- Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas
- Ohio Eighth District Court of Appeals
J.D., The Ohio State University College of Law, 1994
- Ohio State Journal of Dispute Resolution, 1993-1994
- ABA National Moot Court Team, 1994
B.A., Political Science, American University, Washington, D.C., 1991
- State of Ohio, 1994
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio, 2001
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, 2001
- United States Supreme Court, 2009
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, 2015
To me, the client’s concerns must always be paramount. We are hired by our clients to get results. I will do everything I can to obtain those results in the most efficient manner possible.
Marty, a shareholder with the firm, is Co-Chairman of Reminger’s Appellate Practice Group.
Since joining Reminger in 2001, Marty's practice has focused on appellate law, professional liability, and business and employment litigation.
Marty practices in state courts throughout the State of Ohio, including the Ohio Supreme Court, as well as in federal courts in Ohio and elsewhere. He has tried dozens of lawsuits, both jury and bench trials, including employment cases, legal malpractice, shareholder and partnership disputes, insurance coverage, and U.S.C. § 1983 litigation. Marty has briefed and/or argued over 100 cases in the Ohio Court of Appeals, including appeals in almost every Ohio appellate district, The Ohio Supreme Court, as well as the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the United States Supreme Court.
Marty has developed another niche handling employment cases where a preliminary injunction order and/or a temporary restraining order is sought to require enforcement of a covenant not to compete, having handled over a dozen of such matters in the last five years. These cases often become "mini-trials" for which only a short period of preparation time is permitted.
Marty frequently lectures on various topics, including legal writing, the Rules of Evidence, professional liability issues, appellate practice, and legal ethics.
Honors & Recognitions
Recognized as a Rising Star and as a Super Lawyer by Ohio Super Lawyer Magazine
Rated AV® Preeminent™: Very Highly Rated in Both Legal Ability and Ethical Standards by Martindale Hubbell Peer Review
Recipient of 2016 Presidential Citation Award, The Academy of Medicine of Cleveland & Northern Ohio (AMCNO)
Professional Memberships & Community Affiliations
Ohio State Bar Association
Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Trevor Sheehan v. ProMedica Health System, et al.September 11, 2017, Judgment Affirmed3rd Appellate Dist.
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court in medical malpractice claim
- July 3, 2017, Reversed6th Appellate Dist
Defendant appealed adverse trial court judgment in wrongful death medical malpractice case
- Portee, et al. v. Cleveland Clinic Foundation, et al.March 20, 2017, Reversed and Remanded8th Appellate Dist
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment in medical malpractice claim
- June 19, 2015, Judgment Affirmed6th Appellate Dist
Plaintiff appealed defense verdict in medical malpractice wrongful death claim
- September 19, 2014, Reversed6th Appellate Dist
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment in wrongful death long term care claim
- January 17, 2014, Judgment Affirmed6th Appellate Dist
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment in claim for permanent disability benefits under disability policy.
- E/O Boyd v. Lourexis, Inc., et al.February 27, 2013, Court Denied JurisdictionOhio Supreme Court
Wrongful death plaintiff appealed Court of Appeals decision affirming trial court dismissal of claim of negligent security consultation purportedly leading to shooting death at apartment complex.
- Ebner v. Sandusky Zoning Board of AppealsAugust 21, 2012, Finding For Plaintiff and Prohibiting Enforcement of Cease and Desist OrderErie
Successful prosecution of appeal of cease and desist order received by client property owner regarding newly issued ordinance on rentals
- Estate of Wood v. Harborside Health CareJanuary 19, 2012, Reversed8th Appellate Dist
Estate of deceased resident appealed adverse trial court judgment in wrongful death for alleged failure to timely diagnose and treat resident’s infection claim.
- Charles J. Ozvath v. The Buckeye Union Insurance CompanyNovember 11, 2011, Reversed and Remanded2nd Appellate Dist
Defendant appealed adverse trial court’s finding of coverage of duty to defend and attorney fees.
