J.D., Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, 1983
B.A., Cleveland State University, 1980
- State of Ohio, 1983
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio, 1989
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, 1989
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1993
I find the practice of law to be one of the most creative endeavors that one can imagine and I enjoy the process of exploring new and different ways to resolve a matter on behalf of a client as expeditiously as possible.
Cliff serves as the General Counsel of Reminger, and as Co-Chair of the law firm’s Insurance Coverage/Bad Faith and Appellate Advocacy practice groups. He primarily focuses his practice on complex insurance coverage litigation, appellate practice, professional liability, oil and gas, and general liability. He practices in courts throughout the State of Ohio and provides representation to insurance clients in other states. In addition to having argued in the Ohio Supreme Court nine times, Cliff has litigated matters in virtually every appellate district in the State of Ohio, the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the United States Supreme Court.
Cliff has been a featured speaker on issues involving insurance coverage and litigation. He has been retained to act as an arbitrator on insurance coverage issues, and as an insurance expert, testifying on one occasion before the Royal Court of London. He has authored numerous articles in the area of insurance coverage law. Prior to joining Reminger, Cliff served as a judicial clerk to the Ohio Court of Claims and as a master commissioner at the Ohio Supreme Court for three years.
Cliff has been listed in Best Lawyers in America for Appellate Practice and Insurance Law since 2007. In fact, he was selected by Best Lawyers as “Lawyer of the Year for Appellate Practice – Cleveland” in 2015. He has also been honored as a “Super Lawyer” by Ohio Super Lawyers Magazine for the past nine years and has been named by them as a Top 100 Ohio Lawyer and a Top 50 Cleveland Lawyer.
Honors & Recognitions
Listed in Best Lawyers of America for Appellate Practice and Insurance Law, since 2007
Selected as Best Lawyers Lawyer of the Year 2015 – Appellate Practice – Cleveland
Recognized as a Super Lawyer in Ohio Super Lawyers Magazine
Named a Top 100 Ohio Lawyer and a Top 50 Cleveland Lawyer by Ohio Super Lawyers Magazine
- August 14, 2018, Judgment ReversedOhio Supreme Court
Defendants appealed adverse Court of Appeal decision reversing summary judgment based on statute of limitations.
- August 25, 2017, Defense verdict upheld8th Appellate Dist
Defense verdict to emergency physician involving allegations of failure to diagnose and treat diverticulitis. The court of appeals upheld the jury verdict and trial court's refusal to excuse a physician for cause as a prospective juror, and indicated that that decision as it relates to excusing jurors for cause due to impartiality is reviewed under an abuse of discretion standard.
- July 16, 2014, Reversed9th Appellate Dist.
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment in medical malpractice claim
- October 11, 2013, Judgment Affirmed6th Circuit Court of Appeals
Defendant appealed adverse trial court judgment of denial of insurance coverage
- July 11, 2013, Reversed5th Appellate Dist
Client- Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment dismissing claim for fraud, constructive trust and intentional interference of expectancy in inheritance
- Houdek v. ThyssenKruppDecember 6, 2012, Re-instatement of favorable trial court judgmentOhio Supreme Court
On behalf of employer, obtained Ohio Supreme Court reversal of Court of Appeal decision. Ohio Supreme Court reinstated favorable trial court summary judgment ruling on test of deliberate intent relative to employer intentional tort.
- October 25, 20128th Appellate Dist
Defendant-Appellant appealed trial courts granting of summary judgment in legal professional liability case
- June 29, 2012, Judgment Affirmed9th Appellate Dist.
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment in probate will contest action.
- September 29, 2010, Judgment Affirmed6th Appellate Dist
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment in claims for conversion of coal rights and injunctive relief against construction of utility pipeline.
- December 4, 2009, Reversed11th Appellate Dist
Reversing sanctions issued against Defendant physician for failure to proceed in good faith at mediation confrence since privileged communications should not have been disclosed in mediator's report
- March 30, 2009, Affirmed9th Appellate Dist.
Affirming denial of Defendant bank's motion to stay proceeding pending arbitration since arbitration provisions did not apply to class action claims.
- January 29, 2009, Affirmed8th Appellate Dist
Affirming order of probate court which determined that a trustee had the authority to make monthly distributions of funds to a contingency trust beneficiary
- November 11, 2008, Reversed8th Appellate Dist
Reversing summary judgment of medical malpractice claims granted in favor of Defendant surgeons since expert testimony created a genuine issue as to proximate causation of injuries
- August 27, 2008, Affirmed9th Appellate Dist.
Affirming summary judgment in favor of Defendant since Plaintiff failed to establish a prima facie claim of medical malpractice without adequate expert testimony.
