J.D., Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, 1983
B.A., Cleveland State University, 1980
- State of Ohio, 1983
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio, 1989
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, 1989
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1993
I find the practice of law to be one of the most creative endeavors that one can imagine and I enjoy the process of exploring new and different ways to resolve a matter on behalf of a client as expeditiously as possible.
Prior to joining Reminger Co., L.P.A. in 1989, Cliff served as a judicial clerk to the Ohio Court of Claims and as a master commissioner at the Ohio Supreme Court for three years. Cliff primarily focuses his practice on complex insurance coverage litigation, appellate practice, professional liability and general liability. He practices in courts throughout the State of Ohio as well as representation of insurance clients in other states. Cliff has also argued in virtually every appellate district in the State of Ohio, the Ohio Supreme Court has well as the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Cliff has repeatedly been a featured speaker on issues involving insurance coverage practice and litigation issues. He has been retained to act as an expert and arbitrator on insurance coverage issues. He has also authored numerous articles in the area of insurance coverage law.
Honors & Recognitions
- July 16, 2014, Reversed9th Appellate Dist.
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment in medical malpractice claim
- October 11, 2013, Judgment Affirmed6th Circuit Court of Appeals
Defendant appealed adverse trial court judgment of denial of insurance coverage
- July 11, 2013, Reversed5th Appellate Dist
Client- Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment dismissing claim for fraud, constructive trust and intentional interference of expectancy in inheritance
- Houdek v. ThyssenKruppDecember 6, 2012, ReversedOhio Supreme Court
We appealed Court of Appeal reversal of favorable trial court judgment on test of deliberate intent for Plaintiff to make prima facie case based on employer intentional tort.
- October 25, 20128th Appellate Dist
Defendant-Appellant appealed trial courts granting of summary judgment in legal professional liability case
- June 29, 2012, Judgment Affirmed9th Appellate Dist.
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment in probate will contest action.
- September 29, 2010, Judgment Affirmed6th Appellate Dist
Plaintiff appealed adverse trial court judgment in claims for conversion of coal rights and injunctive relief against construction of utility pipeline.
- December 4, 2009, Reversed11th Appellate Dist
Reversing sanctions issued against Defendant physician for failure to proceed in good faith at mediation confrence since privileged communications should not have been disclosed in mediator's report
- March 30, 2009, Affirmed9th Appellate Dist.
Affirming denial of Defendant bank's motion to stay proceeding pending arbitration since arbitration provisions did not apply to class action claims.
- January 29, 2009, Affirmed8th Appellate Dist
Affirming order of probate court which determined that a trustee had the authority to make monthly distributions of funds to a contingency trust beneficiary
- November 11, 2008, Reversed8th Appellate Dist
Reversing summary judgment of medical malpractice claims granted in favor of Defendant surgeons since expert testimony created a genuine issue as to proximate causation of injuries
- August 27, 2008, Affirmed9th Appellate Dist.
Affirming summary judgment in favor of Defendant since Plaintiff failed to establish a prima facie claim of medical malpractice without adequate expert testimony.
- August 7, 2008, Affirmed8th Appellate Dist
Affirming summary judgment in favor of Defendant since Plaintiff could not have relied upon Defendant's alleged representations prior to sale of apartment building
- July 26, 2007, Reversed8th Appellate Dist
Reversing jury verdict rendered in favor of Defendant doctor in medical malpractice suit because trial court erred in prohibiting Plaintiff's testimonial statements
- March 21, 2007, ReversedSupreme Court of Ohio
Reversing appellate court's denial of insurance company's motion for summary judgment since contractual exclusion of vehicles designed for use mainly off public roads from uninsured and underinsured coverage was valid.
- March 1, 2007, Reversed8th Appellate Dist
Reversing jury verdict rendered in favor of Defendants doctors in medical malpractice suit due to a jury instruction given at trial which probably misled the jury in a matter substantially affecting the complaining party's substantial rights.