- October 11, 2011, Judgment Affirmed11th Appellate Dist
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment in wrongful death drowning premises liability claims
- May 26, 2011, Judgment Affirmed8th Appellate Dist
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment in personal injury claim as a spectator at son’s hockey practice
- May 18, 2011, ReversedSupreme Court of Ohio
Defendant appeals Court of Appeals finding of Attorney-Client relationship with corporation when attorney only hired by dissident shareholder/ director
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Assn. v. Carolyn Ranke, Esq.November 4, 2010, Favorable OutcomeCuyahoga
Defense of disciplinary charge involving multiple claimed violations
- Jaques v. Manton 125 Ohio St. 3d 342, 2010-Ohio-1838May 4, 2010, Judgment ReversedOhio Supreme Court
We appeal trial court and Court of Appeals’ preclusion of evidence of Plaintiff’s medical bills portion of “write-off”.
- Charles Ozvath v. CNA Ins. Co.October 8, 2009, Favorable OutcomeMontgomery
Defense of coverage duty to defense claim.
- June 30, 2009, Affirmed9th Appellate Dist.
Affirming summary judgment against Plaintiff regarding FMLA and sex discrimination claims.
- Netsoft Inc. v. Thermafab Alloys Inc.June 25, 2009, Plaintiff VerdictCuyahoga
Defense of commercial litigation involving technology services
- Outlaw v. WernerMay 21, 2009, Affirmed8th Appellate Dist
Affirming summary judgment in favor of Defendant regarding a claim for defamation and intentional infliction of emotional distress
- February 5, 2009, Affirmed8th Appellate Dist
Affirming summary judgement against Plaintiff since voicemails did not rise to level of intentional infliction of emotional distress
- November 10, 2008, Reversed5th Appellate Dist
Reversing denial of Defendant insurance company's motion for leave to file amended answer
- Martin v. HixenbaughOctober 20, 2008, Affirmed3rd Appellate Dist.
Affirming summary judgment in favor of Defendants regarding medical malpractice claim since it was not reasonably foreseeable that patient would cancel her cancer insurance based on physicians erroneous interpretation of CT scan.
- September 19, 2008, Affirmed6th Appellate Dist
Affirming certificationof class in a breach of warranty suit against Defendant automobile manufacturer.
- June 12, 2008, Affirmed8th Appellate Dist
Affirming jury verdict in favor of Defendant in medical malpractice and wrongful death suit
- February 14, 2008, Affirmed8th Appellate Dist
Affirming dismissal of Plantiffs medical malpractice suit
- November 15, 2007, Affirmed8th Appellate Dist
Affirming dismissal of Plaintiffs medical malpractice suit based upon statute of limitations
- August 9, 2007, Affirmed8th Appellate Dist
Motion for JNOV regarding Plaintiffs retaliation claim and affirming Plaintiffs damages award for employment
- August 8, 2007, ReversedSupreme Court of Ohio
Reversing denial of Defendant's motion to dismiss since active participation in litigation did not waive affirmative defense of insufficiency of service of process.
- June 7, 2007, Affirmed8th Appellate Dist
Affirming dismissal of Plaintiffs defamation and intentional infliction of emotional distress claims against former employer
- March 21, 2007, Affirmed9th Appellate Dist.
