- Judicial Externship for the Honorable Patrick L. McCarty, Marion County Civil Division DO3
J.D., Indiana University School of Law, 2007
B.A., Northern Michigan University, cum laude, 2004
- State of Indiana, 2007
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana, 2007
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana, 2007
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit, 2010
My father taught me from a very young age that success is achieved by doing whatever it takes to obtain it. Today, as a lawyer, I use this early guidance to remind myself of the unwavering commitment my clients deserve. Clients expect results and I strive to obtain the best possible.
Nick serves as a shareholder in Reminger Co., L.P.A.’s Indianapolis Office. Nick is nearing a decade of litigation experience representing defendants in complex civil litigation. Nick has managed all phases of a variety of complex litigation in both State and Federal Court. He has extensive trial experience, having tried cases involving several medical disciplines as well as general liability & transportation risks. Nick has a broad legal practice, encompassing professional liability and licensing, including legal, dental, and medical malpractice defense, employment, product liability, municipal defense, trucking liability defense, and appellate practice. Prior to joining Reminger, Nick was a partner in a Northwest Indiana litigation firm.
Nick is known for his aggressive litigation style and zealous representation of his clients. As a Green Bay, Wisconsin native, he truly believes that “the price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand.”
Honors & Recognitions
Recognized as a Rising Star by Indiana Super Lawyers Magazine.
Achieved a defense verdict in a six day medical malpractice jury trial in Fulton County in October 2014.
Achieved a defense verdict in an eight day medical malpractice jury trial in Lake County in November of 2013.
Professional Memberships & Community Affiliations
Indiana Bar Association
Indianapolis Bar Association
Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana
Defense Research Institute
- Virginia Rudolph, et al. v. James J. Goodpaster, D.M.D., et al.November 18, 2016, Plaintiff VerdictMonroe County
Dental malpractice case alleging a dislocated jaw during tooth extractions
- Indiana Attorney General v. Anonymous Orthopedic PracticeJanuary 6, 2016, Complaint dismissedState of Indiana
Defense of Orthopedic Practice by medical board investigation for failure to provide emergency orthopedic care
- Charity Marie Golden vs. S. Khan, M.D., et al.December 23, 2015, Complaint dismissedMarion County, IN
Defense of alleged negligent psychiatric care case
- Jovanka Kecman v. G. Kumar, M.D., et al.November 2, 2015, Complaint dismissedPorter County, IN
Defense of medical malpractice case involving multiple hospital falls
- James A. Martin v. Scientific Games CorporationsSeptember 28, 2015, Complaint dismissedShelby County, IN
Defense of product liability claim
- Ida B. Coleman vs. Webb HyundaiAugust 11, 2015, Complaint dismissedLake County, Indiana
Defense of negligent servicing claim
- Beryle George v. M. Heit, M.D., et al.July 29, 2015, Motion For Summary Judgment GrantedMarion County, IN
Defense of medical malpractice claim alleging urethral tear during cystoscopy.
- Randall W. Crowe and Teresa S. Crowe v. S. Ward, M.D., et al.July 13, 2015, Motion to Dismiss GrantedHendricks County, Indiana
Defense of medical malpractice case involving alleged traumatic brain injury as a result of an anaphylactic reaction during a colonoscopy.
- Estate of Caiden Carroll v. W. Moore, M.D., et al.February 24, 2015, Motion For Summary Judgment GrantedGrant County, Indiana
Defense of medical malpractice wrongful death case involving stillborn infant during caesarian delivery.
- J. Muzella v. T. Gossweiler, DDS, et al.February 13, 2015, Finding For DefendantHamilton Cty., IN
Arbitration defense of dental liability.
- Paul Lefebvre, v. Defendant Hospital, et al.November 2014, Settled the week before trial for 20% of initial demandPutnam County Superior Court, Greencastle, Indiana
Plaintiff alleged hospital negligently failed to have a policy or procedure for treating patients with acute chest pain causing plaintiff to have a myocardial infarction while awaiting transfer to another hospital
- Melody & George Spaulding, v. Defendant Internist, et al.October 2014, Defense Verdict (6 Day Trial)Fulton County Circuit Court Rochester, Indiana
Plaintiff alleged family practice physician negligently prescribed Augmentin to a patient with a penicillin allergy allegedly causing hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy and short-term memory loss. Jury Demand: $800,000.
