J.D., Ohio State University, 2005
- Moot Court-Herman Intra-School Moot Court Competition, 2004
- Moot Court-William E. McGee National Civil Rights Competition, 2005
- George R. Beneman Memorial Award for Outstanding Performance in Moot Court, 2005
Ohio State Journal of Criminal Law, 2003-2005
B.A., Capital University, 2002
- Merle Brown Award for Outstanding Service in Intercollegiate Debate, 2002
- State of Ohio, 2005
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio, 2005
- U.S. Court of Appeals of the Sixth District, 2007
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio, 2009
I am passionate about service. I understand that excellent service extends not only to my clients, but also to the community in which I live.
Melvin is a shareholder in the Columbus office of Reminger Co., LPA, focusing his legal practice in several areas including personal injury, employment, government liability and professional negligence. Additionally, Melvin has extensive experience in appellate matters, including representing clients before Appellate Courts throughout Ohio, the Ohio Supreme Court and the U.S. Sixth Circuit. In addition to his work with Reminger, Melvin serves on the Executive Board as Legal Counsel for Kids Voting of Central Ohio, which is a non-profit organization dedicated to creating lifelong, informed voters among todays youth.
Melvin is originally from Akron, Ohio but moved to Columbus to attend college at Capital University. As a college student, Melvin was a member of the basketball team, editor of the school newspaper and the recipient of the Merle Brown Award for Excellence in Intercollegiate Debate. Melvin attended law school at The Ohio State University, where he was a member of the Civil Rights Moot Court Team and won Second Best Brief in the national competition. He was also ranked as a top ten speaker out of sixty participants.
Melvin is a member of a number of professional organizations. In addition to his legal career, Melvin is committed to the community and enjoys the opportunity to use his experience to help others. He is a member of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc., and frequently speaks to high school and college students about career choices.
Honors & Recognitions
Recognized as a Rising Star by Ohio Super Lawyers Magazine
Professional Memberships & Community Affiliations
Ohio Bar Association
Columbus Bar Association
Kids Voting Central Ohio, Board of Trustees
Skye Forney Foundation, Inc. (Ohio Urban Debate)
City of Columbus Records Commission
Kids Voting Central Ohio, Board of Trustees
- September 12, 2017, Judgment Affirmed4th Appellate Dist
Plaintiffs appealed adverse trial court judgment in claim by homeowners alleging trespass and negligence by school district for fronting damages to their residences.
- Krivda v. Pickerington Local School Dist. et. alMarch 1, 2017, Defense VerdictFairfield
Defense of employment practices claim for governmental entity claiming discrimination based on national origin
- February 6, 2017, Summary Judgment Affirmed12th Appellate Dist
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment in personal injury claim
- Whitson, et al. v. One Stop Rental Tool and PartyMarch 18, 2016, Motion For Summary Judgment GrantedPreble
Defense of personal injury claim due to bounce house rental
- September 22, 2015, Judgment Affirmed10th Appellate Dist
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court verdict in wrongful death claim against youth camp run by church
- June 16, 2015, Denied, Court of Appeals Judgment affirmedOhio Supreme Court
Plaintiff appealed adverse court of appeals decision re permanent total disability requests writ of mandamus to require Industrial Commission to issue order in his favor
- February 6, 2015, Reversed6th Appellate Dist
Governmental defendant appealed adverse trial court judgment granting fire chief judgment for wrongful termination.
- October 24, 2014, Judgment Affirmed2nd Appellate Dist
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment in commercial transportation, personal injury claim.
- March 31, 2014, Judgment Affirmed7th Appellate Dist
Plaintiff (Ohio BWC) appealed adverse trial court judgment in its assertion of subrogation lien of benefits paid by virtue of industrial accident
- T. Amoako-Okyere, Special Admr. of E/O James McCoy, III v. Church of Messiah United Methodists ChurchFebruary 27, 2014, Defense VerdictLogan
Defense of wrongful death church/nonprofit negligent liability claim
- May 16, 2013, Judgment Affirmed10th Appellate Dist
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment in hospital malpractice claim
- E/O Henry Pytlik v. Zandex Health CareMay 6, 2013, Favorable OutcomeBelmont
Defense of wrongful death assisted living facility claim
- Cathy Donoho, Extrx. v. Kenny Houston Masonry Co.April 19, 2013, Plaintiff VerdictFranklin (Industrial Commission)
Workers’ comp administrative prosecution of claim of specific safety requirements violation (VSSR claim)
- April 8, 2013, Judgment Affirmed3rd Appellate Dist.
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment in medical malpractice claim
- State Farm Mutual Auto Ins. Co. v. Anders and Celadon TruckingMarch 1, 2012, Judgment Affirmed10th Appellate Dist
Trucking company appealed adverse trial court judgment in property damage claim
- September 7, 2011, Judgment Affirmed9th Appellate Dist.
