J.D., Ohio Northern University, Graduation with Distinction, 2011
-Symposium Editor, Ohio Northern Law Review, 2010-2011
B.A., English, University of North Florida, Summa Cum Laude, 2007
- State of Ohio, 2011
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio, 2012
My father always advised "be sure you're right, and then go ahead." It is with this attitude of preparation and dedication that I approach every legal problem I face so that I can effectively and efficiently represent my clients' interests.
Acacia is passionate about representing health care professionals and institutions and has extensive experience in complex medical malpractice and long-term care matters. She has successfully represented physicians, nurses, hospitals, and long-term care facilities in state and federal courts throughout Ohio.
When she is not in the courtroom, Acacia also brings her legal expertise to small business owners, including craft breweries, in protecting their intellectual property, negotiating distribution agreements, and navigating the Ohio liquor control laws. She has assisted multiple clients negotiate multi-million-dollar transactions.
Acacia is a shareholder in Reminger’s Columbus office, and has litigated cases in state and federal court throughout Ohio. She has experience handling all aspects of litigation, including pre-suit investigation, pleadings, discovery, motion practice, trial preparation and trial.
Acacia graduated with distinction from Ohio Northern University’s law school, and served as the Law Review Symposium Editor from 2010-2011. During law school, Acacia clerked for an insurance defense law firm and worked as a judicial extern for the Southern District of Ohio for the honorable Gregory L. Frost and also as a judicial extern for the Ohio Third District Court of Appeals for the honorable Richard Rogers.
Aside from her legal practice, Acacia serves as Co-Chair of Reminger's Women's Leadership Council, and is active in the legal community as a member of the Columbus Bar Association, and Ohio Women's Bar Association. Additionally, she is on the board of directors of Ohio’s first certified B-Corp. brewery, Commonhouse Ales. Acacia is originally from Pataskala, Ohio, where her family operates a large horse farm. Acacia continues to participate in the equine industry as an active rider with the United States Equestrian Federation.
Honors & Recognitions
Recognized as a Rising Star by Ohio Super Lawyers Magazine
Professional Memberships & Community Affiliations
Columbus Bar Association
Ohio Women's Bar Association
United States Equestrian Federation
-Member and Active Rider
4word Columbus, a 501(c)(3) faith based organization for professional women
My Sister's Place, a 501(c)(3) created to provide safe and sober housing for women in transition
-Former Member of Board of Directors
Obtained affirmation of summary judgment from 10thdistrict Court of appeals in defense of $1M breach of contract claim levied against estate and trust by former business associate.
Obtained jury trial, defense verdict on behalf of OB/GYM in case alleging permanent brachial plexus injury due to shoulder dystocia.
Obtained jury trial, defense verdict on behalf of internal medicine/attending physician in wrongful death case of a 33-year-old from pulmonary embolus.
Obtained jury trial, defense verdict on behalf of neuroradiologist alleging failure to recognize indications of spinal epidural abscess on MRI.
Negotiated $7.5M distribution rights agreement for prominent beer distributor client with major manufacturer
Negotiated $6.8M distribution rights transfer agreement for prominent beer distributor client with major national distributor.
Obtained and maintain federal trademark protection with the United States Patent and Trademark Office for various small business owners, including craft breweries, clothing companies, and ballistic target practice companies.
"When there’s an issue, Acacia takes the time to understand my questions and responds clearly, citing options and implications. Acacia has a pleasant demeanor and thinks through issues before considering recommendations. She is very easy to work with."
"Mrs. Perko is truly a rising star. She is very sharp and smart."
“Acacia, was wonderfully proactive, collaborative, and responsive.”
-Peter, Senior Claims Examiner
- Estate of Dates Buckley v. Bashar Alawad, MD, et al.,November 1, 2019, Defense VerdictFranklin County Court of Common Pleas
Defense of medical malpractice wrongful death claim alleging failure to obtain cardiac workup in hospitalized patient with risk factors for coronary artery disease.
- Karen R. Taylor, et. al., v. Pavan K. Punukollu, M.D., et al.,August 22, 2019, Defense VerdictU.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
Defense of medical malpractice claim against neuroradiologist alleging failure to recognize indications of spinal epidural abscess on MRI.
- Estate of Copeland v. Matthew Colflesh, MD, et al.June 5, 2019, Defense VerdictJefferson County Court of Common Pleas
Defended internal medicine/ attending physician in case alleging wrongful death of 33 year old high school track coach from pulmonary embolus.
- Henry Dean Adkins, Sr. v. MedCentral Health System, et al.September 20, 2018, Motion For Summary Judgment GrantedFranklin County Court of Common Pleas
Defense of medical malpractice claim for alleged failure to diagnose subdural hematoma.
- Estate of Dorothy Rayburn, Deceased vs. Lawand Saadulah, MDApril 13, 2018, Defense VerdictDelaware
Defense of medical malpractice intensive care unit claim
- G.S., a minor v. John Scott Delong, D.O.January 19, 2018, Defense VerdictFairfield County Court of Common Pleas
Defense of obstetrician in medical malpractice brachial plexus injury claim.
- Amy Greenberg et al. v. Sherri Heyman-Silbiger, exec., et al.February 14, 2017, Summary Judgment Affirmed10th Appellate Dist
Defense of $1M breach of contract claim levied against estate and trust by former business associate.
- Starner v. John Scott DeLong, MDJanuary 17, 2017, Defense VerdictFairfield County Court of Common Pleas
Defended OB/GYN in case alleging permanent brachial plexus injury due to shoulder dystocia.
- J. Horne, et al., v. D. Jensen, DMDOctober 13, 2016, Defense VerdictFranklin
Defense of dental malpractice
- Press Release, December 5, 2018
- Tariffs are potential headache for brewersCrain's Cleveland Business, April 1, 2018
- Press Release, January 4, 2018
- Press Release, June 15, 2017
- Press Release, May 22, 2017
- Press Release, March 24, 2015
- Sharing our Experience: How Women's Initiatives Can Impact Your Legal Practice SettingOhio Association of Civil Trial Attorneys (OACTA) and the OACTA Women in the Law Committee, Columbus, OH, June 15, 2018
- Top 15 Legal Pitfalls for Breweries in Trademarks, Secrets and Non-CompetesOhio Craft Brewers Association Meeting, Cleveland, OH, January 25, 2017
- Trademarks, Trade Secrets and Non CompetesOhio Craft Brewers’ Association’s Annual Meeting, Columbus, OH, June 7, 2016
- Ohio Landlord Tenant Law, ADA and Fair Housing Act – Fundamentals for Property ManagersShowe Management Corp., Worthington, OH, March 10, 2016
- Navigating Trademark LawOhio Craft Brews Association Annual Meeting, Dayton, OH, February 3, 2016
- The Employer and Employee Estate Planning BenefitsBudenheim USA, Inc., Columbus, OH, October 28, 2015
- Urology Times, August 2019
- Urology Times, June 2019
- Urology Times, April 2019
- Urology Times, March 2019
- Urology Times, January 2019
- Urology Times, October 2018 Issue , October 2018
- Urology Times, August 2018 Issue, August 2018
- Columbus Bar Lawyers Quarterly, July 2016
- By Acacia M. Perko, Esq.March 29, 2016
- By Acacia PerkoOctober 26, 2015