- August 7, 2008, Affirmed8th Appellate Dist
Affirming summary judgment in favor of Defendant since Plaintiff could not have relied upon Defendant's alleged representations prior to sale of apartment building
- July 26, 2007, Reversed8th Appellate Dist
Reversing jury verdict rendered in favor of Defendant doctor in medical malpractice suit because trial court erred in prohibiting Plaintiff's testimonial statements
- March 21, 2007, ReversedSupreme Court of Ohio
Reversing appellate court's denial of insurance company's motion for summary judgment since contractual exclusion of vehicles designed for use mainly off public roads from uninsured and underinsured coverage was valid.
- March 1, 2007, Reversed8th Appellate Dist
Reversing jury verdict rendered in favor of Defendants doctors in medical malpractice suit due to a jury instruction given at trial which probably misled the jury in a matter substantially affecting the complaining party's substantial rights.
- City of Sharonville v. American Employers Ins. (United National)May 19, 2006, Decision AffirmedSupreme Court of Ohio
Insurance carrier client appeals from an adverse ruling at the trial court finding coverage in a governmental liability complaint alleging ostensible intentional conduct by insured’s agents
- Sharonville v. American Employers Ins. Co.June 17, 2005, Judgment ReversedSharonville v. American Employers Ins. Co.
Plaintiff appeals adverse trial court ruling on declaratory judgment seeking coverage under governmental liability insurance policy.
- City of Sharonville v. United National Ins. Co.September 3, 2004, Affirmed1st Dist. Ct. of App.
Plaintiff City appeals adverse trial court judgment denying coverage for murder “cover up” conspiracy claim.
- Henderson v. LuhriAugust 5, 2002, Decision Affirmed5th Dist. Ct. Appeals
Appeal of trial court’s judgment entry denying Defendant/Appellant’s Motion to Intervene.
- Press Release, August 15, 2018
- Brian C. Lee, Allison M. McMeechan, Clifford C. Masch, and Julian T. Emerson Assume Management Roles for Select Practice AreasPress Release, May 25, 2018
- Press Release, December 6, 2017
- Press Release, August 15, 2017
- Press Release, August 8, 2017
- Press Release, December 2, 2016
- Press Release, August 15, 2016
- Press Release, December 2, 2015
- Press Release, August 17, 2015
- Press Release, December 3, 2014
- Four Reminger Co., LPA Attorneys Named Best Lawyers® 2015 "Lawyer of the Year" in Various Practice AreasAdam Fried, Frank Leonetti, III, Clifford Masch and William Meadows HonoredPress Release, August 18, 2014
- Press Release, August 18, 2014
- Selection Includes 30 Super Lawyers and 16 Rising Stars Across Ohio and KentuckyPress Release, December 5, 2013
- August 16, 2013
- Press Release, December 17, 2012
- Clifford Masch in Plain Dealer Article on Ohio Supreme Court Decision Involving Ohio Intentional Tort StatuteThe Plain Dealer, December 10, 2012
- Press Release, August 24, 2012
- Press Release, December 16, 2011
- Press Release, August 31, 2011
- EC Defense Network, Webinar, January 23, 2018
- Advanced Issues in Insurance Law CoverageAkron Bar Association, Akron, OH, December 19, 2016
- Issues that Arise in Tri-Party Insurance RelationshipsCleveland Metropolitan Bar Assn. Insurance Law CLE, Cleveland, OH, June 7, 2016
- Stacking Insurance Coverage and Uninsured Motorist Set-offsNational Business Institute CLE Seminar, Cleveland, OH, April 8, 2016
- Bad Faith Damages: It’s All in the RemedyCleveland Metropolitan Bar Assn. Annual CLE – Insurance Coverage Issues, Cleveland, OH, May 29, 2015
- Ramifications of Providing Defense Under Reservation of RightsEndurance Insurance Company Claim Staff, New York, NY, May 27, 2015
- Stacking of Insurance Coverage and Uninsured Motorist Set-OffsNational Business Institute CLE Seminar, Cleveland, OH, December 6, 2014
- Reservations and Reservation of Rights in Insurance CoverageNortheast Ohio Association of Corporate Counsel, October 23, 2014
- Strategies and Considerations for the Policyholder When a Carrier Provides a Defense Under a Reservation of RightsNetworking & CLE Event geared toward In House Counsel that highlights the play that exists in insurance coverage issues. Come for the CLE, stay for the refreshments and networking to follow!Northeast Ohio Chapter of the Association of Corporate Counsel, Sherwin Williams Landmark Conference room -101 W. Prospect Avenue, 9th Floor - Cleveland, Ohio, October 16, 2014