Defendant appealed applicability of statutory subrogee statute of limitation period whether 2 years or 6 years.
- Noel Christian, Admr., et al. v. Wal-Mart Stores East, LPJuly 13, 2011, Judgment Affirmed5th Appellate Dist
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment in wrongful death claim in commercial premises liability
- September 1, 2009, AffirmedSupreme Court of Ohio
a) The certified question is answered in Corrigan v. Illum. Co., 122 Ohio St.3d 265, 2009-Ohio-2524, 910 N.E.2d 1009, and the judgment of the court of appeals is affirmed.
- Hartford Fire Insurance Co. & The Daimler Group v. E. Tatman, et alJanuary 12, 2009, Finding For PlaintiffFranklin
Arbitration -Prosecution of Plaintiff property damage subrogation claim in auto collision liability circumstance.
- September 23, 2008, Reversed and Remanded10th Appellate Dist
The Court of Appeals, T. Bryant, J., held that: i) genuine issues of material fact precluded summary judgment to teenagers.
- Dayton III - Oxford Assoc. v. TL Palms Painting Contractor, Inc.July 13, 2007, Plaintiff VerdictMontgomery
Prosecution of construction liability property damage claim by owner developer against painting subcontractor.
- Press Release, December 6, 2017
- Press Release, December 2, 2016
- Press Release, December 2, 2015
- Press Release, December 3, 2014
- Press Release, October 7, 2014
- Press Release, February 14, 2014
- Selection Includes 30 Super Lawyers and 16 Rising Stars Across Ohio and KentuckyPress Release, December 5, 2013
- Press Release, November 21, 2012
- Providing Exemplary Client Service and Avoidance of Legal MalpracticeGilbride and Company CLE, Columbus, OH, November 17, 2016
- Rules and Regulations Differences that Apply to Assisted Living Facilities and Nursing HomesEagle International Associates – Church Mutual In-House Seminar, Merrill, WI, June 22, 2016
- Jury Voir Dire in a Faith Based Institutional Personal Injury ClaimEagle International Associates Church Mutual Seminar, Merrill, WI, June 25, 2015
- Senior Assisted Living Community Risks and Registered Sex OffendersChurch Mutual Insurance Co. Seminar - Merrill, WI, June 18, 2014
- Watch a Doctor Get Sued: A Live Medicolegal SimulationSociety for Academic Emergency Medicine Annual Meeting - Dallas, TX, May 15, 2014
- Ohio’s Rules Governing Professional Responsibility and EthicsCLE of Tom Gilbride and Co. - Columbus, OHNovember 18, 2013
- Ohio’s Rules Governing Lawyers Professional Responsibility and Ethics - Gilbride & Company CLE Attorney Seminar - Columbus, OHOctober 20, 2011
- Claims Management Challenges – Bad Faith Claims and Prejudgment InterestBig Lots CEU Institute - Columbus, OH, May 18, 2011
- Ohio's Premises Liability LawOctober 5, 2009
- The EEOC: "Pro-Business" and Protections Afforded to Minority EmployeesNational Bar Association Magazine, July 2017
- Published Case, June 19, 2017
- State ex. rel. Maddox v. Lincoln Hts., 147 Ohio St. 3d 213, 2016-Ohio-5001, December 5, 2016
- Participant’s death at church camp as a result of “choking game” prank cannot be the basis for liability by church unless surrounding circumstances made it foreseeableAmoako-Okyere, Admr. v. Church of Messiah United Methodist Church, 2015-Ohio-3841, February 15, 2016
- Published case: State Ex. Rel. Lacroix v. Industrial Commission 144 Ohio St. 3d 17, 2015-Ohio-2313, December 15, 2015
- Estimate of cost of repair is property admitted as evidence under business records exception to hearsay ruleState Farm Mut. Auto Ins. Co. v. Anders and Celadon Trucking 197 Ohio App.3d 22, 2012-Ohio-824, May 14, 2012
- Published Case: State ex rel. Donohoe v. Kenny Hutson Co.130 Ohio St.3d 360, 2011-Ohio-5798, March 15, 2012
- VSSR Violation Claim in Workers Compensation Requires the Hearing Officer to Specifically Outline the Evidence Relied Upon for DecisionDecember 12, 2011
- Bureau of Workers’ Compensation is a statutory subrogee and has a 6 year statute of limitation in which to bring a claim for subrogation recoveryOhio Bureau of Workers' Compensation v. McKinley, et al. 130 Ohio St.3d. 156, 2011-Ohio-4432, November 28, 2011
- A utilities right of way cannot be impeded by the property ownerOctober 26, 2009
- July 21, 2009
- "Joint Enterprise Within the Doctrine of Imputed Negligence is the Joint Prosecution of a Common Purpose"January 26, 2009