businesses in litigation involving contractual obligations and unfair competition. In a commercial matter, after seven years of intense litigation, David prevailed at trial as co-counsel on behalf of 270,000 Ohio employers, obtaining a judgment for the return of $859 million dollars, leading to resolution after trial.
David also defends hospitals and physicians in numerous specialties as well as skilled nursing and assisted living facilities. Throughout his career he has successfully litigated hundreds of lawsuits, many involving commercial claims, medical malpractice, nursing home negligence and hospital liability. He has served as first chair counsel in more than 50 jury trials throughout Ohio.
David is also a frequent speaker on issues of litigation and risk management, and has been featured numerous times in the media on such matters. David is a Member of the Commercial Litigation, Medical Malpractice and Long Term Care Practice Groups.
Honors & Recognitions
(CME) Nurses on Trial, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, West Region, Marymount Hospital, 2006
Computer Animation in the Courtroom, Philadelphia Bench Bar Conference, 2006
(CME) Anatomy of a Lawsuit, Lake Hospital Systems, Inc., Lake West Hospital, 2006
(CLE) Medical Malpractice: Perspectives of Hospital Defense, Cleveland State University School of Law, 2005
(CLE) Medical Malpractice: Issues of Informed Consent, Cleveland State University School of Law, 2005
Problems with the Pennsylvania System of Funding Higher Education, Pennsylvania General Assembly, Committee on Higher Education, 1994
Recognized as a Rising Star by Ohio Super Lawyers Magazine
2016 Top Lawyers Central Ohio, Columbus CEO Magazine
Professional Memberships & Community Affiliations
Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
Ohio State Bar Association
- Karen R. Taylor, et. al., v. Pavan K. Punukollu, M.D., et al.,August 22, 2019, Defense VerdictU.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
Defense of medical malpractice claim against neuroradiologist alleging failure to recognize indications of spinal epidural abscess on MRI.
- Estate of Copeland v. Matthew Colflesh, MD, et al.June 5, 2019, Defense VerdictJefferson County Court of Common Pleas
Defended internal medicine/ attending physician in case alleging wrongful death of 33 year old high school track coach from pulmonary embolus.
- Starner v. John Scott DeLong, MDJanuary 17, 2017, Defense VerdictFairfield County Court of Common Pleas
Defended OB/GYN in case alleging permanent brachial plexus injury due to shoulder dystocia.
- E/O Reed v. M. Aljaberi, M.D., et al.January 26, 2016, Defense VerdictStark
Defense of medical malpractice, wrongful death claim
- Douglas Wade Page vs. Bradley H. Crombie, M.D., et al.May 27, 2015, Defense VerdictSummit
Defense of delayed diagnosis in medical malpractice claim
- Garris v. Musser, M.D., et al.January 30, 2015, Defense VerdictTrumbull
Defense of catastrophic surgical medical malpractice claim.
- Medical Board of State of Ohio v. Jane Doe, M.D.September 9, 2014, Complaint dismissedFranklin
Defense of physician in medical board administrative investigation
- Estate of William Neckermann v. Ohio Spine Center, Inc. et al.May 27, 2014, Defense VerdictSummit
Defense of anesthesiologist in wrongful death medical malpractice claim involving allegation of inappropriately monitoring following spine surgery.
- San Allen Inc., v. Buehrer2014 -Ohio- 2071 (8th Dist.)8th Appellate Dist
- Flynn v. Fairview Retirement Village2013-Ohio-569 (8th Dist.)8th Appellate Dist
- Flynn v. Fairview Retirement Village2012-Ohio-2582 (Sup. Ct.)Ohio Supreme Court
- San Allen Inc., v. Buehrer2011-Ohio- 1676 (8th Dist.)8th Appellate Dist
- Grey v. Walgreens Co.2011-Ohio-6167 (8th Dist.)8th Appellate Dist
- State Farm Mut. Ins. V. GraceState Farm Mut. Ins. V. Grace, 2009Ohio Supreme Court
- Hazard v. Klein2007-Ohio-367 (9th Dist.)9th Appellate Dist.
- Sigmon v. Southwest General Health Center2007-Ohio-2117 (8th Dist.)8th Appellate Dist
- Dasch v. Lake Hospital Systems, Inc.2006-Ohio-6691 (11th Dist.)11th Appellate District
- Czarney v. Porter2006-Ohio-2471 (8th Dist.)8th Appellate Dist
- Cohen v. Meridia Health Systems2006-Ohio-3593 (8th Dist.)8th Appellate Dist
- Barry v. Kriss2001 WL 587497 (Ohio 8 Dist.)8th Appellate Dist
- Press Release, February 27, 2014
- Leadership Checkpoint: Analyzing Your Team Healthcare CommunicationsThe Doctors’ Company - Central Ohio Insureds, Columbus, OH, October 21, 2016
- One Click Away Risks of EHRMid-Ohio Association of TDC Insured Physicians, Columbus, OH, September 9, 2015