J.D., Case Western Reserve University, 1966
B.S. in B.A., Bucknell University, 1963
- State of Ohio, 1966
As a lawyer, I am driven by the advice that I received early on in my career from a wise judge: “Be slow to give your word, and quick to keep it.” I like to think of myself as someone who can be trusted by clients, judges and even by opposing counsel.
Leon has over forty years of experience in trust and estate litigation, will contests, fiduciary law, probate administration and estate planning. He is a nationally renowned attorney in his field and has been selected as a 'Best Lawyer in America', a 'Leading Lawyer' and an 'Ohio Super Lawyer' for years. He is a member of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, Ohio State Bar Association, and the Cleveland Bar Association where he served as a Member of the Board of Trustees and as General Chairman of the Cleveland Bar Association's Annual Estate Planning Institute.
Leon is a frequent lecturer and panelist on probate, estate planning, professional liability, and professional responsibilities issues for the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, the Ohio Legal Center Institute, the Jewish Welfare Federation, Case Western Reserve University School of Law, Cleveland Marshall College of Law, Cleveland Bar Association, County Bar Association, and the National Business Institute. Leon also serves as a mediator for private litigants.
Honors & Recognitions
Listed in The Best Lawyers in America for Litigation-Trusts and Estates and Trusts and Estates, since 1987
Selected as Best Lawyers Lawyer of the Year-Cleveland-2012 and 2014 for Trust and Estate Litigation
Recognized as a Super Lawyer by Ohio Super Lawyers Magazine for more than 10 years, Top 100 in Ohio, Top 50 in Cleveland
Rated AV® Preeminent™: Very Highly Rated in Both Legal Ability and Ethical Standards by Martindale Hubbell Peer Review
The Metropolitan Who's Who in Law
International Who's Who of Professionals
Marquis Who's Who in America in Finance and Business
International Who's Who of Professionals
Selected as a Leading Lawyer by Inside Business Magazine, December, 2001- 2010
Estate Planning Advisory Council, Case Western Reserve University
Listed as one of the leading Trust and Estate attorneys in the country in The American Lawyer, November, 2004-2007
Professional Memberships & Community Affiliations
American Bar Association
-Member, Probate & Trust Property Litigation Sections, Estate & Trust Litigation
-Committee/Subcommittee on Privileges and Experts
Ohio State Bar Association
-Member, Probate and Trust Section
Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
-Member, Estate Planning, Probate & Trust Law Section
American College of Trust & Estate Counsel
-Member, Fiduciary Litigation Committee/Evidence Subcommittee
"Our most sincere thanks for the excellent counsel and guidance you provided. We are thrilled with the results, which frankly, exceeded our expectations, especially pertaining to the deed."
"I would like to express my sincere thanks for the superb job you did on our behalf. When we first came to see you, we were basically at our emotional nadir. Hiring you was probably the first smart thing we did throughout the course of this ordeal and we are completely satisfied with your efforts and we are grateful for the kindness and consideration you and everyone at your office extended to each of us."
"Leon, it has been a true pleasure working with you. You are very capable, very intelligent, practical and best of all you have great common sense. As you know it's extremely rare to find anyone worth these attributes and very encouraging when you do find them. Thank you for the results you have achieved and for working with me on this."
- June 29, 2012, Judgment Affirmed9th Appellate Dist.
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment in probate will contest action.
- October 21, 2010, Judgment Affirmed For Appellee8th Appellate Dist
Plaintiff appealed trial court’s grant of summary judgment to charitable organization in a probate administration case
- Press Release, December 6, 2017
- Press Release, August 15, 2017
- “The Estate and Trust Dispute Resource Center of Ohio” Provides Valuable Resources and Information for Those Seeking Insight into Probate Dispute MattersPress Release, April 26, 2017
- Press Release, December 2, 2016
- Press Release, August 15, 2016
- Press Release, December 2, 2015
- Press Release, August 17, 2015
- Press Release, December 3, 2014
- Press Release, August 18, 2014
- Press Release, May 13, 2014
- Selection Includes 30 Super Lawyers and 16 Rising Stars Across Ohio and KentuckyPress Release, December 5, 2013
- Press Release, August 19, 2013
- August 16, 2013
- Press Release, December 17, 2012
- Press Release, August 24, 2012
- Press Release, December 16, 2011
- Press Release, October 7, 2011
- Press Release, August 31, 2011
- Best Practices and Duties of Trustees Fulfilling their ChargeThe Ohio State Bar Association Annual Convention - Columbus, OH, May 7, 2012
- Ohio Trust Code Three Years Later- Practical Applications and Issues- Jewish Community Federation of Cleveland 38th Annual Tax Seminar.Cleveland, OH, June 3, 2010
- "Adult Adoption and Beneficiary Status, the Current State of Ohio Law"- 2010- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel.Cleveland,OH, April 24, 2010
- Ethics in Regard to Probate Trust and Estate Planning, National City Bank and Key Bank Corp. SeminarCleveland, Ohio, December 9, 2008
- Hot Topics for Estate Planners, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association CLECleveland, Ohio, June 17, 2008
- Can a private settlement agreement be used to avoid litigation or end litigation?, Marvin R. Pliskin Advanced Probate & Estate Planning SeminarCleveland, Ohio, September 14, 2007
- September 1, 2012
- Charitable organization is entitled to bequest before apportionment of estate taxesPublished case:In re: Estate of Baltic 191 Ohio App. 3rd 354,2010-Ohio-5141, May 23, 2011
- "The Ohio Trust Code from the Litigator's Perspective"Probate Law Journal of Ohio, Volume 17, Issue 4, April 17, 2007
- Estate and Trust Dispute Center of Ohio, August 15, 2017