- Judith Cooley v. Defendant Neurosurgeon, et al.November 2013, Defense Verdict (8 Day trial)Lake Superior Court Crown Point, Indiana
Plaintiff alleged neurosurgeon negligently performed a cervical discectomy and posterior laminectomy causing permanent paralysis and eventual leg amputation. Jury Demand: $2,500,000.
- Svetlana Kuzmanovic v. Defendant EndodontistFebruary 2013, Defense VerdictLake County Superior Court Crown Point, Indiana
Plaintiff alleged endodontist negligently drilled hole in the incorrect tooth causing damage to a pre-existing bridge and requiring significant reconstruction.
- Cheri Westra v. Defendant Maxillofacial ProstodontistSeptember 2012, Defense VerdictPorter County Superior Court Valparaiso, Indiana
Plaintiff alleged prostodontist negligently created her dentures and refused to refund her money.
- Rendina v. Defendant Endocrinologist, et al.August 2012, Motion For Summary Judgment GrantedLake Superior Court East Chicago, Indiana
Defense of endocrinology practice for a prescription error
- Julianna Bodner v. Defendant Law Firm, et al.April 2012, Motion For Summary Judgment GrantedLake County Superior Court Gary, Indiana
Defense of legal malpractice claim for failing to timely file a complaint arising out of an automobile collision, causing property damage and bodily injury
- Alice Cruz v. Defendant Orthopedic Surgeon, et al.November 2011, Plaintiff VerdictLake County Superior Court Gary, Indiana
Plaintiff alleged defendant orthopaedic practice’s x-ray technologist breached the standard of care in her assessment of patient who fell during a standing x-ray and suffered catastrophic injuries.
- Carr Development Group, LLC v. Defendant Law Firm, et al.September 2011, Motion For Summary Judgment GrantedKosciusko Superior Court Warsaw, Indiana
Defense of legal malpractice claim for failing to obtain approval of a sewer cost-recapture agreement, causing $300,000 in damages
- Sandra Shrader v. Defendant Urologist, et al.May 28, 2011, Settled during trial for 20% of initial demandLake County Superior Court Crown Point, Indiana
Plaintiff alleged defendant urologist breached the standard of care during a kidney stone removal procedure that resulted in a perforated ureter.
- Joseph Brewster v. Defendant Law Firm, et al.April 2011, Motion to Dismiss GrantedMadison County Superior Court Anderson, Indiana
Defense of legal malpractice claim for failing to properly represent plaintiff in an estate, trust, real property and lease matter
- Lorenzo Borders v. Defendant Judge, et al.March 2011, Denial of TransferIndiana Supreme Court
Defense of legal malpractice and false arrest/false imprisonment claim dismissed and ruled frivolous by the trial court. The plaintiff appealed, and on June 16, 2010, the Indiana Court of Appeals affirmed the dismissal, including the trial court’s findings that the complaint was frivolous. The Indiana Supreme Court then denied transfer on March 29, 2011.
- Patricia Dixon-Darden v. Municipal Corporation, et al.February 2011, Settled Friday before trial for less than 1% of initial demandLake County Superior Court, East Chicago, Indiana
Plaintiff alleged the defendants negligently maintained a sidewalk causing her to fall and suffer significant injuries.
- Gateway Arthur d/b/a The Village Shopping Center v. Utility CompanyJanuary 2011, Settled the day before trial. Gateway assumed cost of installing new conduit and electrical fixturesLake County Superior Court Gary, Indiana
Plaintiff alleged utility company was responsible for interruption in service and cost to install new conduit and other electrical fixtures for utility service at The Village Shopping Center.
- Indiana Disciplinary Commission v. Defendant AttorneyJanuary 2011, Attorney Grievance DismissedIndiana Disciplinary Commission
Defense of grievance for alleged improper distribution of an estate.
