- Law Clerk to the Honorable John Kessler, former Chief Judge of the Montgomery County Court of Common Pleas
J.D., University of Dayton, 1997
B.S., East Tennessee State University, magna cum laude, 1994
- State of Ohio, 1997
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio, 1997
- Commonwealth of Kentucky, 2005
I was taught at a young age to choose one thing, work hard, and be good at it. I chose to focus my legal practice on Workers’ Compensation. As your Attorney, I bring more than 15 years of experience to the table. I also pledge to my clients that I will work as hard for them as I would work for a family member. Above all else, I will strive to bring my clients the best result possible.
Since joining Reminger Co., L.P.A. in 2003, Shelby's practice has concentrated on the representation of self insured and state funded employers in the defense of workers' compensation claims. Shelby has successfully defended employers in thousands of Administrative Hearings before the Industrial Commission of Ohio.
Some of the issues that Shelby has successfully defended include: defending Employers in obtaining favorable outcomes in Permanent Total Disability Applications ("PTD"), Violations of Specific Safety Requirements ("VSSRs") and Mandamus Actions in the Tenth District Court of Appeals. Shelby has also successfully defended employers, and won before The Supreme Court of Ohio. Shelby has also successfully mediated cases in lieu of trial and she has also participated in bench and jury trials.
Shelby is a member of numerous professional bar associations. She has served as an adjunct professor at the University of Dayton School of Law, and has presented numerous educational seminars to employers and third party administrators on a variety of workers' compensation issues.
Honors & Recognitions
Graduate of the Ohio Women's Leadership Institute, Class of 2014
Recognized as a Rising Star and as a Super Lawyer by Ohio Super Lawyers Magazine
Champion, Walter Rice Moot Court Competition, 1995
Environmental Law Moot Court Team, 1996
Professional Memberships & Community Affiliations
Ohio State Bar Association
Kentucky Bar Association
Cincinnati Bar Association
Northern Kentucky Bar Association
Ohio Women's Bar Foundation
Ohio Women's Bar Association
University of Dayton School of Law, Legal Profession III, 2000
In the case of State ex rel. Lapp Roofing & Sheet Metal Co., Inc. v. Indus. Comm. The Supreme Court of Ohio reaffirmed their prior holding that in order to perfect an appeal under 4123.511 a party must substantially comply with the following four requirements: (1)the claimant and employer names, (2) the claim number, (3)the date of the decision appealed from, and (4)the fact that the appellant appeals therefrom. The Supreme Court of Ohio held that absolute compliance is not necessary, rather, if a party substantially complies with the provisions of 4123.511, that will be sufficient to perfect the appeal. State ex rel. Lapp Roofing & Sheet Metal Co., Inc. v. Indus. Comm.,117 Ohio St.3d 179, 2008-Ohio-850
- Werling v. Browning Ferris Industries of Ohio, Inc.November 23, 2010, Defense VerdictWarren
Plaintiff alleged 1996 injury aggravated pre-existing lumbar Degenerative Disc Disease
- June 14, 2010, DeniedOhio Industrial Commission
Claimant's motion for Scheduled Loss of 90% Loss of Vision DENIED.
- July 29, 2008, DeniedIndustrial Commission of Ohio
Claimant's Application for Permanent Total Disability benefits DENIED.
- March 5, 2008, AffirmedSupreme Court of Ohio
Defense of workers' compensation claim involving establishing the sufficiency of Notice of Appeal filed by unrepresented employer.
- Ohio Women's Bar Association Network Newsletter-Spring 2016 , May 9, 2016
- Press Release, December 2, 2015
- Press Release, December 3, 2014
- Selection Includes 30 Super Lawyers and 16 Rising Stars Across Ohio and KentuckyPress Release, December 5, 2013
- Press Release, September 27, 2013
- Press Release, December 16, 2011
- Cincinnati, OH, September 24, 2016
- Case Law UpdateColumbus, OH, September 21, 2016
- OSIA Conference-SponsorOhio Self Insured AssociationCincinnati, June 18, 2014
- The Issues of Course and Scope in the Allowability of a Workers’ Comp. ClaimCareWorks Consultants and Gallagher Bassett Claim Departments - Columbus, OH, October 13, 2011
- Overview of Workers' Compensation and Claim Investigation, Dollar General-Sedgwick-Attys and Claim Administrators MeetingColumbus, Ohio, October 6, 2008
- Fall 2010 Newsletter, October 14, 2010
- Development and Trends in Wage Loss Compensation for Ohio WorkersOctober 14, 2010