- Judicial Staff Attorney for the Honorable Judge Harry Hanna and the Honorable Judge Leo Spellacy of the Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Court Asbestos Docket
J.D., Case Western Reserve University School of Law, 2001
B.A., Yale University, 1996
- State of Ohio, 2001
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, 2005
As the son of immigrants, I learned at a very young age the value of hard work and integrity. I apply this work ethic to all the types of cases I handle, including torts, business disputes, retail and hospitality issues, and condominium association matters.
John joined Reminger Co. LPA in 2002 after serving as a Judicial Staff Attorney for Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Honorable Judge Harry A. Hanna and Honorable Judge Leo M. Spellacy, as well as numerous visiting Judges sitting by assignment from the Ohio Supreme Court.
Since joining Reminger, John has handled a wide variety of matters in the areas of general tort, commercial litigation, mass tort, intentional tort, creditor rights, products liability, retail and hospitality liability, trucking and commercial transportation and food adulteration claims. He has appeared in trial courts throughout the State of Ohio and has argued before many State Appellate Courts and the U.S. District Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit.
John has represented both plaintiffs and defendants, including individuals and businesses, in a broad spectrum of matters in state and federal courts, both jury and non-jury, in trial and arbitrations including TRO and preliminary injunction matters.
He has significant experience in transportation litigation, including semi-tractor trailer, bus, rail, and heavy equipment accidents, retail litigation, and complex personal injury litigation. John represented one of the nation's largest and most experienced freight carriers and its driver of a semi-tractor with double trailers, defeating wrongful death action alleging negligence.
John's broad experience also includes the representation of numerous condominium associations in actions brought by condominium owners alleging breach of fiduciary duty; the representation of regional and national retailers, hospitality and entertainment venues in actions involving claims of personal injury and false imprisonment arising out of claimed deficient security.
John is a member of various professional bar associations. He has served as Assistant National Coordinating Counsel for one of the manufacturers involved in Multi-District Welding Rod Litigation, and currently participates in the Ohio Supreme Court's Lawyer to Lawyer Mentoring Program, a one-on-one mentoring program designed to assist new lawyers as the begin their legal careers.
Honors & Recognitions
Recognized as a Rising Star and as a Super Lawyer by Ohio Super Lawyers Magazine
Professional Memberships & Community Affiliations
American Bar Association
Ohio State Bar Association
Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
Defense Research Institute
Academy of Hospitality Industry Attorneys (AHIA)
Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM)
-Ohio Publication Subcommittee
Global Alliance of Travel, Tourism, and Hospitality Attorneys (GATTHA)
- Koler, et al. v. Grand Harbour Condominium Owners’ AssociationJanuary 5, 2016, Finding For DefendantErie
Defense of condominium association in lawsuit by homeowners disputing assessments and authority for multi-million dollar repair project.
- C. Lindsley v. Dayton Freight Lines, Inc.April 15, 2015, Defense VerdictCuyahoga
Defense of trucking liability personal injury claim
- Y. Segun v. McDonald’s Restaurant, et al.August 1, 2013, Defense VerdictLorain
Arbitration defense of commercial premises liability personal injury claim
- June 27, 2013, Judgment Affirmed8th Appellate Dist
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment in commercial premises liability personal injury claim
- C. Nuniviller v. Franklyn Common Condominium Association, et al.July 31, 2012, Plaintiff VerdictLake
Defense of property damage non-profit D&O liability claim
- Carter Lumber Co. v. Fay's Mobile Homes, Inc.May 23, 2012, Motion to Dismiss for want of personal jurisdictionPortage
Breach of contract for goods allegedly supplied and not paid for in Bowling Green, KY.
- Takacs v. Wal-MartDecember 6, 2011, Favorable OutcomeCuyahoga
Arbitration defense of property damage commercial premise liability claim.
- Grzely v. ABF FreightOctober 31, 2011, Defense VerdictCuyahoga
Defense of wrongful death trucking liability claim.
- Bob Snider, dba Celebrity Tan v. David Mesar dba Time to Tan, et al.January 20, 2011, Favorable OutcomeMedina
Defense of multiple contractual claims and defense of counterclaims arising from purchase and sale of business
- G. Sisson v. Yellow Roadway Corp., et al.October 26, 2010, Finding For PlaintiffMontgomery
Defense of trucking liability personal injury claim.
- Andler v. Clear Channel BroadcastingAugust 11, 2009, AffirmedCook
a) The Court of Appeals, Cook, Circuit Judge, held that owner produced sufficient evidence to warrant a jury instruction on "open and obvious" hazards. b) Reversed and remanded.
- Jowers v. Arcos IndustriesMarch 6, 2008, Defense VerdictFederal Dist. Court, Northern Dist. of Ohio
Defense of federal welding rod class action litigation.
- Franklin v. Wal-MartMay 24, 2007, Finding For DefendantCleveland Municipal
Arbitration defense of property damage auto liability claim.
- State Farm Ins. Co. v. Associated Estates, Inc.April 7, 2007, Finding For DefendantCuyahoga
Arbitration defense of property damage subrogation commercial real estate claim.
- Press Release, December 2, 2016
- Press Release, December 2, 2015
- Press Release, December 3, 2014
- Selection Includes 30 Super Lawyers and 16 Rising Stars Across Ohio and KentuckyPress Release, December 5, 2013
- Press Release, December 17, 2012
- Press Release, December 16, 2011
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and Strategies for Defense of PTSD ClaimsHarmonie Transportation Conference, Dallas, TX, June 28, 2017
- Preparing for the Unexpected Civil Disobedience Protests Demonstration Affecting Retail & HospitalityThe Harmonie Group – Spring 2016 conference, New Orleans, LA, June 13, 2016
- Premises Security Claim ResolutionClaims and Litigation Management Alliance Continuing Education Seminar, Overland Park, KS, August 19, 2015
- Preparing for the Unexpected Civil Disobedience, Protest and RiotsHarmonie Retail & Hospitality Conference, Chicago, IL, October 28, 2014
- Preparing for the Unexpected: Civil Disobedience, Protests and Riots – What CommercialProprietors Need to KnowHarmonie Retail & Hospitality Seminar, Chicago, IL, October 15, 2014
- Using Criminal Background Checks to Make Employment DecisionsHarmonie Retail and Hospitality Fall Seminar - Toronto, Canada, September 28, 2013
- Ethical Considerations in Retail and Hospitality Claims LitigationAcademy of Hospitality Industry Attorneys Annual Conference - Alexandria, VA, April 26, 2013
- 'Open & Obvious' Defense Trumps Violation of Administrative RegulationsJuly 10, 2009
- Claim and Litigation Management Alliance – Litigation Management Magazine, Winter 2016, January 27, 2016
- As the World Turns Increased Risk Liability is Faced by Third Party Logistic Companies in the Trucking IndustryClaims & Litigation Alliance Management Magazine - Fall, 2012, November 1, 2012
- The test for the "Obvious and Open Danger" Doctrine in premises liability is an objective oneAugust 13, 2009
- "Open and Obvious" Defense Trumps Violation of Administrative RegulationsJuly 10, 2009
- U.S. Supreme Court Increases the Burden on Plaintiffs who seek toJuly 10, 2009
- New Commercial Disputes Judges AppointedFebruary 10, 2009
- By John B. StalzerDecember 15, 2014
- Ohio BWC Settles Premium Class Action Dispute: Ohio Businesses to Submit Refund Claim Forms by October 22, 2014By John StalzerOctober 9, 2014
- April 8, 2014
- December 24, 2013
- November 19, 2013
- May 12, 2011
- July 13, 2009
- July 13, 2009
- February 10, 2009