J.D., Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, 2007
-Cleveland-Marshall Law Academic Scholarship
-Dean's List Four Semesters
B.A, Wright State University, cum laude, 2004
-Phi Alpha Theta History Honor Society
-Golden Key International Honour Society
-Outstanding History Student Merit Scholarship
-Legislative Intern at Ohio State Senate
- State of Ohio, 2007
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio, 2008
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio, 2016
I take pride in helping employers through difficult situations and working with them to achieve the best possible outcome. If employers want to give themselves the best chance of avoiding human resources issues, I always give one basic piece of advice - be proactive, not reactive.
Arthur’s practice focuses on advising and defending employers of all sizes. Arthur has defended employers in federal and state court, as well as before the OCRC, EEOC, OSHA, and MSHA. Arthur counsels employers dealing with day-to-day human resources issues, revises and drafts employee handbooks to ensure businesses stay compliant with the frequent changes in employment laws, and handles directors and officers liability defense matters.
Arthur also advocates for employers in workers’ compensation claims before the Ohio Industrial Commission, in common pleas court, and the Ohio courts of appeal.
Arthur frequently publishes articles and gives presentations regarding new developments in employment and workers’ compensation law.
A native of southwest Ohio, Arthur graduated from Cleveland-Marshall College of Law in 2007, and Wright State University in 2004.
Professional Memberships & Community Affiliations
Ohio State Bar Association
Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Press Release, September 15, 2015
- Common Pitfalls With Employee HandbooksThe Alternative Board’s Next Generation, Medina, OH, June 21, 2017
- Human Resource Issues that Every Supervisor Must Know to the CorePeer to Peer Chief Financial Officer Board of Northeast Ohio, Wadsworth, OH, February 24, 2017
- Employer Drug Alcohol Testing and Background Checks of Prospective EmployeesThe Alternative Board of Northeast Ohio, Medina, OH, February 15, 2017
- Sheakley Uniservice claim managers and staff, Cincinnati, OH, September 24, 2016
- Complex Issues in Workers’ Comp.National Business Institute CLE, Cleveland, OH, June 15, 2016
- Defending Workers’ Compensation Claims, Human Resources from A to Z CLE: Handling Workers’ Compensation ClaimsNational Business Institute, December 2, 2015
- Drafting Employee Handbooks, Human Resources from A to Z CLE: Imperative Information That Every Employee Handbook Should ContainNational Business Institute, December 1, 2015
- SHRM Medina County, October 27, 2015
- Northeast Ohio Chapter of the Association of Corporate Counsel, Landmark Conference Center, 9th Floor, September 10, 2015
- Employment Law Developments for 2014-2015Northeast Ohio Chapter of Association of Corporate Counsel, Cleveland OH, September 8, 2015
- Workers' Compensation Legal UpdateSheakley UniCorp Claims Examiner Training Seminar, June 17, 2015
- Workers’ Compensation Legal UpdateCompManagment, Inc. Claims Examiner Training Seminar, February 17, 2015
- Post-Shift Security Screens Are Not Compensable Work TimeJD Supra Business Adivsor, February 2015
- NLRB Holds That Employees Can Use Company Email for Union and Other Protected CommunicationsJD Supra Business Advisor, January 2015
- Employee Misclassification is an Easy, and Costly, MistakeJD Supra Business Advisor, November 2014
- High Court Rejects “Dual Purpose” Doctrine for Workers’ Compensation ClaimsJD Supra Business Adivsor, November 2014
- Why Do I Need an Employment Handbook?WHP Newsletter, May 2014
- By Arthur W. Brumett IIMarch 13, 2017