- Coverage in Professional Liability RisksAllied World Assurance Webinar - Hartford, CT, November 15, 2013
- Future of Employer Intentional Torts - Ohio State Bar AssnCLE Seminar on Workers’ Comp. and Employment Practices - Cleveland, OH, September 24, 2013
- The Tripartite Relationship in Insurance RepresentationAkron Bar Association CLE - Akron, OH, June 7, 2013
- The Fundamentals of Insurance Coverage in Medical Malpractice PoliciesSouth Pointe Hospital Staff - Cleveland, OH, March 18, 2013
- Strategies for Litigating a Coverage CaseAkron Bar Association CLE - Akron, OH, October 30, 2012
- The Ins and Outs of Insurance ContractsLake County Common Pleas Judges and Bar Association CLE - Mentor, OH, October 18, 2012
- Advanced Issues in Insurance LawOhio State Bar Association CLE - Columbus, OH, August 23, 2012
- Insurance Coverage for Punitive Damages and Intentional Torts in the United StatesFirst Party Claims Conference - Providence, RI, October 19, 2011
- Defense Counsel and the Making of Decisions in Insurance Coverage DisputesOhio Judicial College Conference - Cleveland, OH, June 24, 2011
- Calculation and Proving LossNational Business Institute Insurance Law Seminar - Cleveland, OH, May 12, 2011
- Using Effective Remedies And Ethics To Combat 'Rambo' Litigation TacticsNational Business Institute CLE Seminar - Cleveland, OH, July 30, 2010
- June 10, 2010
- Pre-Appeal ConsiderationsApril 28, 2009
- Settling Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Claims, National Business Institute SeminarCleveland, OH, December 19, 2008
- Insurance Coverage and Bad Faith Issues That Arise in Risk Retention Group Policies, National Risk Retention Association Annual ConferenceWashington, DC, September 24, 2008
- Forms of Self-Insurance and Agent Broker Liability, Lorman Continuing Legal Education SeminarCleveland, Ohio, April 8, 2008
- Litigation Bad Faith Insurance Claims, National Business Institute CLECleveland, Ohio, April 1, 2008
- Common Types of Insurance Coverage Disputes, National Business Institute CLE SeminarCleveland, Ohio, October 17, 2007
- Insurance Coverage Law, Cleveland Marshall College of Law CLE SeminarCleveland, Ohio, September 29, 2007
- Bad Faith in Commercial Insurance Coverage Disputes, Royal & SunAlliance National Claims OfficeCharlotte, NC, February 23, 2007
- How to Get Your Expert Testimony Admitted in Ohio, National Business Institute CLEFebruary 16, 2007
- Ohio Lawyer July/August 2018 Issue, July 2018
- Applying Ohio’s tort reform legislation to a situation where a non-party is immune from the tort liability in issue has resulted in contradictory holdings.Ohio Lawyer, Vol. 30., No. 5 , September 2016
- Published case: Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Assn. v. Schiff 139 Ohio St. 3d 456, 2014-Ohio-2573, June 18, 2014
- Absent a deliberate intent to injury another an employer is not liable for a claim alleging an employer intentional tort - Published Case: Houdek v. ThyssenKrupp MaterialsPublished Case: Houdek v. ThyssenKrupp Materials, April 1, 2013
- Employees attorney was not authorized to complete, sign and submit application on employees behalf to change beneficiaries to retirement accountPublished-Farmer, et al v. Berry, et al., 2012-Ohio-4940, February 18, 2013
- Crain's Cleveland Business – Legal Advisor - February 4, 2013, February 4, 2013
- September 1, 2012
- PLUS Journal, Vol. 24, No. 5, May 20, 2011
- Duty to Defend and Intentional Act ExclusionReminger Insurance Coverage/ Bad Faith Quarterly Newsletter Spring 2010, June 1, 2010
- April 1, 2010
- Bad Faith Litigation: The Attorney Client PrivilegeMarch 5, 2009
- March 1, 2009
- Monitoring the PIE LiquidationOhio Lawyer, November 1998
- The Ohio Supreme Court Confirms that the Ohio Saving Statute Does Not Apply to Actions Previously Commenced in Another State Court or in a Federal Court Located in Another StateBy Clifford C. Masch, Esq.September 5, 2018
- Court Finds That E&O Policy Dishonesty Exclusion Negates Coverage Where Underlying Tortious Claims Were Also Found to be the Subject of a Civil ConspiracyBy Clifford MaschApril 23, 2018
- U.S. Supreme Court Rules on Standing and “Concrete” Injury in Class Actions - Spokeo, Inc. v. Robins, U.S. S.Ct. No 13-1339 (May 16, 2016)By Clifford MaschJune 7, 2016
- Ohio Supreme Court Rules that a Plaintiff Cannot Maintain a Class Action under the OCSPA without Proof that all Proposed Class Members were InjuredBy Clifford MaschDecember 7, 2015
- August 7, 2013
- December 13, 2012
- August 20, 2009