- Selection Includes 41 Super Lawyers and 17 Rising Stars Across Ohio and KentuckyPress Release, December 5, 2013
- August 16, 2013
- Press Release, December 17, 2012
- Clifford Masch in Plain Dealer Article on Ohio Supreme Court Decision Involving Ohio Intentional Tort StatuteThe Plain Dealer, December 10, 2012
- Press Release, August 24, 2012
- Press Release, December 16, 2011
- Press Release, August 31, 2011
- Coverage in Professional Liability RisksAllied World Assurance Webinar - Hartford, CT, November 15, 2013
- Future of Employer Intentional Torts - Ohio State Bar AssnCLE Seminar on Workers’ Comp. and Employment Practices - Cleveland, OH, September 24, 2013
- The Tripartite Relationship in Insurance RepresentationAkron Bar Association CLE - Akron, OH, June 7, 2013
- The Fundamentals of Insurance Coverage in Medical Malpractice PoliciesSouth Pointe Hospital Staff - Cleveland, OH, March 18, 2013
- Strategies for Litigating a Coverage CaseAkron Bar Association CLE - Akron, OH, October 30, 2012
- The Ins and Outs of Insurance ContractsLake County Common Pleas Judges and Bar Association CLE - Mentor, OH, October 18, 2012
- Advanced Issues in Insurance LawOhio State Bar Association CLE - Columbus, OH, August 23, 2012
- Insurance Coverage for Punitive Damages and Intentional Torts in the United StatesFirst Party Claims Conference - Providence, RI, October 19, 2011
- Defense Counsel and the Making of Decisions in Insurance Coverage DisputesOhio Judicial College Conference - Cleveland, OH, June 24, 2011
- Calculation and Proving LossNational Business Institute Insurance Law Seminar - Cleveland, OH, May 12, 2011
- Using Effective Remedies And Ethics To Combat 'Rambo' Litigation TacticsNational Business Institute CLE Seminar - Cleveland, OH, July 30, 2010
- June 10, 2010
- Pre-Appeal ConsiderationsApril 28, 2009
- Settling Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Claims, National Business Institute SeminarCleveland, OH, December 19, 2008
- Insurance Coverage and Bad Faith Issues That Arise in Risk Retention Group Policies, National Risk Retention Association Annual ConferenceWashington, DC, September 24, 2008
- Forms of Self-Insurance and Agent Broker Liability, Lorman Continuing Legal Education SeminarCleveland, Ohio, April 8, 2008
- Litigation Bad Faith Insurance Claims, National Business Institute CLECleveland, Ohio, April 1, 2008
- Common Types of Insurance Coverage Disputes, National Business Institute CLE SeminarCleveland, Ohio, October 17, 2007
- Insurance Coverage Law, Cleveland Marshall College of Law CLE SeminarCleveland, Ohio, September 29, 2007
- Bad Faith in Commercial Insurance Coverage Disputes, Royal & SunAlliance National Claims OfficeCharlotte, NC, February 23, 2007
- How to Get Your Expert Testimony Admitted in Ohio, National Business Institute CLEFebruary 16, 2007
- Absent a deliberate intent to injury another an employer is not liable for a claim alleging an employer intentional tort - Published Case: Houdek v. ThyssenKrupp MaterialsPublished Case: Houdek v. ThyssenKrupp Materials, April 1, 2013
- Employees attorney was not authorized to complete, sign and submit application on employees behalf to change beneficiaries to retirement accountPublished-Farmer, et al v. Berry, et al., 2012-Ohio-4940, February 18, 2013
- Crain's Cleveland Business – Legal Advisor - February 4, 2013, February 4, 2013
- September 1, 2012
- PLUS Journal, Vol. 24, No. 5, May 20, 2011
- Duty to Defend and Intentional Act ExclusionReminger Insurance Coverage/ Bad Faith Quarterly Newsletter Spring 2010, June 1, 2010
- April 1, 2010
- Bad Faith Litigation: The Attorney Client PrivilegeMarch 5, 2009
- March 1, 2009
- Monitoring the PIE LiquidationOhio Lawyer, November 1998