Affirming summary judgment in favor of Defendant since Plaintiffs claims for wrongful death and personal injury were time-barred
- Press Release, December 2, 2016
- Press Release, April 18, 2016
- Press Release, December 2, 2015
- Press Release, December 3, 2014
- Selection Includes 30 Super Lawyers and 16 Rising Stars Across Ohio and KentuckyPress Release, December 5, 2013
- Press Release, December 17, 2012
- Ohio Supreme Court Rejects Attempt to Prosecute Medical Malpractice Lawsuit Without Expert TestimonyDecember 8, 2011
- Voir Dire and Jury Selection StrategiesOhio State Bar Assn. CLE, Cleveland, OH, September 27, 2017
- American Trial of Roger CasementKings Inn Irish American Law Society, Dublin, Ireland, November 6, 2016
- Building Your Civil Litigation SkillsCleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Cleveland, OH, October 17, 2016
- Recent and Pending Supreme Court Decisions Affecting Medical MalpracticeMedical Protective Ohio Panel Counsel and Insured Physicians, Columbus, OH, August 16, 2016
- Overview of the Ohio Consumer Sales Practices Act and Motor Vehicle LawOhio State Bar Association CLE, Cleveland, OH, August 21, 2015
- Gathering Evidence to Build Your Case and the Role of Insurance Policies in Business DisputesNational Business Institute, Cleveland, OH, March 27, 2015
- 2012 Revisions to Ohio Consumer Sales Practices ActOhio State Bar Assn. CLE, Beachwood, OH, October 31, 2014
- Employment Practices Liability and the Lawyer EmployerGilbride and Company – CLE Lawyer Seminar - Independence, OH, November 26, 2013
- Handling Rambo Litigators – Discovery and Deposition AbusesNational Business Institute CLE Seminar - Cleveland, OH, September 18, 2012
- Practical Discovery from A to ZNational Business Institute CLE Seminar - Cleveland, OH, September 23, 2011
- Independence, OH, December 9, 2010
- "Advanced Trial Tactics"- Effective Use of Exhibits- Effective Videotaped DepositionsCleveland Metropolitan Bar Association CLE Seminar. Cleveland,OH, April 1, 2010
- The Mechanics of Ohio Civil Procedure; Ohio State Bar Association CLECleveland, Ohio, September 25, 2008
- Published Case, September 11, 2017
- Published Case: Gallagher, Extr. v. Firelands Regional Medical Center 2017-Ohio-483Patient’s medical records including doctor’s hearsay statements were admissible under the business records exception of the hearsay rule, July 3, 2017
- Northern Ohio Physician, January 2017
- Irrespective of multiple workers’ compensation claims, Industrial Commission has discretion to grant Permanent Total Disability without apportionmentPublished case: State ex. rel. Turner Construction Co. v. Industrial Commission of Ohio, 142 Ohio St.3d 310, 2015-Ohio-1202, June 7, 2015
- Ozvath v. Buckeye Union Insurance Co. 196 Ohio App.3d 658, 2011-Ohio-5414, April 30, 2012
- Appellate Advocacy Practice Group Spring 2012 NewsletterMarch 29, 2012
- A case of 'medical informed consent' requires expert testimony of material risksPublished Case: White, et al. v. Leimbach 131 Ohio St.3d, 21, 2011-Ohio-6238, February 6, 2012
- In a Lack of Informed Consent Case, Expert Medical Testimony is Required to Establish Both the Risks and DangersDecember 8, 2011
- Party Hiring Counsel on Behalf of Corporation Must Have Authority To Do So and Not a “Dissident” Board MemberAugust 1, 2011
- 'Bona Fide Error Defense' in FDCPA Claim does not apply to violations resulting from debt collectors mistaken interpretationPublished Case - Jerman v. Carlisle, McNellie, Rini, Kramer & Ulrich LPA - 559 U.S. _____ 2010, 134 S. Ct. 1605, April 21, 2010
- Ohio Supreme Court Decision Permits Immediate Appeals from Discovery Orders Requiring Disclosure of Privileged MaterialsBy Martin T. GalvinDecember 14, 2016
- Ohio Supreme Court Rules Medical Malpractice Lawsuits Must Be Filed Within Four Years of Claimed InjuryBy Martin T. Galvin, Esq.October 25, 2016
- Eighth District Court of Appeals Limits Future Medical Damages Against Political Subdivisions Based on the Affordable Care ActBy Martin Galvin and Brian GannonAugust 9, 2016
- Ohio Supreme Court Rejects Attempt to Prosecute Medical Malpractice Lawsuit Without Expert TestimonyDecember 8, 2011
- May 13, 2010
- Ohio Supreme Court Holds That The Defense Of Lawsuit Does Not Constitute Waiver Of The Affirmative Defense Of Lack Of ServiceOctober 10, 2007