- Sandra Bruce v. Defendant Internist, et al.January 2011, Motion For Summary Judgment GrantedLake County Superior Court Gary, Indiana
Defense of medical malpractice claim for alleged prescription caused death
- Indiana Disciplinary Commission v. Defendant AttorneyOctober 16, 2010, Attorney Grievance DismissedIndiana Disciplinary Commission
Defense of grievance filed for alleged failure to comply with the applicable rules of professional conduct.
- Attorney General/Indiana Professional Licensing Agency v. Defendant NeonatologistJuly 2010, Licensing Complaint Dismissed
Defense of licensing complaint filed by agency for failure to report settlement.
- William Martin v. Defendant Radiologist, et al.July 2010, Summary Judgment GrantedLaPorte Superior Court LaPorte, Indiana
Defense of medical malpractice claim for alleged failure to diagnose pancreatic cancer.
- Nancy Spebar v. Defendant Municipal Corporation, et al.July 2010, Summary Judgment GrantedUnited States District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
Defense of federal claim against City and police officer for alleged authorized entry into a home without a warrant in search of a missing boy; and for injuries to the plaintiff.
- Medical Group v. Robert Cornwell, M.D.June 2010, Judgment for Medical GroupLake Superior Court Hammond, Indiana
Prosecution of a breach of contract claim on behalf of a medical group against former employee after he breached his employment contract, in part by using the group’s funds for personal expenditures.
- James Sumrall v. Defendant DentistDecember 2009, Defense VerdictLake County Superior Court Crown Point, Indiana
Plaintiff alleged that defendant dentist breached the standard of care during his restorations of carious lesions.
- Frances Pantano v. Defendant Neurologist, et al.October 2009, Dismissed at pre-trial conferenceLake County Superior Court Crown Point, Indiana
Plaintiff alleged neurologist breached the standard of care during her treatment.
- Scott and Rhonda Smith v. Defendant DentistMay 2009, Defense VerdictLake County Superior Court Crown Point, Indiana
Plaintiff alleged dentist breached the standard of care during his dental treatment of the plaintiffs.
- Connie Powell v. Defendant Family Practice Physician, et al.January 2009, Defense VerdictLake County Superior Court Crown Point, Indiana
Plaintiff alleged that the defendants breached the standard of care in treating her fractured left arm.
- Thomas Dykiel v. Defendant Plastic Surgeon, et al.January 2009, Dismissed at trialLake County Superior Court Crown Point, Indiana
Plaintiff alleged that plastic surgeon wrongfully withheld a patient’s insurance funds.
- Sarah Smith-Olson v. Defendant OrthodontistJanuary 28, 2009, Defense VerdictLake County Superior Court Crown Point, Indiana
Plaintiff alleged that defendant Orthodontist breached the standard of care by leaving a deciduous tooth in place.
- Rhonda, Arden and Steven Smith v. Defendant DentistJanuary 2009, Defense VerdictLake County Superior Court Crown Point, Indiana
Plaintiff alleged that defendant dentist breached the standard of care during his dental treatment of the plaintiffs.
- Barbara Pettenio v. Defendant GastroenterologistAugust 28, 2008, Defense VerdictLake County Superior Court Crown Point, Indiana
Plaintiff alleged that defendant gastroenterologist breached the standard of care in failing to appropriately perform an endoscopy.
- Press Release, February 16, 2017
- AMBestTV, October 29, 2016
- Logan C. Hughes and Nicholas G. Brunette Selected as 2016 “Rising Stars” by Indiana Super Lawyers MagazinePress Release, February 12, 2016
- Press Release, September 30, 2015
- Press Release, February 13, 2015
- Press Release, February 2, 2015
- Press Release, January 19, 2015
- Catastrophic Damages in a Depressed EconomyDefense Research Institute Annual Meeting, Boston, MA, November 2, 2016
- Indiana Wrongful Death NuancesZurich Major Case Unit, Schaumburg, IL, December 4, 2015
- Wrongful Death TrinityZurich North America, Schaumburg, IL, December 4, 2015
- Objective Foreseeability: Indiana Continues to Broaden the Foreseeability Analysis in Premises Liability CasesBy Houston A. Hum and Nicholas G. BrunetteJuly 26, 2017